Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
atomiton wrote: ace604... here's a table for your OP
Thanks. It looks like crap on mobile view almost as bad as the unsupported table markup does now in the OP though :)

I'll take a look later. It's too bad new-RFD ditched table markup codes. :(
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2012
10043 posts
3758 upvotes
multi city dweller
ace604 wrote: It shows you the fee when you confirm the last step ... why did you click "ok" if it said 2.5%??

Or did it say 2% on that screen and then charge you 2.5%?

All my testing showed me 2% or 2.5% "correctly" on that screen (SPG Amex not showing 2% because they think the BIN is US card).
well ... the email i received states that the promo rate should be 2% with amex card ... i use the amex card and expect the promo rate of 2% .... not 2.5% ...
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1530 upvotes
ace604 wrote: Thanks. It looks like crap on mobile view almost as bad as the unsupported table markup does now in the OP though :)

I'll take a look later. It's too bad new-RFD ditched table markup codes. :(
I never thought to check on mobile. It's essentially just preformatted text, but it looks like a table on desktop and iPad.
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K AGAIN! | Plat 60K | Biz Gold 40K | Gold 25K | SPG 20K
Feb 1, 2017
500 posts
842 upvotes
Hey, I'd like to use Plastiq to pay my car loan with an Amex plat biz, am I going to be flagged or get denied by plastiq if my very first purchase is say $4000-5000? It is being sent to a custom address because they don't have the option, but a quick google search of the address makes it pretty obvious its going to scotiabank. If so, would sending say 1000$ 4 times in the same day cause a flag?
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
ryokoseigo wrote: Hey, I'd like to use Plastiq to pay my car loan with an Amex plat biz, am I going to be flagged or get denied by plastiq if my very first purchase is say $4000-5000? It is being sent to a custom address because they don't have the option, but a quick google search of the address makes it pretty obvious its going to scotiabank. If so, would sending say 1000$ 4 times in the same day cause a flag?
Plastiq is going to email you and ask you for an invoice from the payee you are sending to if it's a new payee to their system.

If it's just a bank, like ScotiaBank, then they will likely reject it as a cash-like transaction.

The cheque they write has to be addressed TO someone, what would be the "to" in your case, ScotiaBank?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Feb 1, 2017
500 posts
842 upvotes
Its addressed to the head branch in Calgary. I phone scotiabank and asked them if I could mail a cheque to them, they said yes, and gave me an address- the head office in calgary. It would be addressed to the Head office for Loans
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
429 upvotes
Concord, ON
Processed payment for property tax (2℅ gold Amex rewards card) last Thursday...Still not showing up yet at the municipality

Hope nothing is wrong
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
GrandePike wrote: Processed payment for property tax (2℅ gold Amex rewards card) last Thursday...Still not showing up yet at the municipality

Hope nothing is wrong
What was the guaranteed 'delivered by' date Plastiq reported on your confirmation screen and/or in your email receipt?

Also, what's the status of the payment on Plastiq?

There is a status change after it is complete from "processed" to something like "complete". Until that happens or the guaranteed delivery date has passed I wouldn't expect to see any payment on the receiving end. And then even after that it might take your payee a day or two to 'post' the payment and reflect it in their system.
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
Elfwood wrote: Furthermore it is a posted charge (not temp). I'll see if it stays or gets reversed after verification. Small amount no big deal even if not reversed
ValueHunter999 wrote: I was charged $0.54 for so-called verification amount which got posted and billed ... but then they reimbursed me $0.53 ... wtf???
Interesting, for me it was just a temp charge that disappeared after I verified the amount, not charge/refund.
Jan 21, 2012
662 posts
363 upvotes
Anyone has the experience of paying property tax to the City of Calgary using plastiq? I was told TIPP has to be a PAD from a bank account, anyone know if we can use plastiq instead?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2014
5433 posts
3907 upvotes
Richmond Hill
lingecw wrote: Anyone has the experience of paying property tax to the City of Calgary using plastiq? I was told TIPP has to be a PAD from a bank account, anyone know if we can use plastiq instead?
I was told by my municipal tax department that it had to come from a bank account too - but I paid through Plastiq anyway because my municipal tax department showed up as a registered payee of Plastiq. Paid over couple of thousand and called my municipal tax department and confirmed the payments - no problems.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
lingecw wrote: Anyone has the experience of paying property tax to the City of Calgary using plastiq? I was told TIPP has to be a PAD from a bank account, anyone know if we can use plastiq instead?
If there is a mailing address that accepts cheques, then you can pay it.
Jan 21, 2012
662 posts
363 upvotes
Elfwood wrote: I was told by my municipal tax department that it had to come from a bank account too - but I paid through Plastiq anyway because my municipal tax department showed up as a registered payee of Plastiq. Paid over couple of thousand and called my municipal tax department and confirmed the payments - no problems.
Is your payment as a TIPP ( (Tax Installment Payment Plan)?
I called City of Calgary, and they said it is OK to pay the property tax in one lump sum using the cheque, but they don't accept cheque for TIPP. Even I cancel TIPP now, I can't pay the lump sum of my 2017 property tax until June. I need to fulfill my $5000 min. spending for Amex Bus. Gold within a couple months.
Jan 21, 2012
662 posts
363 upvotes
ace604 wrote: If there is a mailing address that accepts cheques, then you can pay it.
Yes, but they only accept one lump sum in a cheque, and only accept it after May, 2017.
Jan 21, 2012
662 posts
363 upvotes
Anyone done a deposit using plastiq to a discount broker account, be it RRSP or TFSA? I think it should work, but would like to find out anyone done it personally?
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
lingecw wrote: Anyone done a deposit using plastiq to a discount broker account, be it RRSP or TFSA? I think it should work, but would like to find out anyone done it personally?
You need to verify an "invoice" for some service with Plastiq for any new payee you add. It won't work for cash-like transactions. Plastiq has a duty to the card issuers to verify their service isn't used fraudulently.

