PC & Video Games

Playstation Now Open Beta starts tomorrow!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2014 12:48 am
Tags:
None
Banned
Mar 20, 2011
1324 posts
822 upvotes
Bowmanville

Playstation Now Open Beta starts tomorrow!

I wasn't in the closed beta, so I'm looking forward to seeing it first hand.

Will we have to really pay to rent the games in the beta, or were those prices just placeholders?

And, more importantly, does anyone care about Playstation Now at this point?
You just proved signatures work!

Now who would go and edit my signature for no valid reason, especially as it never violated any of the posted terms.... :lol:
45 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2210 posts
696 upvotes
Edmonton
[QUOTE]As has been mentioned previously, Sony is looking into offering a flat subscription fee model for its upcoming PlayStation Now game streaming service in addition to the a la carte pricing currently seen in the private beta.

Some games will be offered at a rental price as low as $1.99 - one dollar lower than the current lowest price in the private beta. Buser also mentioned that a "rent-to-buy" solution is also being considered, but that with the service still being in its early days, it's simply too soon to tell.[/QUOTE]

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/07/30/s ... in+twitter

I agree... its strange to pay for games in the beta. I got a few free ones early on, but I haven't paid for any yet. They're all over the map in terms of pricing, but it looks like they're trying to find the sweet spot.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
nowsleepy wrote: And, more importantly, does anyone care about Playstation Now at this point?
I care, I love playing back catalog games. It will really depend on the offerings for me though. I also will not being paying into a per game rental model.
Banned
Mar 20, 2011
1324 posts
822 upvotes
Bowmanville
Redmask wrote: I care, I love playing back catalog games. It will really depend on the offerings for me though. I also will not being paying into a per game rental model.
Yeah, there are a lot of great, older games that I missed, and I'm glad I'll get a chance to try them out. I think streaming will work better for me, because I won't have to wait for the full game to download. Hopefully the prices are nice and low for us "Plussers".
You just proved signatures work!

Now who would go and edit my signature for no valid reason, especially as it never violated any of the posted terms.... :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
7019 posts
1546 upvotes
Mississauga
I've tried it out during closed beta. It actually works very well. Lag is minimal, but it does exist if you play twitch-heavy genres like fps/fighting. Otherwise it would be a perfect solution for games like rpgs.

The real question is pricing and game selection. I don't think any game less than 1 year old on the service and it looks like they will go with a rental model instead of a-la-carte like netflix which I would prefer.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
Yeah I wonder why they are farting around with the subscription thing or if they're just getting resistance from publishers.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2006
2069 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Looking forward to giving this a try but agreed about the pricing model/scheme. They've been pretty quiet about it.
My XBL/PSN: evilenger
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2803 posts
702 upvotes
Scarborough
It's tomorrow :) what time will the app be out?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
Andrew765 wrote: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/07/30/s ... in+twitter

I agree... its strange to pay for games in the beta. I got a few free ones early on, but I haven't paid for any yet. They're all over the map in terms of pricing, but it looks like they're trying to find the sweet spot.
I'm excited to try it, but I find it ridiculous that we're going to pay to play in a beta version of the service. I wish they gave like a free 4-hr rental or something as part of PS+ for this month instead.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
May 6, 2006
2069 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: I'm excited to try it, but I find it ridiculous that we're going to pay to play in a beta version of the service.
Quickly scanning that Sony blog post and comments, looks like there will be a few free games we can try and some titles starting as low as $1.99 for a 4 hour rental.
My XBL/PSN: evilenger
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
I actually don't mind the concept of paying a few bucks for a full game trial since there are often games where I'm on the fence and I often know if I like a game in the first hour. I don't like the other rental prices though and I think it needs some sort of sub fee for access to a back catalog. Sony has enough old first party stuff to make this happen so I think they are just trying to see if this will fly first because its gotta be more profitable if consumers will support it.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2210 posts
696 upvotes
Edmonton
Looks like only PS3 titles at the moment:

[QUOTE]"We are also currently considering measures to offer original PlayStation, PS2 and PS4 titles in the future, but at this time, only PS3 titles are being offered."[/QUOTE]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
Ala Carte rentals and the options to purchase seems like the best, I love the idea of a 1 day rental for 2-3$.

They should throw in a few rentals/month as part of the PS+ program as well.

With PS4 (PS1 & PS2 as well) games wouldn't it ultimately make more sense to have the user download the game and play it locally instead of streaming it?
With the PlayGo stuff people shouldn't have to wait too long for the game to download.
Feb 8, 2011
348 posts
517 upvotes
Calgary
As long as it works smoothly on my internet, and the 7-day option is cheaper ($10-12 or less) than comparable rental at a video store (RIP Blockbuster) then I'd totally do it. No shops in my city have game rental anymore.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10963 posts
791 upvotes
Scarborough
SpicYMchaggis wrote: Ala Carte rentals and the options to purchase seems like the best, I love the idea of a 1 day rental for 2-3$.

They should throw in a few rentals/month as part of the PS+ program as well.

With PS4 (PS1 & PS2 as well) games wouldn't it ultimately make more sense to have the user download the game and play it locally instead of streaming it?
With the PlayGo stuff people shouldn't have to wait too long for the game to download.
One day cheap rentals would be a very good deal for those who can finish the single player in one sitting or you have guests over and need a multiplayer game.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
Once PS1 and 2 games are supported will it be remasters or just a straight port?
Have they included which Bravia TVs it will support? I have a XBR6 from the last decade and I'd be interested to know how a controller will hook up to it sans playstation :P
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Penalty Box
May 12, 2011
3407 posts
487 upvotes
North Vancouver
I would only do this for ps4 games that I am on the fence about...paying $2-$4 is worth it to know if I will like the game
Mar 14, 2008
440 posts
102 upvotes
Netflix type subscription is all I'm interested in. Don't have the time to deal with rentals.