Plan to visit in Paris in June

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2018 11:46 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
19886 posts
1640 upvotes
Toronto
We stayed at the Holiday Inn near the Notre Dame - the rooms are a bit bigger and the rates were reasonable....and easily within walking distance to the Notre Dame.

Also grab a gyro in the Latin Quarter.....so awesome!!

Lots to do in Paris:

1. Check out the Louvre (might be a bit boring for the kids) but also check outside the Louvre and take lots of pics
2. Since you are at the Louvre, walk over to the Jardin De Tuilleries\Luxomburg - eat at one of the parks cafes and people watch - the kids will love to use the boats in the built-in ponds (you have to rent them)
3. Musee D'Orsay
4. Walk along Champs Elysses towards Arc de Triomphe - a bit more touristy but can also grab a bite
5. Visit Eiffel Tower (don't need to necessarily go up) - take lots of pics
6. Walk along the Seinne River - there are pop up kiosks and cafes along the bottom walkway
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3410 posts
343 upvotes
I've only been to Paris a few times (6 or 7 times), but each time in a different location. I've stayed at a hotel in La Defense, a hostel in Montmartre (during my backpacking days), airbnb in Marais, a hotel in Bagnolet, an apartment rental in Latin Quarter (not through airbnb), hmm... I don't remember the others.

You'll find American-style hotels in La Defense, which caters mostly with business travelers. Because of this, most offer discounts during the weekends. You'll find rooms with double beds here. Apartment rentals is another good option. You can find 2-bedroom apartments for short-term rent all around Paris.

Stick to the inner arrondisements, although I prefer to divide Paris by neighborhoods (just like I do with London). So Marais, St. Germain, Latin Quarter are all good. The areas around Place Vendome and Palais Garnier are the ritzy part. Montmartre is a picturesque neighborhood but might be a bit far (from a walking perspective) to the center. Personally, I love the Marais with its narrow streets, well-preserved pre-Haussmannian buildings, and its central location.

If there is one tourist attraction to go to, it would be Sainte Chapelle. When I backpacked around Europe, I visited all the top sights. Sainte Chapelle is the only one I bothered visiting on my subsequent trips (been there 3 times actually). The others I did not even bother. One thing I come to hate is queueing. If I have to queue for more than 15 min, I don't even bother.
Dec 22, 2011
326 posts
65 upvotes
Oakville
I'm in the same boat looking for a room for family of four for three nights in August but my kids are a little older at 14 and 11.I've already booked 4 nights in London at the Holiday inn express London center only because we got 2 nights free with air miles.This room only has a double bed and double sofa bed so I'm praying we can get a rollaway bed as well as my son is taller than me.I might try air bnb for Paris but I'm scared I'll be the one that gets scamed with nowhere to go.Let me know what u find and I'll do the same for u if I see anything decent.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1367 upvotes
Toronto
nicry1 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 3:06 pm
I'm in the same boat looking for a room for family of four for three nights in August but my kids are a little older at 14 and 11.I've already booked 4 nights in London at the Holiday inn express London center only because we got 2 nights free with air miles.This room only has a double bed and double sofa bed so I'm praying we can get a rollaway bed as well as my son is taller than me.I might try air bnb for Paris but I'm scared I'll be the one that gets scamed with nowhere to go.Let me know what u find and I'll do the same for u if I see anything decent.
Look at the Novotels. We just changed our booking, its $200/night, which I think its reasonable for Paris. Sleeps four in a room - double bed and a sofabed. Not sure if that's within your budget or not or if you can find those rooms for your dates. We booked through booking.com - prepaid.
Dec 22, 2011
326 posts
65 upvotes
Oakville
wirebound wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 3:14 pm
Look at the Novotels. We just changed our booking, its $200/night, which I think its reasonable for Paris. Sleeps four in a room - double bed and a sofabed. Not sure if that's within your budget or not or if you can find those rooms for your dates. We booked through booking.com - prepaid.
Yes thanks was looking at this and seems reasonable for what it is.
Dec 3, 2009
59 posts
12 upvotes
Ottawa
We are also going to Paris at the end of June, but thankfully without the kids. When were there we are looking to take the train to Marseille and possibly Lyon to take advantage of our time. Anyone have any feedback on the OUI system versus Euro Rail? for some reason the Euro rail seems to be 4X the price and both are high speed trains.
Nov 3, 2002
870 posts
66 upvotes
i second the rec for saint chappelle, my favourite church in paris. Jaw dropping. stained glass.
May 11, 2008
471 posts
141 upvotes
Vancouver
The French Open runs from May 27th to June 10th if your kids are interested in tennis.
Jan 15, 2013
890 posts
153 upvotes
Mississauga
bmacallister wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 9:05 am
We are also going to Paris at the end of June, but thankfully without the kids. When were there we are looking to take the train to Marseille and possibly Lyon to take advantage of our time. Anyone have any feedback on the OUI system versus Euro Rail? for some reason the Euro rail seems to be 4X the price and both are high speed trains.
Go to Nice! I rode my bike from Nice to a mountain close to the Italian border and it was amazing.

Actually, there's just so much places to go in France. In my next reincarnation I'd like to be European (middle to upper class please).
May 11, 2017
17 posts
1 upvote
We stayed in a lovely air bnb in le Marais in August last year...queen bed room and sofa beds for our kids. Tiny kitchen but jaw dropping view...
PM me if you’d like the recommendation.