• Nov 23rd, 2017 12:58 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5946 posts
777 upvotes
Grimsby
It's super fun. Basically its the PvP from DayZ, H1Z1 and etc with all of the survival crap stripped out. The gunfire mechanics are slightly wonky but always in an amusing way. The weapon balance is solid and everything is just really fun. It's pretty easy to hop in but has a very high skill ceiling, knowing the vehicle locations is key IMO.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3187 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
Some info on PUBG on the Xbox one

TL;DR?
The good: it runs on XBox One X
The bad: it runs 30-40fps in 100 man server on the most powerful console dev kit
The ugly: What I assume are their current performance figures on regular XBox One consoles

We're still well away from playing this on console, but it's good to get some updates ever since it was announced at E3.
In a new interview, creator Brendan “PlayerUnknown” Greene reiterated that the team has yet to decide on a date yet.

A new team has been busy, though, getting the game to run on Xbox platforms to see what kind of performance optimisations are needed. In the interview, Greene was keen not to confirm final player counts per server for the console version.

“We have a version running on the Xbox One X prototype in the office which can plug into the online servers,” he told Eurogamer.

“We were playing on live servers on the console at about 30 or 40 FPS. So it works on 100 man servers.”
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5278 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 1:00 pm
The bad: it runs 30-40fps in 100 man server on the most powerful console dev kit
Was this at 4K or 1080P? I kinda saw stuff like this coming when they promoted with benchmarks from a closed circuit racing game rather than the games and genres that are having performance issues on the current models
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3187 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 1:06 pm
Was this at 4K or 1080P? I kinda saw stuff like this coming when they promoted with benchmarks from a closed circuit racing game rather than the games and genres that are having performance issues on the current models
They don't really specify and I assume those arent 4k or else they would've mentioned. I can't even assume it's 1080p since I bet they work from a low res first and then scale up once the game can run well on base model consoles.

Still, they did say late 2017, and we don't know when they started porting it over. Hopefully this can be remedied with a lot of further optimization
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5278 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 1:35 pm
They don't really specify and I assume those arent 4k or else they would've mentioned. I can't even assume it's 1080p since I bet they work from a low res first and then scale up once the game can run well on base model consoles.

Still, they did say late 2017, and we don't know when they started porting it over. Hopefully this can be remedied with a lot of further optimization
If it's at 4K then 30-40 FPS is actually pretty good. If that's at 1080P then that's pretty rough considering how this thing is being marketed. Probably a CPU bottleneck at that point and doubt they're getting to 60fps regardless of optimizations.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3187 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 2:07 pm
If it's at 4K then 30-40 FPS is actually pretty good. If that's at 1080P then that's pretty rough considering how this thing is being marketed. Probably a CPU bottleneck at that point and doubt they're getting to 60fps regardless of optimizations.
TBH, I'm not one who absolutely needs 60fps in a shooter like PUBG, and if it's stable at 30 fps, then that's fine by me. Beggars can't be choosers, and I'm not going to spend on a new computer just so I can play one game. Besides, we all played Halo at 30 fps, and Battlegrounds is not as hectic and fast paced as that game was.

If it's the CPU that's the bottleneck then can we assume that the Xbone and Xbone X differences wouldn't be too drastic then, since doesn't the X (and similarly, PS4Pro) just use an overclocked jaguar cpu too, and the rest of the performance is due to better graphics card & better/more RAM?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5278 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 3:15 pm
TBH, I'm not one who absolutely needs 60fps in a shooter like PUBG, and if it's stable at 30 fps, then that's fine by me. Beggars can't be choosers, and I'm not going to spend on a new computer just so I can play one game. Besides, we all played Halo at 30 fps, and Battlegrounds is not as hectic and fast paced as that game was.

If it's the CPU that's the bottleneck then can we assume that the Xbone and Xbone X differences wouldn't be too drastic then, since doesn't the X (and similarly, PS4Pro) just use an overclocked jaguar cpu too, and the rest of the performance is due to better graphics card & better/more RAM?
stable 30 on the original X1 would be fine, impressive even considering the age and low price of that hardware but having 1080p/30 on the X1X which isn't even out yet and shooting for $500 USD would be pretty disappointing imo. I would expect the X1X to put out 1080p/60fps or 4K/30fps in a title like this. I was under the impression the X1X is supposed to be significantly more powerful than the PS4 pro but I haven't really been keeping up with news on that tbh
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3187 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 4:39 pm
stable 30 on the original X1 would be fine, impressive even considering the age and low price of that hardware but having 1080p/30 on the X1X which isn't even out yet and shooting for $500 USD would be pretty disappointing imo. I would expect the X1X to put out 1080p/60fps or 4K/30fps in a title like this. I was under the impression the X1X is supposed to be significantly more powerful than the PS4 pro but I haven't really been keeping up with news on that tbh
As mentioned earlier, I think it's a bit premature to say that stable 30-40 is what they'll end up with for this console. If you read the quote:
A new team has been busy, though, getting the game to run on Xbox platforms to see what kind of performance optimisations are needed.
So it seems that there's still more work to be done, and they're not saying that this is the final product that we'll be seeing.

Also, how much would it cost to build a PC that can run PUBG in 4k/30fps? I'm genuinely curious... Because if the number is $500, then it's fine to have those expectations... but if not, then you might need to adjust your expectations of the XboneX too...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5278 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 4:51 pm
Also, how much would it cost to build a PC that can run PUBG in 4k/30fps? I'm genuinely curious... Because if the number is $500, then it's fine to have those expectations... but if not, then you might need to adjust your expectations of the XboneX too...
My expectations are just based on the marketing and info that were being posted during E3 but I haven't kept up to date since. Back then MS reps were supposedly claiming it would run games like Battlefront 2 at 4K/60fps. The E3 presentation made it sound like they're trying to offer cutting edge 1080p and 4K performance for $500 USD going as far as to show Forza 7 running at 4K/60fps. Haven't kept up with hardware prices in about 5 years now so not sure what a 4K/30fps rig would cost these days but apparently GPU prices are in a bad way right now.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3187 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 5:30 pm
My expectations are just based on the marketing and info that were being posted during E3 but I haven't kept up to date since. Back then MS reps were supposedly claiming it would run games like Battlefront 2 at 4K/60fps. The E3 presentation made it sound like they're trying to offer cutting edge 1080p and 4K performance for $500 USD going as far as to show Forza 7 running at 4K/60fps. Haven't kept up with hardware prices in about 5 years now so not sure what a 4K/30fps rig would cost these days but apparently GPU prices are in a bad way right now.
Yeah, considering bitcoin miners are snapping them up apparently, there's little recourse for an affordable 4k system anyway. I think native 4k/60fps in most games is a pipe dream at the onset but I wouldn't doubt it happening down the line once devs get used to some graphical trickery. And it'll likely be only first party games that see that.

My point is, most PC players aren't playing PUBG in 4k/60 and yet it still continues to dominate. It'll be fine on console.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3187 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
9394 wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 9:15 am
https://www.vg247.com/2017/07/26/player ... r-servers/

PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds already running at 30-40fps on Xbox One X on 100-player servers

I hate to see FPS on the regular Xbox One
Yup, I posted that up yesterday, and it's the topic of @ReeGee & my mini debate... join in! :)
Aug 13, 2006
280 posts
57 upvotes
First person mode coming out in the monthly patch. Looking forward to it. As an old FPS gamer, I've been struggling to get comfortable with the aiming in third person.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
3539 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
man I suck at this game... can never figure out the bullet drop/delay and also hate the inventory management :(