None
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3401 posts
737 upvotes
Toronto
gatorb6 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 9:56 am
The whole squad wins as there's no team battle among each other at the end. Same as with duos. Not sure about SpicYMchaggis but the rest of us 3 were all running Xbox One S and that was our first every chicken dinner too which was great.

Not going to sugar coat it but it's janky, there's rubber banding at times and the frame rate is okay at best. At the start it's rough but after a minute or so it's pretty stable. Despite that, the thrills, excitement and tension this game provides, especially at the latter stages greatly outweigh the negatives. Playing with friends just makes it all the better.
Oh, and to add, @SpicYMchaggis game actually crashed early in that match, and so while he was restarting the app, we all had to just protect his body, which was frozen in the game. Thankfully, we were inside a house.

The good thing is, if the game crashes on you, when you log in, it at least remembers and puts you right back in the server you were playing in.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3401 posts
737 upvotes
Toronto
clee290 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 11:05 am
I believe it's pretty much what is running on the test servers right now. New desert map (with map-specific weapons), vaulting, new UI, from what I've seen, the game runs better.

Also, they added the options to toggle/hold ADS and a replay system.
The vaulting is already in the XBox One release, but even if it hits 1.0, I still expect it to be janky.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6497 posts
1542 upvotes
The 4GB update patch is out right now.

Crossbow vs AK-47 fight, a guy is still stuck in his parachute 10 minutes into a match and can't get out..., and
a player named RollMoBluntz tries to attack me bare fisted vs my crowbar.
Fun times.

The buggy is the best vehicle to use if you can find one.

It controls really smoothly and has a lot of power behind it, like the mock lambourghinis in Grand Theft Auto V, compared
to the other road vehicles.
ReeGee wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 1:05 pm
IGN gives PUBG for Xbox a 5/10. Not that I care about IGN or media reviews in general but that's interesting coming from a media outlet that is traditionally forgiving and has been known to give 7-8's to some pretty garbage games. I think the PC version looks rough enough but that base OG xbox release is probably the single most disgusting looking current gen console release I've seen.

The 1.0 release has a huge ad plastered at the top of the Steam store page right now launches at 2AM EST. Looking forward to hearing player impressions of this new PC release as it'll probably determine whether I get the game soon or wait longer. Still have a ton to play and not in huge rush if it's still full of issues
There is only one map in PUBG but it is very large. Probably larger scale than any of the Battlefield games. It does not matter much because the play zone gets restricted every 5 minutes to discourage players that camp and do not want to move.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5973 posts
2126 upvotes
Toronto
IGN gives PUBG for Xbox a 5/10. Not that I care about IGN or media reviews in general but that's interesting coming from a media outlet that is traditionally forgiving and has been known to give 7-8's to some pretty garbage games. I think the PC version looks rough enough but that base OG xbox release is probably the single most disgusting looking current gen console release I've seen.

The 1.0 release has a huge ad plastered at the top of the Steam store page right now launches at 2AM EST. Looking forward to hearing player impressions of this new PC release as it'll probably determine whether I get the game soon or wait longer. Still have a ton to play and not in huge rush if it's still full of issues

I don't go on the store that often but this is probably the biggest ad I've seen on the top of the Steam store in a while. Curious to see how this effects the peak playerbase tomorrow and over the holiday weekend. Current peak today is 2.7 MILLION. Insane
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5973 posts
2126 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 1:14 pm
There is only one map in PUBG but it is very large. Probably larger scale than any of the Battlefield games. It does not matter much because the play zone gets restricted every 5 minutes to discourage players that camp and do not want to move.
Isn't the big deal with 1.0 that they're launching that new desert map? Been reading good things about that
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3401 posts
737 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 1:16 pm

I don't go on the store that often but this is probably the biggest ad I've seen on the top of the Steam store in a while. Curious to see how this effects the peak playerbase tomorrow and over the holiday weekend. Current peak today is 2.7 MILLION. Insane
Thing is, don't expect 1.0 to suddenly fix all the buggy, janky shit in the game either. It's probably still a long way from being as polished as a AAA title, and I think Bluehole right now is more apt to fix any map issues in the desert map or larger scale issues, and spend less time in refinement. If you're able to stomach some of the weird, ugly, broken crap, there's a solid game buried within. And you probably won't even appreciate it until much later on if you get a top 15 or top 10 placement.

Again, it's all psychological, endorphin type highs that keep people on this game and looking past how technically bad it is. But once you 'get it', you'll get it. Or you may never will.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1083 posts
276 upvotes
Even though IGN gave PUBG for Xbox a 5/10 it should be noted that they gave the PC version a 9/10. You know when IGN gives a game a score of 5 things are bad lol. The PC version looks and runs miles better than the xbox one version. I can't believe the devs even posted that this game would run at 60fps on consoles when they can't even get it to run at 30fps. From what I understand the current build on the xbox is way behind the PC from a build around may/june.

PUBG is making a TON of money despite being a smallish development team, you have to be wondering what they are doing with all that extra money. They are owned by one of the richest companies in the world called Tencent. I just learned about them yesterday and for those that don't know they are a chinese media company that has surpassed facebook and google. Crazy!

