PC & Video Games

PlayStation 4 Pro Launch Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2017 8:08 pm
May 9, 2007
773 posts
196 upvotes
I am really glad I went with the ps4 pro. The graphics are simply jaw dropping.

That being said I wonder how much cooler the ps4 slim is in comparison. I read an article that the ps4 pro gets as hot as the slim which was one of the deciding factors in buying it but that can't be possible. My ps4 pro gets tremendousl'y hot. Almost alarmingly so. Hotter than any console or pc I've ever owned. Now it's fine to have an extra heating source in the winter. Come summer time this is going to be a problem.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5861 posts
1230 upvotes
You might have a defective one if that is the case.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... pro-review

My PS4 Pros run cooler and quieter than the original PS4. I keep one Pro and the original launch PS4 side by side next to my computer.
The PS4 Pro in my living room is hooked up to PS VR, but I haven't used the PS VR headset lately.

Bryson wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 2:03 am
I am really glad I went with the ps4 pro. The graphics are simply jaw dropping.

That being said I wonder how much cooler the ps4 slim is in comparison. I read an article that the ps4 pro gets as hot as the slim which was one of the deciding factors in buying it but that can't be possible. My ps4 pro gets tremendousl'y hot. Almost alarmingly so. Hotter than any console or pc I've ever owned. Now it's fine to have an extra heating source in the winter. Come summer time this is going to be a problem.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5820 posts
709 upvotes
Grimsby
Yeah I would exchange that unit, sounds like a defective cooler. Also ensure exhaust/intake vents are not obstructed. It is slightly louder than the Slim I had but not by much.
Jan 29, 2013
611 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 2:03 am
Like others have said, that's not normal. Get it replaced.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5861 posts
1230 upvotes
I think No Man's Sky is a very boring game but
Digital Foundry analyses the new PS4 Pro patch added for No Man's Sky.

A locked 1080p and 60 frames per second mode added for PS4 Pro users. Regular PS4 is 1080p 30 fps.
4K mode on the Pro runs at an unlocked variable framerate. Therefore in 4K mode it unsmoothly runs at mostly around 42 fps with drops down to as low as 24 fps.

Jan 12, 2017
890 posts
120 upvotes
its a no brainer if u got a 4k tv...but not all 4k tvs have HDR right?
Add me on PSN: hubu2017 SFV ps4 aka Mikka1989
Jan 12, 2017
890 posts
120 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 11:39 am
its a no brainer if u got a 4k tv...but not all 4k tvs have HDR right?
i might upgrade at black friday november to the PRO and get a 4k tv if theres deal ...but otherwise i'll stick with the rgular slim ps4 which i just got last week
Add me on PSN: hubu2017 SFV ps4 aka Mikka1989
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5861 posts
1230 upvotes
Digital Foundry covers Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 HD Remix

- Native 4K and 60 fps for all 4 games. (last gen PS3 versions are 720p native resolution and only 30 fps)
- in-engine cutscenes are only 30 fps like the originals
- PS4 Pro resolution is 42 times that of the PS2 version.
Not very graphically demaning. The aesthetic still looks like the PS2 originals (remaster rather than a remake).

Also, the game only renders at 4K if the Pro is connected to a 4K display,
1080p users are locked out of downsampling as was the case with Kingdom Hearts 2.8 which is an odd choice since most games
allow downsampling from higher resolutions when output onto a 1080p display.

The best looking 4K native resolution, 60 fps game on the PS4 Pro is still Fifa soccer.

Last edited by XFactor11 on Apr 16th, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5861 posts
1230 upvotes
Digital Foundry analyzes and compares Injustice 2 on consoles:

I paraphrased he summary by chandoog on neogaf:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1377324

Uses a custom Unreal 3 Engine (Unreal 3 was also used last gen) instead of Unreal Engine 4.

Visuals:
- PS4 Pro 1440p native resolution, which will supersample for 1080p displays.
- Regular PS4 1080p native resolution, XB1 900p native resolution.
- From the developers: Shadowing, Texture Quality and Motion Blur all get improved on Pro.
- 1080p TV owners most likely are getting either super sampling or extra AA. Digital Foundry did not nail it down but said the image quality is much better than the regular PS4's either way.
- Motion blur on PS4 Pro is noticeably better and reduces the dithering seen in OG PS4 and XB1 where motion blur is applied.
- Pro has slightly improved ambient occlusion also.
- PS4 Pro texture quality is enhanced but not substantially.

Performance:
- Locked 60 frames per second for gameplay and 30 FPS for super moves and intro cut-scenes.
- No screen tearing observed on PS4 Pro.
- PS4 regular and XBox One screen tearing observed. More noticeable when playing online.
- XB1 was observed to have a few more torn frames during cut-scenes.

