Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

playon lifetime for $29.99US

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2017 8:35 pm
Tags:
25 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2014
2447 posts
2912 upvotes
Laputa
I can watch Netflix shows for free with this app or what?

Thx OP! Bought 10 😂
Nov 2, 2007
204 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
no. you have to steam the show/movie first and this app will record it like it's a pvr. then you can watch it later. at least that's what i assume.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
7408 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
I was going to post this too, was looking for a thread to bump, etc. but saw this one. It deserves it's own thread anyway. (Plus OP, you thoughtfully linked to the old thread!) I've been keeping my eye on Playon for months and it is always on sale for $40 (not always, but sales are quick to rotate in so one should NEVER buy it at $70) and this is USD we're talking. I tried the free trial before, found the interface (for the PC) to be a bit meh, but didn't give it a full effort and admit I didn't spend time on it. I might even bite on this deal. $30 is the lowest I've seen it for.
Banned
Jun 5, 2012
1418 posts
498 upvotes
I was going to post this too, was looking for a thread to bump, etc. but saw this one. It deserves it's own thread anyway. (Plus OP, you thoughtfully linked to the old thread!) I've been keeping my eye on Playon for months and it is always on sale for $40 (not always, but sales are quick to rotate in so one should NEVER buy it at $70) and this is USD we're talking. I tried the free trial before, found the interface (for the PC) to be a bit meh, but didn't give it a full effort and admit I didn't spend time on it. I might even bite on this deal. $30 is the lowest I've seen it for.
lol.. I was like you, I tried the trial but for some reason I forgot to cancel and got charged for 1 year. I noticed the 2nd year I got charged and asked for the refund. I cant review the playon experience, but their customer service was speedy with my questions and refund.
Sep 20, 2007
555 posts
186 upvotes
I tried PlayOn for a bit. It is a pretty decent service but I couldn't stand how the recordings only go to a max of 720p and I found the encoding wasn't the best, but anyone deciding can just use the trial to see how it is for them.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5348 posts
4356 upvotes
Does it start downloading at max speed as soon as steam starts or does it have to wait for steam to finish.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2286 posts
1042 upvotes
BC
WL1980 wrote: Does it start downloading at max speed as soon as steam starts or does it have to wait for steam to finish.
Waits for the stream to finish. When viewing bandwidth/sec in DuMeter, its like bursts to 22Mbps for 1-2 seconds, then nothing, then bursting again, etc.
Lucky Mobile: $20/3GB Unlimited Canada wide calling. DMINR
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2286 posts
1042 upvotes
BC
Millenniunn wrote: I can watch Netflix shows for free with this app or what?
They have a "channels" configuration page for like 30-40 different services. If its paid, like Hulu, Amazon or Netflix, you put in your login details and then that content is available to record. Lots of free channels they list as well. It's really only applicable to US, but if you had a cable/satellite account, you could use that to get access channels you subscribe to like HBO, Cinemax, Starz, etc.

I've had a lifetime license for a few years now. If you don't sub to sat/cable and only use streaming services, then this is a great deal. But I don't use this as my primary TV source (I have multiple sat receivers), but I use it to record from Netflix and Amazon prime. I've seen some mentions of some Netflix content not being available to record, but I've never ran into that issue myself.

I've had to use their Support a number of times. Things regularly break due to all these different channel providers changing their backends, but they are generally responsive to frequent updates. I feel like their support tries hard and engages and has solved all my issues except for one (some free clip site wouldn't autostart the movie so the recording failed).

On Amazon Prime, I add a season to watchlist using browser on my PC, and then in Playon, it shows up under my free watchlist. I can then record the seasons. Halfway through Hand of God right now.
Lucky Mobile: $20/3GB Unlimited Canada wide calling. DMINR
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
7408 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
HRhater wrote: lol.. I was like you, I tried the trial but for some reason I forgot to cancel and got charged for 1 year. I noticed the 2nd year I got charged and asked for the refund. I cant review the playon experience, but their customer service was speedy with my questions and refund.
Gah!! I hate it when you can't tell if your trial will end the second you cancel, or go on until the end of the trial (like Spotify and Amazon!) Sorry you got charged for that first year. Man,
Aug 18, 2011
179 posts
101 upvotes
I have PlayOn and I like it for recording Netflix shows and then watching them later on a personal device. When I had a VPN, it would record CW, NBC, ABC shows. Right now you can't record Amazon Prime in Canada because in their drop down menu for Amazon Prime, Canada isn't listed and Amazon Prime is geolocated. I've bugged them MANY times to update it so that we can record Prime in Canada but to no avail.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20123 posts
2949 upvotes
I used to have a PlayON sub.

