PC & Video Games

Playstation 5 confirmed. Launching Holiday 2020.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2020 9:07 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
3680 posts
1197 upvotes
Ajax
zod wrote: I usually wait to buy the new console until after a game I want to play comes out on it. Then hopefully there's a bundle that includes the game (and hopefully you can hit up the console on sale).

Unless MS pulls a 180 on making decent exclusives, I'll probably get a ps5 first. The price doesn't seem that far off the ps3 prices. I bought 2nd gen phat (80gb but still had backwards compatibility). With Last of Us II and Ghost of Tshushima coming on on the ps4, I'm not sure if there's something at release I'm going to really want to play?
And it is for your stated reasons that I will go with Xbox initially as there will be more multi-plat games to be played and the Xbox Live continues to be superior to what Sony has on offer. But things could change. In all honesty, I usually buy them all. It will depend on pricing and specs on which one(s) I go with this at the beginning of this round.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7423 posts
4001 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote: Wasn't the ps3 around $600 when it came out? And that was 14 years ago, so if it's 600 now, that's pretty good after adjusting for 14 years of inflation.

Our biggest issue is the Canadian dollar. When the ps4 came out we were close to par. $400 for a ps4. Now the dollar is pretty low.
Some additional context to consider in that comparison, The launch PS3 included a bluray drive which was brand new tech at the time, on board PS1/PS2 BC which was later stripped in cheaper SKUs, free online play, MSRP for games was still $60, and it had powerful specs for the price that was being sold at a loss. The PS4 by comparison was underpowered at launch, required PS+ which had regular price hikes on top of higher MSRP on games, no BC, and restricted peripheral support.

The value of PS5 remains to be seen but going by the trends of the PS4, I'm not expecting much at launch and honestly think it's going to be a rip off in one way or another.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9054 posts
1391 upvotes
Victoria
mrtvgame wrote: And it is for your stated reasons that I will go with Xbox initially as there will be more multi-plat games to be played and the Xbox Live continues to be superior to what Sony has on offer. But things could change. In all honesty, I usually buy them all. It will depend on pricing and specs on which one(s) I go with this at the beginning of this round.
I end up buying them all (well except Nintendo) too. I almost skipped this XBox generation but the optical media drive in my ps3 started to die (was struggling with inserting/ejecting discs). Bought an Xbox One X on super sale to replace it as the optical media box of the house. That being said I've thoroughly been enjoying replaying Red Dead Redemption on it. It looks pretty damn amazing for a 10 year old xbox 360 game.

I think next gen will be the same for me. Microsoft puts most of their games on the PC as well as the Xbox. Thus the PC/Playstation combo works pretty good for me. I can play multiplatformer's on the PC as well as any xbox exclusives that might be worth playing. I really wish more games would offer crosssave. I love switching between devices.

I'm pretty open though. If MS started knocking it out of the park with some great single player games, I wouldn't hesitate to buy an xbox series x.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
3680 posts
1197 upvotes
Ajax
9394 wrote:
Simply put: yes it will. lol Or Sony is purposely trolling M$ with these "news items" that price is going to be an issue due to . . ..

I like his analogy at the end around both playing corporate chicken. Nintendo must be loving it, sitting back and not having to worry, at all.
Sony's reveal of PS4 was directly related to M$ Xbox One E3 reveal. With Sony opting out of E3 again, I wonder if they are forcing M$ to announce pricing first. Would be nice to see Sony have some balls for a change, be confident, and announce pricing first.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1258 posts
1327 upvotes
GameStop releases some specs on a pre-reg site

Apparent specs

Only rumoured news here that stood out for me is PS4 backwards compatibility
c'mon get happy! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
3680 posts
1197 upvotes
Ajax
BernardRyder wrote: GameStop releases some specs on a pre-reg site

Apparent specs

Only rumoured news here that stood out for me is PS4 backwards compatibility
Yeah I think this a bit reaching as there's nothing here we don't already know. Sony is not using Gamestop to make announcements. lol
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9054 posts
1391 upvotes
Victoria
Sony really has been holding out on announcing anything. It makes me thing they might still be malleable and trying to one up MS.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
6944 posts
531 upvotes
Richmond Hill
zod wrote: I usually wait to buy the new console until after a game I want to play comes out on it. Then hopefully there's a bundle that includes the game (and hopefully you can hit up the console on sale).

Unless MS pulls a 180 on making decent exclusives, I'll probably get a ps5 first. The price doesn't seem that far off the ps3 prices. I bought 2nd gen phat (80gb but still had backwards compatibility). With Last of Us II and Ghost of Tshushima coming on on the ps4, I'm not sure if there's something at release I'm going to really want to play?
Same. PC/PS4 best of both worlds. PlayStation has been knocking it out of the park with all its great exclusives. Can't wait for the last of Us 2 and ff7 remake. There has been nothing out on the Microsoft exclusives that I want to play at all. Even if there will be, can just play on the PC.
Nov 27, 2013
685 posts
596 upvotes
jeffyjaixx wrote: Same. PC/PS4 best of both worlds. PlayStation has been knocking it out of the park with all its great exclusives. Can't wait for the last of Us 2 and ff7 remake. There has been nothing out on the Microsoft exclusives that I want to play at all. Even if there will be, can just play on the PC.
Sony has been starting to put some games on PC
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
6944 posts
531 upvotes
Richmond Hill
xboxrrr wrote: Sony has been starting to put some games on PC
Which ones? Even if they come out on PC, they are delayed compared to the PS version. Still haven't seen the heavy hitters like last of Us, uncharted etc hit PC.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
3680 posts
1197 upvotes
Ajax
Well we are into March and still nothing from Sony . . . . .
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7884 posts
1449 upvotes
mrtvgame wrote: Well we are into March and still nothing from Sony . . . . .
November is a long ways away, and everyone and their unborn child, knows that PS5 is coming. There's zero need to release anything at the moment.

I will make 1 bet though.

Consoles will be in short supply because of the Corona Virus shut downs that are going on at the moment.

Manufacturers need to fill pre-existing contracts before starting to make the consoles for Sony and MS, and the parts shortage will impact both.

Any technology that was supposed to be released in MAy or later dates, will suffer, as this labor stoppage will have a domino effect.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
3680 posts
1197 upvotes
Ajax
Buggy166 wrote: November is a long ways away, and everyone and their unborn child, knows that PS5 is coming. There's zero need to release anything at the moment.

I will make 1 bet though.

Consoles will be in short supply because of the Corona Virus shut downs that are going on at the moment.

Manufacturers need to fill pre-existing contracts before starting to make the consoles for Sony and MS, and the parts shortage will impact both.

Any technology that was supposed to be released in MAy or later dates, will suffer, as this labor stoppage will have a domino effect.
I would tend to agree with you on the first point but the fact that M$ has been releasing hard tidbits and shown an actual console an the fact Sony is missing E3 yet again, the onus and pressure is on them. The cockiness of the past (PS3) will not serve them well if they decide to go that route again.

On your second point, if shortages are going to be worse than usual, then both companies would be in their best interests to launch Spring 2021 when there should be some actual worthy software to play on both consoles.