There is definite potential for this to be a big win for xbox as everyone seems to be getting hooked on this game. For sure this is a game you have to play to "get it" because just by going by the videos you'd think people are nuts to be playing this,

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5973 posts
2126 upvotes
Toronto
I just want to see major lag and performance issues are mostly gone in 1.0 because I have like zero patience for that kind of thing these days and if they are gone then I'll probably get it soon. I'm off work for 2 weeks right now and would love to be able to get into this game if this release tonight gets good reviews

Some interesting comments in this thread about it leaving early access.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments ... launching/

The responses about the difference in the EA build and people who have been playing the test 1.0 build on PC have almost sold me but i'll still give it a day or two for reviews
Last edited by ReeGee on Dec 20th, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5025 posts
716 upvotes
calgary
M1GOmigs wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 1:24 pm
Thing is, don't expect 1.0 to suddenly fix all the buggy, janky shit in the game either. It's probably still a long way from being as polished as a AAA title, and I think Bluehole right now is more apt to fix any map issues in the desert map or larger scale issues, and spend less time in refinement. If you're able to stomach some of the weird, ugly, broken crap, there's a solid game buried within. And you probably won't even appreciate it until much later on if you get a top 15 or top 10 placement.

Again, it's all psychological, endorphin type highs that keep people on this game and looking past how technically bad it is. But once you 'get it', you'll get it. Or you may never will.
Yeah it definitely took me a few games, the first impressions is really bad because of how it looks, runs and some of the weird controls. Also I played a fair bit of DayZ back in the day so I was quite familiar with the sort of tension that this game can deliver.

But what this game does (that DayZ doesn't) is streamline everything that made DayZ enjoyable and ditch the rest. No looking for servers or entering games with established crews or creeping around for an hour without really finding anyone or anything. It delivers those cool moments from DayZ far more frequently and without investing near as much time.

Its also incredibly fun with a squad regardless of skill, I was with the most inept squad of 4 last night, I don't think we placed higher then #21/25 in the 5-6 games.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5025 posts
716 upvotes
calgary
This game is in early access, applying a low score (or a score period) as a result of performance issues that are sure to be ironed out feels a bit clickbaity to me. But given the way MS marketed it (ie as some big holiday exclusive) I guess I get it.
Aug 20, 2009
6493 posts
1134 upvotes
Grimsby
I think it's totally fair, they're (Blue Hole, not MS) charging money for it right now. Slapping a different label on it doesn't change the fact that they're selling a product and any time you do that, you open it up to criticism. The reviewers are just warning people about what to expect if they buy it right now. The sorts of glitches, severe frame drops, lag and outright crashes we see in PUBG on Xbox right now are NOT the norm for most games so people should be warned IMO. Most of the reviewers are pretty good about re-reviewing these things later on if they get patched. IGN for example does that pretty consistently.

I love me some PUBG but the game has been a damned mess for a long time. I hear good things about the test builds but those aren't here yet.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3401 posts
737 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 4:14 pm
I think it's totally fair, they're (Blue Hole, not MS) charging money for it right now. Slapping a different label on it doesn't change the fact that they're selling a product and any time you do that, you open it up to criticism. The reviewers are just warning people about what to expect if they buy it right now. The sorts of glitches, severe frame drops, lag and outright crashes we see in PUBG on Xbox right now are NOT the norm for most games so people should be warned IMO. Most of the reviewers are pretty good about re-reviewing these things later on if they get patched. IGN for example does that pretty consistently.

I love me some PUBG but the game has been a damned mess for a long time. I hear good things about the test builds but those aren't here yet.
A thing that further muddies the waters is the fact that you can buy a boxed version of PUBG that contains a download code, so to call this an "early access game" is a bit misleading. I mean, we in this forum know what to expect, but there are A LOT of more casual gamers who stop into EB Games or Bestbuy not knowing anything about the state of this game. To them, this is technically a "retail" game and not an early access preview/paid beta/whatever they want to call it.

That said, everyone who has spent some time in this thread should know what the state of this game is and what to expect from it. I laughed hard the first time I booted this game up. One of the first things I said was something like "WTF is this mess? I'm going back to Fortnite!"
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5025 posts
716 upvotes
calgary
M1GOmigs wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 4:40 pm
A thing that further muddies the waters is the fact that you can buy a boxed version of PUBG that contains a download code, so to call this an "early access game" is a bit misleading. I mean, we in this forum know what to expect, but there are A LOT of more casual gamers who stop into EB Games or Bestbuy not knowing anything about the state of this game. To them, this is technically a "retail" game and not an early access preview/paid beta/whatever they want to call it.

That said, everyone who has spent some time in this thread should know what the state of this game is and what to expect from it. I laughed hard the first time I booted this game up. One of the first things I said was something like "WTF is this mess? I'm going back to Fortnite!"
One of my friends who bought it sight unseen based on word of mouth and hype was actually shocked when he first played it and saw how ugly and janky it was.
He actually thought it was some big budget technical show piece ala CoD or something.

Given that the game hit 1 million in 48 hours I would wager he is not the only one that feels this way.
Aug 20, 2009
6493 posts
1134 upvotes
Grimsby
I actually worry that this sort of thing will normalize peoples expectations about product quality in the console market. Getting a relatively crash free experience without a ton of jank is one of things I appreciate it. There are still bugs, performance issues and patches but its generally nowhere near the issues we see on the PC side of things. I don't want devs/pubs thinking its OK to do this all the time, would not be good for the market in the long term as Atari can attest to.

Anyways back to PUBG chat, I got my download code so I will hopefully be joining in for some shenanigans soon.