[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1276 posts
425 upvotes
Markham

Planning for travel in Spring Break 2019

Hi all,

I am planning a trip to the Dominican during spring break next March. I know it's early, but this is the first time I've considered this time as my son started high school and pulling him out for a week during non-peak periods isn't as easy as it was compared to elementary.

Typically, how far (or how soon) should I shop around for a spring break trip (March 11-15). I was considering a Saturday (9th) to Thursday (14th) for budgetary reasons and right now, a trip to VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort is about $5100 for 4. It's about $800 more to add one more day.

Anyhow, this is more a general inquiry about best time to book. As I said, this is my first time planning for March break so I am pretty new to this. I'm open to any beach resort and prefer all-inclusive if anyone has a better suggestion? Budget is preferably < $6,000 all in.

Public Mobile $40/4.5GB
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1465 posts
637 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
HDawg wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 8:15 am
Hi all,

I am planning a trip to the Dominican during spring break next March. I know it's early, but this is the first time I've considered this time as my son started high school and pulling him out for a week during non-peak periods isn't as easy as it was compared to elementary.

Typically, how far (or how soon) should I shop around for a spring break trip (March 11-15). I was considering a Saturday (9th) to Thursday (14th) for budgetary reasons and right now, a trip to VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort is about $5100 for 4. It's about $800 more to add one more day.

Anyhow, this is more a general inquiry about best time to book. As I said, this is my first time planning for March break so I am pretty new to this. I'm open to any beach resort and prefer all-inclusive if anyone has a better suggestion? Budget is preferably < $6,000 all in.
I see the numbers come in everyday for what the public is booking (I work for an airline/tour operator)

Christmas 2019 bookings started to come in around Easter 2018

March Break 2019 bookings have come in all summer starting around the last week of June. Many teachers who are more limited when they can travel typically are responsible for early booking.

VH Gran Ventana isn't a bad resort but IMHO there's better in Puerto Plata. Be aware that's an older destination that does not offer the white sand beaches associated with the DR. Personally, I would look into Punta Cana, Samana or La Romana.

Most tour operators are operating early booking incentives (price drop protection , reserve for a low deposit etc).

March Break is like Christmas- it's best to book early.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1276 posts
425 upvotes
Markham
Thanks. Punta Cana and La Romana were two other areas we considered.

Public Mobile $40/4.5GB
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3863 posts
1084 upvotes
Moncton
You sure your high school aged son has any desire to vacation with his parents?
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
2546 posts
798 upvotes
As said, if you want nice beach better forget Puerto Plata where it is brown coarse sand, just like beaches here near lakes. Went there, and won't go back. 1st, beach is deceiving, and where we stayed it was not a private beach so lot of drunk locals on the weekend, t-shirts, fruits and everything sellers as well...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1276 posts
425 upvotes
Markham
DoorCrasher wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 3:25 pm
As said, if you want nice beach better forget Puerto Plata where it is brown coarse sand, just like beaches here near lakes. Went there, and won't go back. 1st, beach is deceiving, and where we stayed it was not a private beach so lot of drunk locals on the weekend, t-shirts, fruits and everything sellers as well...
Thanks. I had some friends tell me the same thing. I think we've narrowed it down to a few 4*+ options in Punta Cana now.

Public Mobile $40/4.5GB

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)