PC & Video Games

PlayStation 4 Pro Launch Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2017 9:28 am
May 9, 2007
649 posts
155 upvotes
I am really glad I went with the ps4 pro. The graphics are simply jaw dropping.

That being said I wonder how much cooler the ps4 slim is in comparison. I read an article that the ps4 pro gets as hot as the slim which was one of the deciding factors in buying it but that can't be possible. My ps4 pro gets tremendousl'y hot. Almost alarmingly so. Hotter than any console or pc I've ever owned. Now it's fine to have an extra heating source in the winter. Come summer time this is going to be a problem.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5469 posts
1141 upvotes
You might have a defective one if that is the case.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... pro-review

My PS4 Pros run cooler and quieter than the original PS4. I keep one Pro and the original launch PS4 side by side next to my computer.
The PS4 Pro in my living room is hooked up to PS VR, but I haven't used the PS VR headset lately.

Bryson wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 2:03 am
I am really glad I went with the ps4 pro. The graphics are simply jaw dropping.

That being said I wonder how much cooler the ps4 slim is in comparison. I read an article that the ps4 pro gets as hot as the slim which was one of the deciding factors in buying it but that can't be possible. My ps4 pro gets tremendousl'y hot. Almost alarmingly so. Hotter than any console or pc I've ever owned. Now it's fine to have an extra heating source in the winter. Come summer time this is going to be a problem.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5634 posts
597 upvotes
Grimsby
Yeah I would exchange that unit, sounds like a defective cooler. Also ensure exhaust/intake vents are not obstructed. It is slightly louder than the Slim I had but not by much.
Jan 29, 2013
568 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 2:03 am
Like others have said, that's not normal. Get it replaced.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5469 posts
1141 upvotes
I think No Man's Sky is a very boring game but
Digital Foundry analyses the new PS4 Pro patch added for No Man's Sky.

A locked 1080p and 60 frames per second mode added for PS4 Pro users. Regular PS4 is 1080p 30 fps.
4K mode on the Pro runs at an unlocked variable framerate. Therefore in 4K mode it unsmoothly runs at mostly around 42 fps with drops down to as low as 24 fps.

Jan 12, 2017
557 posts
71 upvotes
its a no brainer if u got a 4k tv...but not all 4k tvs have HDR right?
Add me on PSN: hubu2017 SFV ps4 aka Mikka1989
Jan 12, 2017
557 posts
71 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 11:39 am
its a no brainer if u got a 4k tv...but not all 4k tvs have HDR right?
i might upgrade at black friday november to the PRO and get a 4k tv if theres deal ...but otherwise i'll stick with the rgular slim ps4 which i just got last week
Add me on PSN: hubu2017 SFV ps4 aka Mikka1989
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5469 posts
1141 upvotes
Digital Foundry covers Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 HD Remix

- Native 4K and 60 fps for all 4 games.
- in-engine cutscenes are only 30 fps like the originals
- PS4 Pro resolution is 42 times that of the PS2 version.
Not very graphically demaning. The aesthetic still looks like the PS2 originals (remaster rather than a remake).

Also, the game only renders at 4K if the Pro is connected to a 4K display,
1080p users are locked out of downsampling as was the case with Kingdom Hearts 2.8 which is an odd choice since most games
allow downsampling from higher resolutions when output onto a 1080p display.

The best looking 4K native resolution, 60 fps game on the PS4 Pro is still Fifa soccer.

× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel