Computers & Electronics

The Playbook Thread

Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3397 posts
422 upvotes
Mississauga

The Playbook Thread

glad to see you've made the leap and bought the PB. hopefully you got it at one of the reduced sale prices or via extreme coupon-ing.

Crackberry's Playbook 101 section

tips/tricks/did-you-know:*add swipe gestures*
[QUOTE]two ways to standby: tap battery icon and hit standby, or use power button
to revive from standby: swipe from one bezel to another
to pop up keyboard anytime: swipe from bottom left corner diagonally to the right
to pop up the main titlebar anytime: swipe from top right corner diagonally to the left
Now to take screenshot .. PRESS VOLUME UP and DOWN BUTTON TOGETHER[/QUOTE]

wifi-file sharing (great feature, PC & MAC compatible):
crackberry tutorial
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

file browser:
files & folders (awesome integration with PB directory/google docs/dropbox/box.net)

media streaming:
sonicair
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]
orb
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

file storage:
box for blackberry (50 GBs)
bluebox (dropbox client)

games:

MORE OS 2.0 information:
press release: http://crackberry.com/press-release-res ... 0-ces-2012
os2.0 with calendar/contacts/email/etc.
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]
os2.0 with remote app functionality, awesomeness:
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

to unbrick:[QUOTE]
Latest BB Desktop version can "unbrick" it for you.

From: http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/pl...date-605726/in...

I too had the same problem as many on the forums, the playbook will continuously show the screen saver/blackberry playbook with the different colored circles.

Here is how I was able to fix it....

1) Turn your playbook off by holding down the power button
2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, power on the Playbook
5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
6) Click on Update
7) Your computer will now download the much needed "debrick" file as talked about in earlier posts.

***NOTE*** I have tried to do this in several different ways, but the above method is the only one that worked. I hope this works.

As with all software/hardware, it takes time and patience to figure out the issue [/QUOTE]
2138 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2549 posts
1011 upvotes
Looks quite impressive to be honest. Much more impressive than an iPad as it actually adds functionality rather than just being a big ipod.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18045 posts
980 upvotes
Looks interesting to me, have they stated a price yet?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4758 posts
383 upvotes
sixteen12 wrote: Looks quite impressive to be honest. Much more impressive than an iPad as it actually adds functionality rather than just being a big ipod.

I like where RIM is headed with this, unfortunately with these mobile devices it would appear applications dominate the consumer market, no doubt this is being marketed towards corporate use... For now... :)
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2007
2625 posts
503 upvotes
Thornhill
MUCH better than the iPad. Wow. I can't find a single flaw with this device. I had the iPad for just a week and I took it back because I couldn't honestly find a single use for it. Thank the heavens this has flash in it. And a front AND rear facing HD camera?! How freaking hard is it for apple to put this in the iPad? They put it in the refreshed iPod touches.

Give apple two weeks and they're gonna announce the new iPad 2.0. Losers.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2007
2719 posts
702 upvotes
Lovable wrote: I like where RIM is headed with this, unfortunately with these mobile devices it would appear applications dominate the consumer market, no doubt this is being marketed towards corporate use... For now... :)

The corporate use is genius. You can tether and share data from your BB, and also sync it up with your phone (calendars, emails etc). That's awesome.

HD, is awesome. 2 cameras, even more awesome.

Can you tell I like it? :razz:
Deal Addict
May 20, 2003
2864 posts
25 upvotes
It looks great, hopefully it delivers. They did the right thing by putting in all the enterprise features that are required for corporate buy-in (from security all the way down to development tools with WebWorks).

I wonder how it'll be priced, though. I have a feeling it'll be too steep for consumers to afford. But I'm excited that there's finally a tablet for the enterprise (and I'm speaking as a happy iPad owner :D ).
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
3496 posts
1679 upvotes
Mississauga
If it's under $500, then I might consider buying it for developing applications using Java.

