• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2017 8:08 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6651 posts
789 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2017 10:56 pm
You should probably try un-installing and re-installing it.
The newest patch is 1.06.

The modes can be toggled in the game's option menu anytime.
I have not had any crashes with Rise of the Tomb Raider. The only game I had crash on any PS4 model is Mafia III.

Nixxes makes a lot of tweaks with every patch.

it was an online purchase and i downloaded the game this weekend on Saturday, so it should've came with the patch applied already, no?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2005
1613 posts
102 upvotes
Montr
Buggy166 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2017 2:11 pm
it was an online purchase and i downloaded the game this weekend on Saturday, so it should've came with the patch applied already, no?
No. I have found that digital download have to aquire the exact same patches asynchronously, not bunlded in the original d/l.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6651 posts
789 upvotes
drdrma wrote:
Jan 17th, 2017 4:43 pm
No. I have found that digital download have to aquire the exact same patches asynchronously, not bunlded in the original d/l.
oh? well thats a surprise.

ok good to know. would i manually need to trigger its update patches from the main menu? im at work now so i cant login to see the game. It hasnt auto downloaded any patches yet.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5975 posts
1282 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2017 5:49 pm
oh? well thats a surprise.

ok good to know. would i manually need to trigger its update patches from the main menu? im at work now so i cant login to see the game. It hasnt auto downloaded any patches yet.
To manually download a patch if you do not have automatic downloads turned on, go to the game icon and press the Options button.
Then Check for Update.

It was announced today that Resogun is getting a 4K support with HDR soon.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6651 posts
789 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2017 5:59 pm
To manually download a patch if you do not have automatic downloads turned on, go to the game icon and press the Options button.
Then Check for Update.

It was announced today that Resogun is getting a 4K support with HDR soon.
Thanks for that. Doesnt the PS 4 have auto updates on by default? I'll have to check on that and turn it on if its not. Saves me time to have to wait for stuff to download, when i wanna play. I dont have much available time to begin with, so wasting time to wait for a larger download (and then play) isnt possible on my end.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3496 posts
288 upvotes
is there no setting to retain auto standy-by but not when the system is downloading games?
minor oversight

I've only had PS4 for a month and my favourite feature is probably auto-standby without closing applications. One or two button and you're back into the action in-game. Fits my lifestyle well so I dont have to sit through splash screen etc to get things going. This is where console gaming really shines (I guess I could just alt-tab out of PC games but I notice the perfomance becomes really sluggish from memory leak if I try to get back into it)
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7462 posts
775 upvotes
Victoria
The standby would be cooler if it didn't leave the led lit up on the ps4.... I agree it works well, but the light staying on in orange kind of bugs me. It's not unique to the pro though. regular ps4 does it too (Allthough the led bar is on the top).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5975 posts
1282 upvotes
zod wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2017 7:46 pm
The standby would be cooler if it didn't leave the led lit up on the ps4.... I agree it works well, but the light staying on in orange kind of bugs me. It's not unique to the pro though. regular ps4 does it too (Allthough the led bar is on the top).
The only time it is safe to unplug the power cord from a PS4 is when the light is completely off (meaning the system is powered off entirely).

Unplugging the PS4 when it is on during regular operation or sleep mode can damage the system.
That is why the light indicator is always on when it is in either of those two modes.

Personally I rarely put the PS4 in sleep mode and either have it on or off. Booting up a game and loading from a save file
does not take that long from a fresh system power up. With sleep mode I guess it is more convenient to resume
exactly where you left off, if the game you are playing does not have any nearby save points.

---

Digital Foundry plays through all the current native 4K resolution 60fps PS4 Pro compatible games this week:

Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7462 posts
775 upvotes
Victoria
XFactor11 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2017 8:07 pm

Personally I rarely put the PS4 in sleep mode and either have it on or off. Booting up a game and loading from a save file
does not take that long from a fresh system power up. With sleep mode I guess it is more convenient to resume
exactly where you left off, if the game you are playing does not have any nearby save points.
I'm the same way. I usually power it off when I'm not using it. I miss how the ps3 used to update itself while left off. I guess it must of powered itself on nightly or regularly to check for updates and then back off. It's a first world problem, but it sucks to go play a game and then have to wait a while for a 5gb update to download/install.. lol... Maybe I'm missing it in the settings. It sometimes does amuse me the handful of things that the ps3 did better than the ps4. Not many left though, but this is one of them.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5975 posts
1282 upvotes
I just checked to make sure but you can enable automatic sleep mode downloads on PS4, but just like with the PS3 auto-sleep mode downloads, at
least one account on the PS3 or PS4 system needs to have PS+.

Automatic sleep mode downloads is enabled through: System --> Automatic Downloads on PS4.

The PS4 in standby mode (orange light) does the same thing the PS3 would do in standby mode.
On PS3 that is when the red power indicator is on. On both systems, if enable the settings in the options,
the systems will automatically check for updates an install updates while in that standby state.

zod wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2017 9:23 pm
I'm the same way. I usually power it off when I'm not using it. I miss how the ps3 used to update itself while left off. I guess it must of powered itself on nightly or regularly to check for updates and then back off. It's a first world problem, but it sucks to go play a game and then have to wait a while for a 5gb update to download/install.. lol... Maybe I'm missing it in the settings. It sometimes does amuse me the handful of things that the ps3 did better than the ps4. Not many left though, but this is one of them.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7462 posts
775 upvotes
Victoria
Unfortunately I think were not on the same page.

The PS4 seems to have 3 modes. Power On, Power Off, and Rest. The Ps3 had two modes. Power On and Power Off. It would still update up from Power Off. There really wasn't an intermediate mode like the ps3's rest mode, where the orange light stays on. It could still update while powered off.

For the PS4 to auto update you have to leave it on with the orange light on. You didn't have to do that with the ps3 (Albeit it doesn't have an orange light). I liked the ps3 way better. No orange light on all the time.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3496 posts
288 upvotes
yeah i figured this is standard across all PS4

the orange light doesnt bother nme.

I had no idea the PS3 could update/download in standby (LED light red). Never had PS+ though.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7462 posts
775 upvotes
Victoria
Yah. I think how the ps3 did it, was it was pretty much off (standby mode like most other electronics) except there was a timer to check for updates/sync saves overnight). IE it could turn itself on in the background to complete those tasks then turn itself back off again. It worked really well. It still works really well. My Ps3 Phat is pretty much a netflix box/bluray player at this point. You can still see what updates it's installed when I turn it on from time to time.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2005
1613 posts
102 upvotes
Montr
The strange thing is the PS4 downloads faster when in low power rest mode.
May 9, 2007
807 posts
221 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2017 8:07 pm
The only time it is safe to unplug the power cord from a PS4 is when the light is completely off (meaning the system is powered off entirely).

Unplugging the PS4 when it is on during regular operation or sleep mode can damage the system.
That is why the light indicator is always on when it is in either of those two modes.

---

Digital Foundry plays through all the current native 4K resolution 60fps PS4 Pro compatible games this week:

Lol why are they showing Forza in a video about 4k gaming with the PS4 Pro?