For my strata fees (aka condo fees) the asked me to send them in documentation by email before they would process the first payment. I sent them a copy of the AGM minutes that showed my unit's fee amount as well as a spreadsheet showing same.

For a brokerage account you won't have any 'invoice' to send them.

Just go buy some gift cards for places you normally shop and pre-spend a couple months of expenses to hit your $5k.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2014
5433 posts
3907 upvotes
Richmond Hill
lingecw wrote: Is your payment as a TIPP ( (Tax Installment Payment Plan)?
I called City of Calgary, and they said it is OK to pay the property tax in one lump sum using the cheque, but they don't accept cheque for TIPP. Even I cancel TIPP now, I can't pay the lump sum of my 2017 property tax until June. I need to fulfill my $5000 min. spending for Amex Bus. Gold within a couple months.
I was on a tax installment payment plan before, where they auto deducted from a chequing account every month. I had to turn it off, and then was able to pay random lump sums via plastiq. You might want to delay your application of that Amex Business Gold if you can't make a tax payment now.
Jan 21, 2012
662 posts
363 upvotes
ace604 wrote: You need to verify an "invoice" for some service with Plastiq for any new payee you add. It won't work for cash-like transactions. Plastiq has a duty to the card issuers to verify their service isn't used fraudulently.

For my strata fees (aka condo fees) the asked me to send them in documentation by email before they would process the first payment. I sent them a copy of the AGM minutes that showed my unit's fee amount as well as a spreadsheet showing same.

For a brokerage account you won't have any 'invoice' to send them.

Just go buy some gift cards for places you normally shop and pre-spend a couple months of expenses to hit your $5k.
Too bad, I even phoned my discount broker before your post to ask if they accept payment from plastiq and they said yes. Didn't expect the road block came from plastiq. As you can tell I have no knowledge of plastiq. I got to think about other ways to handle that. I will only use the gift card method as my last resort.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
lingecw wrote: Too bad, I even phoned my discount broker before your post to ask if they accept payment from plastiq and they said yes. Didn't expect the road block came from plastiq. As you can tell I have no knowledge of plastiq. I got to think about other ways to handle that. I will only use the gift card method as my last resort.
You asked your broker (which one??) if they accept payments from Plastiq, and they knew what Plastiq was, and said "yes" ?

As far as I know, brokerages have to confirm funding is not from a 3rd party due to anti-terrorism/money-laundering laws, etc.

People have posted nightmares with Questrade where they sent a deposit from a spouses account and it got tied up and had to be reversed.

I'm not sure a broker could even legally accept a 3rd party cheque deposit to an account..

https://community.questrade.com/b/diy_i ... -them.aspx
"A third party deposit is the transfer of any funds or positions from an account held by one named person to an account held by another. Questrade does not accept third party deposits to your accounts."
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
https://community.questrade.com/b/diy_i ... -fast.aspx

The types of deposits we can’t accept

There are a few funding methods we can’t take. If you use one of these ways to fund your account, your deposit will be returned to you and the money won’t end up in your account:

Cash
Cheques with incomplete information
Third-party bill payments, cheques, or wire transfers (keep reading to learn more about third-party deposits)
Credit card payments
Credit card cheques or cheques drawn on lines of credit
Deposits made directly into Questrade’s bank account at a bank branch or online
Cheques drawn on foreign banks, even if they’re in U.S. dollars

Important: we are NOT able to accept deposits made directly into Questrade’s bank account from a RBC Royal Bank branch or online.

What is a third-party deposit?

One of the most common types of funding delays we see is when someone tries to fund an account with a third-party deposit. A third-party deposit is a transfer of funds or positions from an account in another person’s name. Canada’s anti-money laundering legislation prevents Questrade from accepting any third-party deposits.

Here are some things to remember about third-party deposits:

The account the money is coming from and the account the money is going to must have matching, identical names
If transferring to a joint account, the name(s) on the account the money is coming from must match the names on the Questrade account (banks can sometimes shorten names on joint accounts); you can provide us a void cheque for the joint account as proof of joint account status
For corporate or registered accounts, the account holder must provide us with a letter of direction before we can deposit any funds
For accounts with a power of attorney, the funds must come from an account in the owner’s name and not from an account in the name of the power of attorney

Also, from Interactive Brokers:
"Third-Party Deposits - Interactive Brokers strongly discourages and in most cases, rejects third-party deposits, which have historically been viewed by the financial services industry and its regulators as being highly susceptible to acts of fraud and money laundering. "

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)