Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 21, 2016
300 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto

Playard vs Crib vs Bassinet

We are confused about what to purchase and what might be convenient.
We are considering the following:

Playard - Graco Pack and play quick connect (200$) or Ingenuity smart and simple (230$)
We heard that these will be portable, but we don't travel that much. We are thinking that we might use it in the living room if possible later.
Also if it comes with a bassinet and changing station, then will be very useful.

Crib - already ordered on Amazon - Da vinci kalani 4 in one 270$ and safety first mattress for 70$
Thinking whether to cancel it. But heard it is good for the long run.

Bassinet - Halo bassinest Essentia or Primera series (200$ and 250$ respectively).
Hey expensive for just a few months use, but might be very convenient. But if we get that playard with bassinet, this might not be needed.

And thoughts? First time parents! So researching a lot!

So which one/ones would be better?
14 replies
Mar 24, 2015
746 posts
190 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I had a crib in my bedroom for sleeping/nap time and a pack and play in the living room, mostly used when I had to put them somewhere when I had to do chores, etc, and was useful too for playtime when the could sit by themselves. I only used the pack and play for sleeping when we travelled.

The crib I bought was a convertible one, now used as a double bed for my 7 year old.
Jan 3, 2018
36 posts
17 upvotes
I have all 3. The bassinet was great for the first 3 months because that's what they slept in while in my room.
The crib was always in their room and is the most useful one in my opinion. My 2 year old still sleeps in it.
The playpen is the least useful for me. It's a portable one and it sits at my parents's home so the kids could sleep it in during visits. Both of my kids refused to be in it once they turned 8 months.

If you can only get one, my vote is for the crib. They can sleep in it in your room and you can easily move the crib into their room when you are ready to transition them to their own room.

The playpen is only useful for traveling. Feels like I wasted my money on that one. My experience of course.
Sep 20, 2012
31 posts
17 upvotes
Etobicoke
Crib is essential, ours was set up in baby’s room from day 1 although they didn’t take so in it at the beginning (basinette in our room first). For pack n play we just picked one up second hand and just use for travel, my son is almost 3 and still happily sleeps in it!
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14979 posts
5256 upvotes
We have all of them.

The bassinet is used so they can sleep in your room instead of co-sleeping or something. It's great. Obviously if you have a large room where a crib would fit you could use a crib inside your room.

The crib is what they will sleep and nap in for months / years. Depending on when your child out grows it, they could easily be in it until 3 years of age. You can also get convertible cribs that will convert to toddler beds and single beds.

We have a play pen - but without the change table (which looks like it adds a huge amount since ours was $50 brand new). We only use the play pen when we bring our child over to be watched by someone else - in these cases he naps / sleeps in it. We also take it traveling with us IF we are traveling by car. Otherwise if we are flying we just use the hotel one.

If you can only afford to get one, obviously the crib is the way to go. They each have their own use, but I cannot imagine picking anything other than a crib from the list of three.
Nov 25, 2016
81 posts
30 upvotes
We used our playpen quite a bit after baby could sit independently - somewhere safe to put the baby while you do chores / use the washroom. You can also roll it from room to room within the house if your doors are wide enough. Eventually baby will get more mobile and a gated area works better. There isn't a gateable area around our kitchen, so the playpen was useful while cooking (not safe for a roaming baby). We didn't like the change table and bassinet in application (they got in the way), so they were put back in the box pretty quickly. Could have saved a lot of money if we only got the basic one.

Crib would be the most important. After baby learns to climb (but before learning the importance of safety), you'll have the comfort of knowing he/she is safe the whole night.
Aug 10, 2004
434 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
playard we bought for $100 at best buy. we used it in our room for baby to sleep in for the first few months until we transitioned him to the crib. it was more convenient than having to go to his room to feed every other hour. we've left it at my parents place now so baby can nap there occasionally. he slips in the crib now.

never had the bassinet. I've seen ppl use it with their strollers... it was a nice to have. when i took baby out for walks when he was younger, he was in the car seat using the stroller frame. he had to be fully strapped in. A bassinet may be more comfortable for baby to nap in when you're walking around... but i think it's okay to go without one but that's just based on my experience.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10039 posts
1424 upvotes
Toronto
LivHorton wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 8:51 pm
I have all 3. The bassinet was great for the first 3 months because that's what they slept in while in my room.
The crib was always in their room and is the most useful one in my opinion. My 2 year old still sleeps in it.
The playpen is the least useful for me. It's a portable one and it sits at my parents's home so the kids could sleep it in during visits. Both of my kids refused to be in it once they turned 8 months.