The obvious impression many people get is its similarity from Palm's WebOS. I personally believe that, if you compare all the fully-dedicated tablet operating systems currently on the market, I think that Apple's iOS and RIM's QNX will probably be the only main contenders that we'll see to succeed in the coming years. Where's Android in all of this, you may ask? Google has even said it themselves that the Android Platform isn't exactly optimized for tablets.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
2353 posts
1149 upvotes
Waterloo
Full specs:

# 7-inch LCD, 1024 x 600, WSVGA, capacitive touch screen with full multi-touch and gesture support
# BlackBerry Tablet OS with support for symmetric multiprocessing
# 1 GHz dual-core processor
# 1 GB RAM
# Dual HD cameras (3 MP front facing, 5 MP rear facing), supports 1080p HD video recording
# Video playback: 1080p HD Video, H.264, MPEG, DivX, WMV
# Audio playback: MP3, AAC, WMA
# HDMI video output
# Wi-Fi - 802.11 a/b/g/n
# Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
# Connectors: microHDMI, microUSB, charging contacts
# Open, flexible application platform with support for WebKit/HTML-5, Adobe Flash Player 10.1, Adobe Mobile AIR, Adobe Reader, POSIX, OpenGL, Java
# Ultra thin and portable:
# Measures 5.1"x7.6"x0.4" (130mm x 193mm x 10mm)
# Weighs less than a pound (approximately 0.9 lb or 400g)

Impressive indeed and kicks iPad ass.
| Fractal Design Meshify C | LG 27GL850 (dual) | AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 FE | 32GB G.SKill Trident Z RGB | ASUS ROG Strix B450-F II | XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB M.2 NVMe | Razer Huntsman Elite | Razer Basilisk Ultimate |
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
3226 posts
107 upvotes
Edmonton
Looks good. If it has good battery life then they have a winner.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23680 posts
5122 upvotes
Niagara Falls
input wrote: If it's under $500, then I might consider buying it for developing applications using Java.

The obvious impression many people get is its similarity from Palm's WebOS. I personally believe that, if you compare all the fully-dedicated tablet operating systems currently on the market, I think that Apple's iOS and RIM's QNX will probably be the only main contenders that we'll see to succeed in the coming years. Where's Android in all of this, you may ask? Google has even said it themselves that the Android Platform isn't exactly optimized for tablets.

Android 2.2 isn't, nothing is said about Android 3.0 or chromeOS
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
2759 posts
131 upvotes
wow im impressed. Good thing I held out on the ipad.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2003
4258 posts
1028 upvotes
GTA
It has charging contacts but the Torch does not! > :(

Any word on what type of LCD panel it uses? Also curious to see if it uses BT or WiFi to tether with a BlackBerry.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
2353 posts
1149 upvotes
Waterloo
zoob wrote: It has charging contacts but the Torch does not! > :(

Any word on what type of LCD panel it uses? Also curious to see if it uses BT or WiFi to tether with a BlackBerry.
It's going to use BT tethering so no need for 2 data plans.
| Fractal Design Meshify C | LG 27GL850 (dual) | AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 FE | 32GB G.SKill Trident Z RGB | ASUS ROG Strix B450-F II | XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB M.2 NVMe | Razer Huntsman Elite | Razer Basilisk Ultimate |
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3397 posts
422 upvotes
Mississauga
Agree with most folks! It looks very promising, and exciting outlook for a canadian company.

I will be rooting for it and definitely buy the first gen barring an ipad like price point.

And I hope they start churning out more apps and porting over iphone/android ones.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
darksith31 wrote: MUCH better than the iPad. Wow. I can't find a single flaw with this device. I had the iPad for just a week and I took it back because I couldn't honestly find a single use for it. Thank the heavens this has flash in it. And a front AND rear facing HD camera?! How freaking hard is it for apple to put this in the iPad? They put it in the refreshed iPod touches.

Give apple two weeks and they're gonna announce the new iPad 2.0. Losers.

Awesome! I would love to borrow your Playbook to play around...because it seems you already own one, or at least touch it.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
sixteen12 wrote: Looks quite impressive to be honest. Much more impressive than an iPad as it actually adds functionality rather than just being a big ipod.

Problem is, the iPod Touch itself has more functionality than most android tablets out there. We can't speak for Playbook yet seen nobody has seen or touch it--it's just press release now and hope it will deliver.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2007
2719 posts
702 upvotes
the price point was said to be "similar" to that of the ipad.

I am thinking the smaller screen helps lower the price (which would make for easier business adoption), and increase the battery life.

with all the specs, I really doubt they would let the playbook have a crappy lcd screen.

all it needs is a projector lens and it would be GOLD!