Off Topic

Plastic bag ripoff continues

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2013 3:16 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1785 upvotes
i6s1 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 11:16 am
Call me when a jug of milk is $30. At the moment, it's 5c for a plastic bag, so there's no need to go Unibomber.
$5c for a plastic bag >= $30 for a jug of milk
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2012
1025 posts
27 upvotes
Ottawa
onlineharvest wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 9:35 am
That is irrational.
People have EVERY RIGHT to complain about pricing, whether they are forced to buy that good or not.
This is a FREE country, in case you haven't realized.
So do you think you have the right to steal bags from the self serve check out?
onlineharvest wrote:
Feb 26th, 2013 1:26 am
If I don't have too many groceries, I will hit up the self serve and when it asks for the # of bags, I always hit 0.
I'm in the 905, no by-law dictating a bag fee...no, its not a big deal, but I'll avoid it where I can
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 14, 2008
7552 posts
1171 upvotes
Ontario
laihama wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 3:28 pm
So do you think you have the right to steal bags from the self serve check out?
Off topic.

Self serve cashier verifies order. If till is closed and I ask for another couple bags, they give it. If they forget to scan a can of beans, they charge me.

yes, taking bags when merchant charges for them is theft. I promise never to do that again so as not to make my point invalid. K folks?
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3223 posts
392 upvotes
Montreal
just because you have the right to complain, doesn't mean you should.... especially about 5c bags....
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 14, 2008
7552 posts
1171 upvotes
Ontario
iownyou wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 3:46 pm
just because you have the right to complain, doesn't mean you should.... especially about 5c bags....
That may be true, and as mentioned before, my chief complaint is not with the nominal fee, but the rationale behind it.
And I've spent the majority of my time in this thread defending a consumers right to complain, which on RFD seems pretty stupid considering...
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 11, 2004
6718 posts
53 upvotes
onlineharvest wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 9:35 am
Why do you feel the need to CORRECT me?
Actually I have been simply responding to YOUR need to correct me FIRST in post #73 and I have been simply defending myself every time against YOUR repeated need to correct me.
onlineharvest wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 9:35 am
You are not FORCED to buy gas either, you can take public transport.
Sorry but that's some fail reasoning. If you own a vehicle you are forced to depend on gas. Just like if you have a baby, you are forced to buy baby food. If all gas and baby food prices were unreasonably high, we'd have a right to complain about it. Making the argument that we are not forced to use a car is like saying we are not forced to raise a baby either (because there's always adoption). That's pretty idiotic.
onlineharvest wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 9:35 am
People have EVERY RIGHT to complain about pricing, whether they are forced to buy that good or not. You are not FORCED to buy a lot of things in this life that people JUSTIFIABLY complain about.
You have failed to explain why it gives someone the RIGHT to complain just because a business decides to raise its prices. If you are NOT FORCED to buy something, then how can you JUSTIFIABLY complain about it????

So the basis of your argument is that people are justified to complain over something they don't need??!? :facepalm:

REGARDLESS, you are arguing over semantics so we can agree to disagree. However, I find it laughable that you feel compelled to nitpick at semantics while you continually ignore the context of my argument. Despite my repeated requests, you have repeatedly failed to explain why their rationale is somehow relevant. Explain that, then just maybe you'll have some actual credibility to your position.
onlineharvest wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 3:54 pm
as mentioned before, my chief complaint is not with the nominal fee, but the rationale behind it.
Your failure to explain this despite repeated requests only goes to show my point was right all along. :facepalm:
Innovatively Silent. :cool:
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1785 upvotes
Cafe_333 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 7:43 pm
Sorry but that's some fail reasoning. If you own a vehicle you are forced to depend on gas. Just like if you have a baby, you are forced to buy baby food. If all gas and baby food prices were unreasonably high, we'd have a right to complain about it. Making the argument that we are not forced to use a car is like saying we are not forced to raise a baby (because there's always adoption). That's pretty idiotic. If you are NOT FORCED to buy something, then how can you JUSTIFIABLY complain about it????
what do you mean by forced? you are not forced to by food but you can't live without it. you are not forced to buy a car but it's very inconvenient to live without it
the same with plastic bags. they are convenient and therefore should be cheap. why is that so hard to understand?
Sr. Member
Jul 15, 2006
717 posts
22 upvotes
This thread got me thinking about an RFD group buy for plastic bags.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
2730 posts
64 upvotes
East York
why is this discussion still going on? .05 cents is cheap - stores have every right to charge for plastic bags - especially when they don't make money on them, stores don't make money on a lot of items they sale and if they do make the slightest profit on plastic bags it offsets a loss else where...I work in the retail industry in a management position - i see the numbers on a daily basis....It's a fact.....

