PC & Video Games

PlayStation 4 Pro Launch Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2017 11:40 am
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5340 posts
1067 upvotes
Digital Foundry tests 9 games that have never been patched for PS4 Pro support using the PS4 Pro's 4.50 firmware boost mode:

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5340 posts
1067 upvotes
Fallout 4 PS4 received an official PS4 Pro patch from Bethesda. Digital Foundry's analysis:

Penalty Box
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
970 upvotes
Vaughan
Does this thing still sound like an airplane?

I'm getting sick of my OG PS4. The controller battery life barely lasts 4 hours (not an exaggeration) and the console itself sounds like it's gearing up for a long flight.

I'd hate to buy another console because of Sony's ability to actually make good hardware, but if this ever drops in price, I might have to. Assuming the noise and battery life has been fixed.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5340 posts
1067 upvotes
My PS4 Pros are quieter than my launch PS4 and run very quiet.
It depends on where and how the system was made.

Some people have very noisy systems. Just like with the Playstation 3s: I have one really loud 60GB launch model PS3 that is constantly loud and another one of the same model type
that is whisper silent no matter what it is running.

You can dim the lightbar intensity on the controller extend the time between when recharge is needed. Or turn off vibration but
I always leave vibration on. I have 7 controllers. Usually i just charge them using a USB phone adapter type cable when the console is off.

There are some cheap extra long cables on amazon that you can use to charge the controller while playing.
Another alternative is to leave the PS4 in rest mode (orange light mode) and charge the controller while it is in low power mode.
squadz wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 8:23 am
Does this thing still sound like an airplane?

I'm getting sick of my OG PS4. The controller battery life barely lasts 4 hours (not an exaggeration) and the console itself sounds like it's gearing up for a long flight.

I'd hate to buy another console because of Sony's ability to actually make good hardware, but if this ever drops in price, I might have to. Assuming the noise and battery life has been fixed.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
6814 posts
588 upvotes
Victoria
My Ps4 was quiet, my ps4 pro also seems fairly quiet. I suppose it depends on where you keep it and how much air it has around it.

In regards to controller lifespan. It's so short compared to last gen console. I swear it's the stupid LED on the remote. IF you dim it, it stretches controller life from about 4 hours to almost 10 hours. It makes me wonder how long it would last if you could turn off the LED completely.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3262 posts
214 upvotes
[..]
PS4P is whisper quiet...but it's winter and I haven't tried running intensive games yet.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5614 posts
583 upvotes
Grimsby
zod wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 1:17 am
My Ps4 was quiet, my ps4 pro also seems fairly quiet. I suppose it depends on where you keep it and how much air it has around it.

In regards to controller lifespan. It's so short compared to last gen console. I swear it's the stupid LED on the remote. IF you dim it, it stretches controller life from about 4 hours to almost 10 hours. It makes me wonder how long it would last if you could turn off the LED completely.
The LED uses little power, its just a matter of them packing a lot of functionality into a single thing and then putting a paltry battery in it. They really cheaped out on it.

That said 4-6 hours is a generous session for most gamers and incidentally its about the battery life of the Switch apparently. Many people own 2 controllers making it a relative non-issue judging by Sony's runaway success. Most people are also conditioned to charge devices now after owning a cell/tablet anyway.
Penalty Box
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
970 upvotes
Vaughan
A lot of functionality? It's a regular controller.

It doesn't do anything special. Having this short of a battery life is just incompetence.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5340 posts
1067 upvotes
squadz wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 8:07 am
A lot of functionality? It's a regular controller.

It doesn't do anything special. Having this short of a battery life is just incompetence.
Without the extra $40 USD expanded battery the Wii U gamepad has an even shorter battery life before it needs to be recharged.
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/p ... prod150204

Plus the Wii U gamepad uses a unique power cable that can't really be used for anything else, and has to be bought from Nintendo directly or cheap 3rd party imitations.

https://www.wired.com/2014/10/wii-u-extended-battery/
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/72117018

With the expanded battery the wii u gamepad still needs to be recharged after 4-5 hours (max brightness and volume).
Without the expanded battery it lasts around 2-3 hours (max brightness and volume)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5614 posts
583 upvotes
Grimsby
The PS4 controller has a speaker, headphone port, acceleronmeter, the light bar, touch pad and etc. It is more than a simple controller. Regardless the reason for the battery life is that Sony uses a small battery combined with several power draining features. As XFactor points out, this is not a problem exclusive to Sony.

The PS4 Pro is quiet and does not melt Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes The updated controllers have slightly better battery life and I recommend picking up a second if 4 hour+ sessions are the norm.
Penalty Box
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
970 upvotes
Vaughan
Who's talking about the gamepad? I'm talking about the DS4.

That's even an unfair comparison, as the gamepad has a WHOLE SCREEN and remote play functionality.

The better comparison is between the Wii U Pro controller (80 hours battery) or the XB1 controller, why didn't you mention those XFactor?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
6814 posts
588 upvotes
Victoria
Redmask wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 8:06 am
The LED uses little power, its just a matter of them packing a lot of functionality into a single thing and then putting a paltry battery in it. They really cheaped out on it.

That said 4-6 hours is a generous session for most gamers and incidentally its about the battery life of the Switch apparently. Many people own 2 controllers making it a relative non-issue judging by Sony's runaway success. Most people are also conditioned to charge devices now after owning a cell/tablet anyway.
Definitely. I have two controllers, so if one goes dead, there's always a fully charged backup. I plugged the USB cable into my PC so I can always charge one, even if the ps4 is turned off.
Penalty Box
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
970 upvotes
Vaughan
zod wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 11:03 am
Definitely. I have two controllers, so if one goes dead, there's always a fully charged backup. I plugged the USB cable into my PC so I can always charge one, even if the ps4 is turned off.
I have two controllers as well, but that's an extra cost and extremely poor planning by Sony. I shouldn't have to pay an extra $74.99 because their controllers can't even last one sitting.

Sony needs to get better at hardware, they should know better by the point. It's embarrassing.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
6814 posts
588 upvotes
Victoria
squadz wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 5:10 pm
I have two controllers as well, but that's an extra cost and extremely poor planning by Sony. I shouldn't have to pay an extra $74.99 because their controllers can't even last one sitting.

Sony needs to get better at hardware, they should know better by the point. It's embarrassing.
I agree. I use my 360 controller on the PC and I run it off rechargable eneloop batteries. I think the battery life is 50 to 60 hours on a 360 controller. On my ps4 I disable the speakers (I find controller speakers annoying), and not many games use the sensor pad. I do like the shape a bit better than the ds3. If sony made a ds4 which was just the features of the ds3, I'd buy it :) Extra longlife gamepads.. lol.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5614 posts
583 upvotes
Grimsby
The FFXV 1.05 patch with PS4 Pro support is out a few days early, adds 60fps Lite and 30 FPS high quality modes. Going to give it a whirl in a bit.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel