• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2018 11:46 pm
[OP]
Jun 30, 2008
46 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto

Plan to visit in Paris in June

Hi - I am planning to visit in Paris in the first week of June. I have 2 kids (8-10 yr). I have questions.
1. How many days will be enough to visit Paris and which place should I visit. Can I visit places without any guide.
2. Will I have to book 1 room with 2 queen bad OR book 2 rooms because I saw in internet that kids can not be stay in same room with the parents in Europe. In North America kids can stay with parents in big room during travel. It saves money. If I will have to book 2 rooms then price will go up for me.
3. Any hotel recommendations?
4. Any other advise?
24 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1403 posts
400 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
I've never been to Paris so can't offer any advice on it, but I do have a tip for you.

Whatever hotel you book, you will no doubt find expensive. Prior to your trip if there happens to be a terrorist attack in Paris, cancel your booking and book a new one within two or three days of the attack. Chances are the prices will have dropped substantially.
A friend of mine went to Europe this past summer and did that three times. First one was in London, he cancelled his original reservation and booked a hotel near where the attack was.
Not long after there was another attack, I believe near Brussels. He was planning on going to Belgium so booked in Brussels.
While there an attack happened in Spain. Madrid? He wasn't planning on going to Spain but changed his plans.
Every hotel he booked following an attack had greatly reduced prices. And while there security was very tight, lessening the odds of another attack.

Not something you hope for, but if it happens....
Diversity is Our Burden
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4093 posts
573 upvotes
kenny_gua wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 11:01 pm
Hi - I am planning to visit in Paris in the first week of June. I have 2 kids (8-10 yr). I have questions.
1. How many days will be enough to visit Paris and which place should I visit. Can I visit places without any guide.
2. Will I have to book 1 room with 2 queen bad OR book 2 rooms because I saw in internet that kids can not be stay in same room with the parents in Europe. In North America kids can stay with parents in big room during travel. It saves money. If I will have to book 2 rooms then price will go up for me.
4. Any other advise?
it was long ago when we went thru Europe (Paris included) but I never heard about this (2 rooms) rule, we went with kids and stayed in 1 room (in Paris - forgot the hotel name) ...
in Paris plan/book the hotel way ahead , consider hotel out of the "down town" but close to the "subway" it may be way cheaper (but not cheap - nothing is cheap in Paris )
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3649 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto
kenny_gua wrote:
4. Any other advise?
I have been to Paris a few times. It really depends what you want to do there. Shopping or Sight seeing or both. The last time i did it, i bought a hop on and off bus pass, it will take you to all the sight seeing places and if you get bored of that you can get off and do some shopping and hop back onto the bus later. I have never heard of that 2 room thing and i usually book airbnb. Just beware of your surroundings and watch your wallets and stuff. Nothing too special just like any places you go to in Europe
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4147 posts
2181 upvotes
kenny_gua wrote:
4. Any other advise?
Don’t know what you read ... but perhaps the issue is in the interpretation.
Unlike NA there are far fewer accommodations in the rest of the world that offer rooms with 2 beds in the same room.
Consequently they are much harder to find... so people end up having to pay for 2 rooms not one when they travel with kids.
May 8, 2016
182 posts
78 upvotes
Barrie
We'll be in Paris in May. This is our first visit also. I have not seen anything to say that it's not allowed to have parents/kids in the same room, but perhaps there's some confusion because many rooms seem to be no bigger than broom closets. We struggled to find any hotel that could accommodate 2 adults and 2 children comfortably and so we opted for an AirBNB instead. You should consider AirBNB or a family dormitory room in a hostel.
Sep 12, 2012
425 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
Hotel rooms in Paris are very, very, small. If you can find a room with 2 beds, that room may be more expensive than 2 small rooms at a boutique hotel. Just do your research on the hotel and size of the rooms before booking. Elevators are pretty tight as well so pack as light as possible.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8040 posts
672 upvotes
We're booked for April. It's not that the hotels do not allow 2 kids in a room with 2 adults. It's that most room are not sized for families of 4.

We are booked (using points) for a big brand hotel in a "family room" that allows 4. Paying cash though, it'd be literally around $900/night.
Sep 4, 2013
90 posts
86 upvotes
Edmonton
We are going in July and booked the Fraser suites at La Défense. It’s out further but has everything we want for a family of 4. Kitchen, washer dryer, 2 separate rooms with 4 beds. It even comes with a smartphone for you to use. I know it’s further but it really works for us. The extra 30minutes each day won’t kill us. Sleeping in the same room and have us wake up each other all night will

Full disclosure, I have stayed in other Fraser suites in UK but never to Paris. But it’s ranked very well on trip advisor.
Oct 26, 2003
30 posts
6 upvotes
Caledon
IMO: Look for what’s in your budget, however one thing I’ve learned over the years is to even though it’s more expensive is to stay in the core, when I first started traveling I used to stay on the outskirts to save money but would find myself spending hours travelling to and from hotel sitting in car/bus/train :S staying in the core eliminates renting a car or private hire or public transportation leaves you more time to do ‘stuff’ that you want to. and makes it real easy to get back as early or late as you want to without much hassle.

Also in Paris do the hop on hop of red double decker bus tour to get a lay of the land do the full route learn with the audio guide then next round hop of at the sites that interest you. And you can ride all day :)

Ps I must say the Eiffel Tower is something to behold!
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1508 posts
827 upvotes
If you don't want to be stuck with the hop off/on bus routes just get a Paris Visite card for zones 1-3 (you won't need further out unless you plan on taking the RER to the airport or to Versailles).
The Metro and RER go everywhere a tourist might want to go, you'll probably never need a taxi or bus.
https://www.ratp.fr/en/visite-paris/eng ... ravel-pass

Probably easier to call for one of those airport shuttle vans to go between hotel and airport (since you'll have heavy luggage plus kids to keep track of; wouldn't want to have to do that on crowded commuter rail) but for checking out the sights, RATP is your friend...
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3939 posts
1342 upvotes
Toronto
We booked here in March: https://www.staycity.com/paris/. Its near Gard de L”est. Looks like enough room for us, 2 adults, 2 kids and its convenient for the train and easy to get to the metro. Reviews sound decent too.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1041 posts
371 upvotes
OTTAWA
kenny_gua wrote:
4. Any other advise?
With two kids you will probably be better off with airbnb or the like. If you are set on a hotel you could try some American chain hotels for a room with two double beds. You will see if you plug in two adults and two kids on expedia it will give you few reasonable options.
Nov 3, 2002
854 posts
59 upvotes
using any of the travel sites (expedia etc) you can put in that you are 2 adults and 2 children and it will find suitable accomodation.
The thing in europe is that the larger rooms that can accommodate you are very few in a hotel and the price is much higher. Sometime almost 2 times the cost of a double room.
So in europe you will be paying alot for hotel accommodation. If you are comfortable with the idea you may look into airbnb or vrbo.

Anyways, I suggest you stay in the 7th arrondissement area. it is waking distance to the eiffel tower.
Some nice pedestrian streets nearby (Rue Cler) . and easy metro access to louvre, notre dame, arch de triomphe, and all the highlights. Take a half day trip to Palace of Versailles on the local train.
You don't need a person to guide you. By a guide book (I prefer rick steves books) .
And have a great time exploring.
Jan 8, 2012
382 posts
127 upvotes
Williams Lake
If it's a sunny Sunday (or any day, for that matter), go to the Luxembourg Gardens and have a picnic.

Let the kids float the boats on the pond while you relax in the sun.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive to stop when you're in an attraction-filled city like Paris for only a few days, but I really enjoyed spending a bit of time with "ordinary" Parisians.