If you don't want to pay for a bag, don't ask for a bag - most retail establishments will ask if you want a bag...You can so NO....If you're at a grocery store you can always use a cardboard box or buy those re-usable bags one time and use them until they wear out or break...
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 11, 2004
6718 posts
53 upvotes
vero95 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 8:11 pm
what do you mean by forced? you are not forced to by food but you can't live without it. you are not forced to buy a car but it's very inconvenient to live without it
the same with plastic bags. they are convenient and therefore should be cheap. why is that so hard to understand?
Let's not argue over the context of the word 'forced'.

The context of my argument is if something is a necessity, then you have to get it. Like if you need food, then you have to get it. If you have a car, then you have to get gas.

However, if you have groceries, you don't have to get a plastic bag. So if you don't need to have a plastic bag, then how can anyone justifiably complain about it?
Innovatively Silent. :cool:
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2012
1025 posts
27 upvotes
Ottawa
vero95 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 8:11 pm
what do you mean by forced? you are not forced to by food but you can't live without it. you are not forced to buy a car but it's very inconvenient to live without it
the same with plastic bags. they are convenient and therefore should be cheap. why is that so hard to understand?
It's convenient to eat out every night instead of cooking your own food. Should all restaurants be cheap? The fact of the matter is that certain goods and services are essential in our society, like public transit, telephone, electricity, gas, water, food, medical services, basic accommodations, basic clothing, etc. "Forced" is not the right word. "Essential" is better. Others would sympathize with you if you complained about pricing of these things. People would laugh at you if you think that plastic bags are essential.

For things that are optional, whether or not one has to the right to complain is moot. From my perspective, whining about paying for plastic bags is like whining about paying for refills at a restaurant, that is, you look like an idiot. If you don't want to pay for drink refills, go to a restaurant with free refills or eat at home.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1785 upvotes
laihama wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 9:07 pm
It's convenient to eat out every night instead of cooking your own food. Should all restaurants be cheap? The fact of the matter is that certain goods and services are essential in our society, like public transit, telephone, electricity, gas, water, food, medical services, basic accommodations, basic clothing, etc. "Forced" is not the right word. "Essential" is better. Others would sympathize with you if you complained about pricing of these things. People would laugh at you if you think that plastic bags are essential.

For things that are optional, whether or not one has to the right to complain is moot. From my perspective, whining about paying for plastic bags is like whining about paying for refills at a restaurant, that is, you look like an idiot. If you don't want to pay for drink refills, go to a restaurant with free refills or eat at home.


...and if you do not like prices in Canada, you should move to the States :facepalm:
the question was if you should be able to complain about prices if you are not forced to buy something. I see you think you can't. that's what I call idiotic :facepalm:
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
555 upvotes
vero95 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 8:11 pm
what do you mean by forced? you are not forced to by food but you can't live without it. you are not forced to buy a car but it's very inconvenient to live without it
the same with plastic bags. they are convenient and therefore should be cheap. why is that so hard to understand?
what? so should cars be free because it is very inconvenient to live without it and should therefore be cheap? lol

I was at supermarket today, a lady in front of me bought 2 small jars of peanut butter, asked if she wanted a bag, she asked is it free? cashier said no..she said no thanks and then put it in her handbag. That just showed how great charging for plastic bag is and eliminating/cutting costs for the private business.

this is great, businesses able to charge what they want and consumers having a choice.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1785 upvotes
gilboman wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 10:37 pm
what? so should cars be free because it is very inconvenient to live without it and should therefore be cheap? lol

I was at supermarket today, a lady in front of me bought 2 small jars of peanut butter, asked if she wanted a bag, she asked is it free? cashier said no..she said no thanks and then put it in her handbag. That just showed how great charging for plastic bag is and eliminating/cutting costs for the private business.

this is great, businesses able to charge what they want and consumers having a choice.
why free? if they are cheaper in the states, don't you think you have a right to complain to be able to pay the same if the dollar is at par? it's idiotic to think you can't, no?

Top