In addition to the recording, what a lot of people are not mentioning is the fact that PlayOn allows you to view video that streams on all kind of websites on your Smart TV without needing another device like a ChromeCast. Anything that supports DLNA or UPNP will work with it.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2014
2447 posts
2912 upvotes
Laputa
Timbo420 wrote: They have a "channels" configuration page for like 30-40 different services. If its paid, like Hulu, Amazon or Netflix, you put in your login details and then that content is available to record. Lots of free channels they list as well. It's really only applicable to US, but if you had a cable/satellite account, you could use that to get access channels you subscribe to like HBO, Cinemax, Starz, etc.

I've had a lifetime license for a few years now. If you don't sub to sat/cable and only use streaming services, then this is a great deal. But I don't use this as my primary TV source (I have multiple sat receivers), but I use it to record from Netflix and Amazon prime. I've seen some mentions of some Netflix content not being available to record, but I've never ran into that issue myself.

I've had to use their Support a number of times. Things regularly break due to all these different channel providers changing their backends, but they are generally responsive to frequent updates. I feel like their support tries hard and engages and has solved all my issues except for one (some free clip site wouldn't autostart the movie so the recording failed).

On Amazon Prime, I add a season to watchlist using browser on my PC, and then in Playon, it shows up under my free watchlist. I can then record the seasons. Halfway through Hand of God right now.
Seems very useful, thank you for your explanation!

Thx OP! Bought 10 😂
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2011
1725 posts
1893 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
Timbo420 wrote: I've had to use their Support a number of times. Things regularly break due to all these different channel providers changing their backends, but they are generally responsive to frequent updates. I feel like their support tries hard and engages and has solved all my issues except for one (some free clip site wouldn't autostart the movie so the recording failed).

I am like you I have had lifetime for about 4-5 years. This is a really great product and especially useful if you travel or have internet with limited downloads using their off-peak scheduler. That being said, I have this feeling they are trying to shift to their paid cloud service. I put in a ticket 3 months ago for getting access to HBO through DirecTV Now. It never retains the login credentials. It is still unresolved.

You can follow problems people are experiencing with PlayOn on the Reddit discussion. https://www.reddit.com/r/PlayOn/
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2011
1725 posts
1893 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
Millenniunn wrote: I can watch Netflix shows for free with this app or what?
Think of this as a PVR for services you already subscribe to. If you don't have a Netflix subscription, you will not be able to record anything.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
4263 posts
469 upvotes
I have a playon account. Have no idea how to tell if it's lifetime or not...
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2010
1726 posts
2170 upvotes
Earth
herrdude wrote: Think of this as a PVR for services you already subscribe to. If you don't have a Netflix subscription, you will not be able to record anything.
So not true, now think of this: you can record TubiTV, Crackle and and many US Streams. I can't get the CBC channel to work anymore but the CBC Kodi doesn't work either, go figure. IT's worth the money to sign up for a free month, download all you want then watch over a few months then move on to another service :)

Really worth it, I would highly recommend
Zoomer: 1 account for family and planning to leave for good in 2023
Koodo too: for a phone and locked to 24 months but was a good deal.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2011
1725 posts
1893 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
geoffs wrote: So not true, now think of this: you can record TubiTV, Crackle and and many US Streams. I can't get the CBC channel to work anymore but the CBC Kodi doesn't work either, go figure. IT's worth the money to sign up for a free month, download all you want then watch over a few months then move on to another service :)

Really worth it, I would highly recommend
Yes, yes, yes. Free services can be recorded. The person was asking about Netflix. PlayOn will not give free access to paid services.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2011
1725 posts
1893 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
Kingmoo wrote: I have a playon account. Have no idea how to tell if it's lifetime or not...
Go to their website (www.playon.tv) and log in. You will see what service you have.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8898 posts
6596 upvotes
SW ON
And it works well with Getflix for American Netflix. Just set Getflix DNS servers on the PC PlayOn installed on and cast to any device on your local network.