If you can only get one, my vote is for the crib. They can sleep in it in your room and you can easily move the crib into their room when you are ready to transition them to their own room.

The playpen is only useful for traveling. Feels like I wasted my money on that one. My experience of course.
Summed it up well. My 4 yr old still sleeps in her crib with one side open. Pack n Play still used when we travel. Although this yr, 4 yr old likely won't sleep in it. 2 yr old definitely will. Bassinet used a shorter while (1st kid, slept till 5 month, 2nd kid barely passed 2 months) but found it essential since you're lifting the baby up a lot during this time so access is important.
May 10, 2006
471 posts
53 upvotes
YYC
We have all three with our little guy who's 9 months now...
Playard - still in box, waste of space imo, would not buy if it were me. We just letting him nap on top of a soft blanket with playmats underneath which he liked for awhile.
crib - best option for sleeping and sleep training, you want to get them sleeping in a crib as early and as much as possible.
bassinet - son is a tall baby and grew out of it after 3 months but he slept well in it. It was a hand me down. I would not buy.

Haven't seen this mentioned but my son preferred to nap in his infant carseat but has grown out of it at 8 months. Basically we really just needed a crib and infant carseat.
Sep 3, 2013
752 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
We have all three. If I’d do it over again, I’d get a cot (dockatot) for newborn stage then transition to crib, preferably a convertible one.

We have a halo - waste of money. Playard we’ve used a handful of times.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16470 posts
2128 upvotes
sacthegreat666 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 4:13 pm
We are confused about what to purchase and what might be convenient.
What are you using it for? To sleep? To play? Temporary pen to cage the wild one?

Get a crib for their main bed, it is the most flexible and should last till they're about 3 years old. Optional if you want to get a convertible crib, because it's often cheaper just to buy a bed when they hit 4 or 5 at Ikea instead (you may not like the style of your crib anymore too).

Also pick up a Pack and Play for the living room - it's good to put them in there when you're too busy to watch them (<8 months) or for quick naps / rest times without bringing them upstairs. A pack and play can be brought with you on vacation as a portable crib.

Skip the Bassinet, never saw the use for one. Babies grow out of them quickly.
Feb 1, 2006
629 posts
85 upvotes
For our lil’ one, we skipped the playard with bassinet. Looking back, glad we didnt buy it as our daughter was a very long and big newborn. She wouldve outgrown it in a month.

Plus, we used gates as opposed to wanting a playard... she was a very curious baby and we sectioned off an area that was safe and all for sensory play.

Lol if I needed to shower or make a quick meal, the bouncy chair (vibrates, can attach toys) was my lifesaver. Would bring her to the bathroom she’d play and mommy got clean :)

We used a bassinet in our room for 2.5 months. It was great design that lowered as she grew. Had ventilated sides and all. But this was very shortlived due to her length. This is nice to have for night feedings and both of you dont have to go too far :)

Personally the crib is a must. We got a convertible and it was set up before birth. At 18 mths, we changed it to a toddler bed and by 2.5yrs she is now in a double bed. A great investment... just pick a style you’ll like for years to come ;)
~snow white~
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28589 posts
3930 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I’m the opposite.

The bassinet was the most useful thing we got. The crib was hardly used. Baby preferred to nap in the bassinet during the day (I know it is bad for them). It was used for 8 months

After that, we tried to use the crib but the baby would wake up at night looking for mommy and ended up on our bed.
Aug 5, 2008
312 posts
163 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 4:59 am
I’m the opposite.

The bassinet was the most useful thing we got. The crib was hardly used. Baby preferred to nap in the bassinet during the day (I know it is bad for them). It was used for 8 months

After that, we tried to use the crib but the baby would wake up at night looking for mommy and ended up on our bed.
The last part, same thing with me. The crib is still here collecting dust.
Aug 31, 2014
101 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cutey130 wrote: The last part, same thing with me. The crib is still here collecting dust.
Same here. It's just a safe place to park the baby while I run to the bathroom.