Playstation Classic - Homebrewing

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2019 9:29 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
4764 posts
3534 upvotes
Toronto
So I bought a couple of these OTG splitters from ebay using that $3 USD coupon, so basically free. Hopefully one of them will work and OTG support gets released soon, but not exactly sure.

$1.49 USD - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Angle-USB-2-0-M ... 4211139394

$0.99 USD - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Splitter-1-2-Fe ... 3215204077

I read on reddit that both work on SNES mini, so in theory they should work but probably not the best quality.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
16125 posts
4199 upvotes
I've come to the conclusion that using camera RAM cards with this device is hit or miss or else dangerous to the cards. Have had several now refuse to boot after crashing. Cards read as no errors under windows but can't be reused in the PS Classic after a failure in Autobleem/Retroarch. Isn't research fun?

Also found out that the Trandscend cards can be formatted as FAT32 up to 128 GB while faster cards like the Lexar 633x 64 GB can only be formatted as exFAT. That seems odd. Also, the cards that did work were 16 GB Class 10 (slow) ones. Odd that newer, faster cards don't work at all...
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4334 posts
2238 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
DougO wrote:
May 3rd, 2019 12:35 am
I've come to the conclusion that using camera RAM cards with this device is hit or miss or else dangerous to the cards. Have had several now refuse to boot after crashing. Cards read as no errors under windows but can't be reused in the PS Classic after a failure in Autobleem/Retroarch. Isn't research fun?

Also found out that the Trandscend cards can be formatted as FAT32 up to 128 GB while faster cards like the Lexar 633x 64 GB can only be formatted as exFAT. That seems odd. Also, the cards that did work were 16 GB Class 10 (slow) ones. Odd that newer, faster cards don't work at all...
I've had my flash drive refuse to boot up a couple of times as well. it's a pain in the ass, but a reformat has solved the issue. Keeping a backup folder is a must.

I found the stick gets corrupted when retroarch appears frozen (its not, it just takes forever to get going again) and I've taken the power out. Both times this happened a reformat has solved the issue with the drive.
Feb 2, 2017
354 posts
352 upvotes
Did you guys do the power mod thingy? Cause usually memory cards go into write protect mode to protect the data when there is a catastrophic event like its writing and suddenly fails. Then sometimes the card cannot be written on again, only read. So the low power isn't really good.

The mod is pretty easy, you can see it below, I did this with my bare fingers and I have huge fingers so I think anyone can do it. You just have to make sure you use a reputable brand tape like 3m or something cause the main thing is the quality of the adhesive. If it's a non reputable brand the adhesive with go into meltdown mode during heat and leave sticky residue. The Playstation Classic doesn't get hot though, but you should still use quality brand tape

I also got a grey xbox controller for $40 on amazon, the grey is ok, its not a perfect match to the playstation grey but still better than any other color

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
8985 posts
9158 upvotes
l1197493 wrote:
May 3rd, 2019 11:26 am
Did you guys do the power mod thingy? Cause usually memory cards go into write protect mode to protect the data when there is a catastrophic event like its writing and suddenly fails. Then sometimes the card cannot be written on again, only read. So the low power isn't really good.

The mod is pretty easy, you can see it below, I did this with my bare fingers and I have huge fingers so I think anyone can do it. You just have to make sure you use a reputable brand tape like 3m or something cause the main thing is the quality of the adhesive. If it's a non reputable brand the adhesive with go into meltdown mode during heat and leave sticky residue. The Playstation Classic doesn't get hot though, but you should still use quality brand tape

I also got a grey xbox controller for $40 on amazon, the grey is ok, its not a perfect match to the playstation grey but still better than any other color
Sexy build. I assume you're using the 8bitdo.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
16125 posts
4199 upvotes
l1197493 wrote:
May 3rd, 2019 11:26 am

See, that's the thing. Reformatting the card doesn't affect anything BUT writing to the card can still be done. Transferred 11 GB of downloads from my SHIELD to the same card that had failed (without reformatting it) and it works flawlessly. I checked the card in Windows 10 and it said that there were no errors. But it just won't work again as it did the first time in the PS1 Classic. Very odd...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
8985 posts
9158 upvotes
DougO wrote:
May 3rd, 2019 1:53 pm
See, that's the thing. Reformatting the card doesn't affect anything BUT writing to the card can still be done. Transferred 11 GB of downloads from my SHIELD to the same card that had failed (without reformatting it) and it works flawlessly. I checked the card in Windows 10 and it said that there were no errors. But it just won't work again as it did the first time in the PS1 Classic. Very odd...
Have you performed the very simple USB mod? It seems like a such a no-brainer dead-simple fix.

There are some very attractive 256GB ultra-slim USB 3.1 drives that should work at that point. Enough space for almost the entire official library of multiple consoles.
Feb 2, 2017
354 posts
352 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
May 3rd, 2019 11:44 am
Sexy build. I assume you're using the 8bitdo.
i ordered the adapter from ebay cause it was only $15 so I don't think it will arrive for 2-3 weeks. It was $23 on Amazon so a bit more then I wanted to spend
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
8985 posts
9158 upvotes
l1197493 wrote:
May 3rd, 2019 2:15 pm
i ordered the adapter from ebay cause it was only $15 so I don't think it will arrive for 2-3 weeks. It was $23 on Amazon so a bit more then I wanted to spend
That's a relative steal, would you be comfortable posting the link? Unless it was a one-off sale or bid to win, in which case, you lucked out.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on May 3rd, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Feb 2, 2017
354 posts
352 upvotes
DougO wrote:
May 3rd, 2019 1:53 pm
Did you eject the card and plug it back in to see if the files are there? cause it can still fake write but the files won't be there once you eject it.

Try using the HP disk storage tool to reformat it
https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Ha ... Tool.shtml
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
16125 posts
4199 upvotes
l1197493 wrote:
May 3rd, 2019 2:26 pm
Did you eject the card and plug it back in to see if the files are there? cause it can still fake write but the files won't be there once you eject it.

Try using the HP disk storage tool to reformat it
https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Ha ... Tool.shtml
Yes, files are all there. Copied them to my PC hard drive with no problems, so I can try again later...
Feb 2, 2017
354 posts
352 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
May 3rd, 2019 2:18 pm
That's a relative steal, would you be comfortable posting the link? Unless it was a one-off sale or bid to win, in which case, you lucked out.
It's $18.50 here and I think ebay had some $4 off promo to make it $14.50
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/8Bitdo-Wireless ... 3137635457

You might be better buying it for $23 from Amazon if it doesn't charge tax and you can't wait if you don't have the $4 ebay coupon (the one zentro posted)
Sep 25, 2007
474 posts
170 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
May 4th, 2019 5:09 pm
Ultimate 128GB Playstation Classic Rig (Power Modded)
How to we update this 128Gb version with subsequent releases of autobleem/retroarch?