Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5679 posts
661 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC

Plagiarism/Copyright in Postings

I have recently noticed a number of postings in which the poster rips part or all of an article from another website.

The poster then posts the content without attribution, wirhout providing a link and without acknowledging the possible copyright of the content.

Commonly the source is a commercial news site such as a newspaper or television/online news provider.

I have made a few reports of these. Subsequently the postings have remained in place and unchanged.

I checked the forum rules and, sure enough, there is nothing in the rules about plagiarism/copyright. I would have thought though that the unacceptability of plagiarism and/or copyright issues would be self-evident.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
13 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
9309 posts
13825 upvotes
Scarborough
While there is no direct reference to this in our rules we do not allow entire editorial pieces to be posted and excerpts should include a link back to the original article. PM me any instances where you feel your reports weren't handled properly and I'll take a look.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Sep 27, 2003
8906 posts
1898 upvotes
Newmarket
TomRFD wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 7:20 pm
While there is no direct reference to this in our rules we do not allow entire editorial pieces to be posted and excerpts should include a link back to the original article. PM me any instances where you feel your reports weren't handled properly and I'll take a look.
Perhaps worth adding to the rules? I agree with the OP, other works should be referenced / credited accordingly.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
May 8, 2009
5503 posts
1940 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
WorldIRC wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 8:20 pm
Perhaps worth adding to the rules? I agree with the OP, other works should be referenced / credited accordingly.
+1

I have done a lot of clean-up and reminders in OT for this. I think there's definitely room for adding a rule against direct plagiarism.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Aug 20, 2009
6492 posts
1132 upvotes
Grimsby
I saw one or two of these on the weekend I think from Off-Topic. One of them the poster included the reporters name/email so I just assumed the link was accidentally omitted. Can't remember the other offhand, there was a lot of reports that day. I'll keep it in mind for the future though, cheers. A rule would definitely help in explaining it to people.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9081 posts
3523 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
9309 posts
13825 upvotes
Scarborough
WorldIRC wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 8:20 pm
Agreed.

The staff will discuss this and make an amendment to the rules soon.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5679 posts
661 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
TomRFD wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 10:12 am
Agreed.

The staff will discuss this and make an amendment to the rules soon.
This seems to be continuing in OT.

For example, there were a couple of instances in the “The Senate and Marijuana Legalization Bill” thread recently.

God
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
9309 posts
13825 upvotes
Scarborough
MexiCanuck wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 12:08 am
This seems to be continuing in OT.

For example, there were a couple of instances in the “The Senate and Marijuana Legalization Bill” thread recently.
Did you report it? If you did and nothing was done please PM me the links.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5679 posts
661 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
TomRFD wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 4:46 pm
Did you report it? If you did and nothing was done please PM me the links.
I reported it.

My experience with reporting has been such that I no longer ask to be notified of the result.

God
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
9309 posts
13825 upvotes
Scarborough
MexiCanuck wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 1:51 am
I reported it.

My experience with reporting has been such that I no longer ask to be notified of the result.
We did update our rules regarding this so if you're reporting things and nothing is happening as a result, please bring it to my attention.
Dec 27, 2017
95 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Not trying to be a muckraker but since this discussion has been launched, respectfully, I'm wondering where is the difference between posting large chunks of copyrighted content vs users posting links to services whose entire business proposition is selling access to content via IPTV that is in violation of numerous copyright holders?

RFD to me is a place to find good, legal, deals on products and services.

The promotion of services that willfully violate copyright and effectively sell without permission the intellectual property of others seems to be way out of RFD's reason for being. Am I wrong?
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
9309 posts
13825 upvotes
Scarborough
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 10:01 pm
Ooo sometimes i do the reference lazily...
“I saw this in the star”

Is that acceptable? full links are probably better
Since the entire article shouldn't be included in the post, a link to view the full thing should be included.