• Feb 4th, 2016 8:48 am
Tags:
None
Jul 27, 2007
316 posts
8 upvotes
GTA

playa del carmen and cancun in Feb

Going to playa del carmen - riveria maya in feb. Need some help. thanks in advance.

1) has anyone taken ADO bus from airport to PDC? read that taxi from airport is PDC has a high surcharge. Plan to take bus to PDC and taxi to airport.
2) has anyone been to Xplor, Xcaret or tulum? Is it better to buy tics on line before hand or book a tour with hotel once we arrive?
3) Which cenote is best for swimming?
4) Has anyone gone over to Cozumel for snorkeling?
5) is it worth it to go into Downtown Cancun?

We just want to spend some time in the sun and do things like zipline, snorkel and beach. Maybe visit one Mayan ruin. Anything else that is fun and must-do.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1943 posts
171 upvotes
Where are you staying and for how long?
The closest ruin to playa is tulum or you can do an all day trip to Chichen Itza.
I wouldn't go to cozumel just for snorkeling. Diving yes but not snorkeling.
What do you consider downtown Cancun?
There are a lot of cenotes around so you will have no trouble finding one to swim in.
We usually just book a private transfer company.I have heard the ADO works well but what does the cab cost from playa back?
Jan 9, 2011
344 posts
167 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Kaz wrote: We usually just book a private transfer company.I have heard the ADO works well but what does the cab cost from playa back?
I'm currently in PDC. ADO works well both ways with frequent departures from the terminal at the bottom of 5th Avenue. It cost me 162MXN to get here on Monday and it'll be about the same on Thursday to head back to CUN.
Jun 1, 2006
573 posts
99 upvotes
NB
if u book ADO online it is about half price too....i use chrome and right click 'translate to eng'. im going to use it next wk when im there ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1943 posts
171 upvotes
Yaal Ku has some pretty good snorkeling as does Akumal if you want turtles.
Jul 4, 2007
334 posts
61 upvotes
If you head to tulum or coba ruins you can combine gran cenote or dos ojos. They are more for snorkeling though.
Jan 9, 2011
344 posts
167 upvotes
Montreal, QC
jonnyyaa wrote: if u book ADO online it is about half price too....i use chrome and right click 'translate to eng'. im going to use it next wk when im there ;)
The website only lists the special for Cancun from Playa, not the airport CUN as OP indicated. I was in front of the terminal today and asked. You can pretty much get the internet price (63MXM) by walking up, no online booking required. Those wanting to get to CUN need to pay 166MXN for the privilege.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
jonnyyaa wrote: if u book ADO online it is about half price too....i use chrome and right click 'translate to eng'. im going to use it next wk when im there ;)
I was about to get this but though, wait, it is for specific times? Because if so, than you can judge for yourself if it is worth the savings. When I landed in Cancun there was smoke in the terminal and so was rushed out the door. As a result, it took me a while to find the ADO stop... just in time to see the bus leave. Waiting 30 minutes for the next bus was no biggy (time to change into shorts, and there is an outside bar...), but I don't don't know if I could have dealt with the loss of a ticket 5 minutes into my vacation).

You can explore much of Quintana Roo via Google Streetview. I'd go to Chichen Itza ASAP in case you get cancer or something and can't return to the region. Tulum is epic because you can admire some of the Mayan ruins above while swimming in the ocean. Coba, which I haven't been, is still being expanded and looks quite interesting as you can still climb up one of the pyramids.

The city of Cancun (pop. 630,000) primarily exists to serve the employees of the hotel zone. Although obviously some shopping was added there to serve tourists. Things these days are made in China, not Mexico, so don't expect much in savings over buying in Canada. There is a outdoor market and a couple of malls. I like Isla Mujerez, accessible from the Juarez Port, north of downtown. You could combine the two, perhaps with some clubbing in the hotel zone in the evening (plenty of cheap hotels down town, $30-$100 a night). $1 city bus between the hotel zone and downtown, that operates 24/7. R1, for example, goes from the hotel zone to downtown (pass the ADO station up Av Tulum to Lopez-Portillo (there is a local indoor mall geared to locals (aka cheaper) at Tulum and Lopez (food court on second floor).
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Jun 1, 2006
573 posts
99 upvotes
NB
ls17031 wrote: The website only lists the special for Cancun from Playa, not the airport CUN as OP indicated. I was in front of the terminal today and asked. You can pretty much get the internet price (63MXM) by walking up, no online booking required. Those wanting to get to CUN need to pay 166MXN for the privilege.
no, it lists airport cancun to playa del carmen on the website...i just checked again. it can also be used for return as well - directly to the airport i found 73p at 1pm...that's about $6 CAD each person 1 way. Sweet deal when everyone wants 110$us or more return...
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2011
1100 posts
236 upvotes
I've been to Xcaret a few years ago (2011)

It's a really nice place, like a huge Outdoor Water park, lots to walk around and see, Dolphin, Scuba-Dive, rivers, trees etc. good food.

Spent a whole day there.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1943 posts
171 upvotes
Vinotintazo wrote: I've been to Xcaret a few years ago (2011)

It's a really nice place, like a huge Outdoor Water park, lots to walk around and see, Dolphin, Scuba-Dive, rivers, trees etc. good food.

Spent a whole day there.
Xcaret and xel-ha are both pretty good.
Jul 27, 2007
316 posts
8 upvotes
GTA
Looks like you can buy up to one day in advance and save 50% so definitely a great deal. You also get to pre-select seat but looks like not able to use it for earlier or later bus. So i figure I book it for the bus 90 min after landing to allow for luggage pickup and going thru customs?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
5000 posts
611 upvotes
Victoria
90 minutes might not do it. Sometimes it can be an absolute nut house in there. You know we're talking about a savings of like $6 here right?
Mar 30, 2013
44 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
caitlink wrote: Going to playa del carmen - riveria maya in feb. Need some help. thanks in advance.

1) has anyone taken ADO bus from airport to PDC? read that taxi from airport is PDC has a high surcharge. Plan to take bus to PDC and taxi to airport.
2) has anyone been to Xplor, Xcaret or tulum? Is it better to buy tics on line before hand or book a tour with hotel once we arrive?
3) Which cenote is best for swimming?
4) Has anyone gone over to Cozumel for snorkeling?
5) is it worth it to go into Downtown Cancun?

We just want to spend some time in the sun and do things like zipline, snorkel and beach. Maybe visit one Mayan ruin. Anything else that is fun and must-do.

I went to Xplor in the day time. They also open at night and you can zipline and atv in the dark with fire. I just bought my tickets at the resort I was at. I don't think they have snorkeling there, but they do have swimming in the cenote, so you might have to go to Xcaret.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)