Last edited by XFactor11 on May 21st, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5861 posts
1230 upvotes
Tekken 7 analysis by Digital Foundry:

-Smooth 60 frames per second lock on all versions.
- All versions use Unreal Engine 4. The Tekken games on last gen consoles used Unreal Engine 3.

Regular PS4: 1536 x 864 native resolution. (Sub 900p native resolution, -4% on each axis below 900p)

PS4 Pro: Full 1080p native resolution (1920 x 1080p) with higher quality visual settings.
A 56% boost in pixels over PS4 regular.
- Improved texture filtering, lighting, AA over PS4 regular.
- During online matches, PS4 Pro is still 1080p native resolution but disables the improved texture filtering, and lighting effects
down to the same settings as the regular PS4.

XBox One: 1280 x 720 (720p native resolution).
- Less detailed settings than regular PS4 as well. No ambient occlusion. No depth of field effect.
- Screen tearing only present in this version.

PC version: Runs at maxed out settings on a GTX 1060 at 1080p on this card.
- when set to 1440p resolution, framerate drops to 40 fps on the GTX 1060.
- At maxed out settings the PC version has improved texture filtering over the PS4 Pro.
- Enhanced bloom and lighting. However, Ultra settings adds chromatic aberration, which makes the game look blurry.

Load times between the character select and match start (tested loading the same characters and same stage):

PC using a Solid State Drive: 15.14 seconds, 15.12 seconds 1st test
PS4 Pro stock (default) drive: 21.17 seconds, 24.08 seconds 1st test
PS4 regular (default) drive: 22.23 seconds, 21.59 seconds 1st test
XBox One (default) drive: 41.05 seconds, 40.20 seconds 1st test

Apr 16, 2017
151 posts
156 upvotes
I bought the PS4 Pro on a price error a month or so ago ($369 I believe). I'm using a 1080p TV still, no motivation to upgrade to 4K.

It's okay. It's not worth it if you only have a 1080p TV, and I would have returned it a while ago if I didn't get it at a low price.

The OS seems smoother, I get a lot more of the "CE" error crashing every app though. Games seem about the same, probably have to squint to notice anything.

Apparently Sony says they sell 1 Pro for every 5 PS4's - doesn't sound like a good ratio, wonder what that means for the Scorpio.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2033 posts
556 upvotes
LightYagami wrote:
Jun 5th, 2017 2:57 pm
I bought the PS4 Pro on a price error a month or so ago ($369 I believe). I'm using a 1080p TV still, no motivation to upgrade to 4K.

It's okay. It's not worth it if you only have a 1080p TV, and I would have returned it a while ago if I didn't get it at a low price.

The OS seems smoother, I get a lot more of the "CE" error crashing every app though. Games seem about the same, probably have to squint to notice anything.

Apparently Sony says they sell 1 Pro for every 5 PS4's - doesn't sound like a good ratio, wonder what that means for the Scorpio.
They're going to have to lose their shirts on pricing, otherwise they're dead in the water.

Hopefully it does well, competition is good for all.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5820 posts
709 upvotes
Grimsby
LightYagami wrote:
Jun 5th, 2017 2:57 pm

Completely opposite experience, most of the Pro enhanced games look noticeably improved over the base PS4 versions or have better framerates. This is only getting better as time goes on too.

Also in 1 in 4 PS4s isn't bad at all considering its sold over 60 mil and all they care about is that those people aren't buying Switch or Xbox. Scorpio's acceptance depends entirely on price and killer apps, though I wonder how many people are tapped out at this stage of things and are just buying games instead. The power aspect is more of a marketing one.
Apr 16, 2017
151 posts
156 upvotes
You're incorrect - that statement was since the Pro launch, not the entirety of the PS4 cycle.

Meaning, if they've sold 5 million PS4's since the Pro came out, only 1 million of them were Pros.

^ number might actually be bang on actually, as I believe their sales have only gone up 5 million since the Pro launch.

I'd be shocked if there were more than 2 million Pro's out in the wild to be honest. Not sure why developers would even bother with a small number like that, especially considering soon enough they'll have to develop for: PS4, PS4 Pro, XB1, XB1S, XB Scorpio, PC and quite possibly Switch. No wonder so many developers have trouble with ports on different consoles.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5820 posts
709 upvotes
Grimsby
I wasn't saying there are 15 million units in the wild, I said the PS4 lifetime figures indicate the Pro should have healthy sales going forward. The PS4 Pro is a top end offering to ensure that they have something for a specific market segment. Margins aside, Sony only cares that they keep as many people on their platform as possible. Developers don't need to make specific ports for the Pro (or Scorpio for that matter) going forward thanks to devchain enhancements.

Welcome to the PS4 Pro SQUAD by the way. Face With Tears Of Joy