PlayStation VR Impressions?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2019 8:44 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
1837 posts
473 upvotes
Maple
I am a 33 year old father of two and have been gaming for as long as I remember.

PSVR is by far, the biggest and most impressive "gaming" moment for me. I have had essentially every big game/system day one over the past two decades.

For me personally, time is an issue. If I have an hour or two every few days to sit down and have some couch time I want something quick, easy and fun. There are of course remarkable games out there but they all require a long investment of time. and have for a while now, been a chore for me to play and get through due to time.

PSVR has blown my mind. Obviously its much simpler in terms of game content/length but the experiance is second to none. Nothing will impress you more than PSVR with a set of moves and some of the games listed here. Its universal as well. I have friends/family who dont play games at all, but when they try to VR headset their inner child comes out. You are really missing out if you dont get it.

Another way to look at it. You could buy it at around 250 today, play every single recomended game out there and sell it 6 months later at 3/4 of your initial purchase price in a heartbeat. Buy it. you will love it.
May 31, 2018
12 posts
19 upvotes
ottawa
Ok I've had a chance to try out a few VR systems since I posted on this thread and my thoughts as a n00b to VR and console stuff. I tried an Oculus GO. Great to have software, tried a few virtual experiences and a few games. I couldn't get into it because on the various phones we have in the house of various S6 S7 qualities, I just couldn't get focused right and there's that screen door feeling.

I tried a Pansonite(sp?) from Amazon thats like a carboard box thingy. It's cheap, no software other then google play store stuff. Worst VR of course and just not worth it.

Never tried a PC VR yet like rift or Hive?

So in a leap of faith we of course passed on the astro bot/moss bundle at $250 on BF. We got the borderlands/sabre bundle with the motion controllers for $320 which I think is the better deal because the controllers are not cheap separately. We bought a bunch of games because they are on sale now. The whole family loves this system, easy to use and it duel outputs to the TV and surround so we can all watch and it's hilarious, great experience.

Some closing thoughts if you're looking to buy some stuff on sale and after watching several best PSVR game videos.

EB Games has the firewall zero with aim gun for $70 starting dec 26
EB Games has the motion controllers for $30 off Dec 26

PS store has awesome deals.
VR World we got for around 5 bucks
Farpoint for 12ish bucks
arizona sunshine was around 16
rush of blood under 10 bucks
moss is around 25 bucks
astro bot from gamespot USA is 19USD

BestBuy has a bunch of VR games cheap, we got The Persistance for $20 so it was %50 off and it seems to fit into the top 10 lists. They have price chopped other VR titles too and you get the hard disc.

Anyway, my 2 cents.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3914 posts
817 upvotes
I have PSVR and recently got the MR heatset for the PC.

PSVR is pretty good. Responsive. But you need a camera and probably sticks to complete your setup. Not many free games though. Even the paid games are short (few hours play). But the headset is more comfortable than the MR one. One shortcoming to me is you won't be able to use it if your PS4 is broken and not sure if Sony will extend the support to PS5 (as you can see the sticks are not used in PS4 exept VR and the camera as well).

On the other hand. MR or VR headsets for the PC are more flexible. Can be setup on most gaming PCs but you need to invest into your rig before doing so. You can use it when work on your PC (as a big screen) even you don't play games. Basically you don't even need multiple screens. Also it has tons of free demo games/apps offered in Steam.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1790 posts
440 upvotes
Toronto
Bought it for Xmas with the doom bundle love the other little games but disappointed no google earth I really wanted that one does vr have anything similar? Explore places kinda thing
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1062 posts
950 upvotes
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 11:50 pm
Bought it for Xmas with the doom bundle love the other little games but disappointed no google earth I really wanted that one does vr have anything similar? Explore places kinda thing
Did you look in the PSN Store for the non-gaming VR apps they have? There could be something similar there.
c'mon get happy! :cheesygri
Jul 9, 2009
148 posts
89 upvotes
Cornwall
For anyone still on the fence, I feel that it is a must buy, especially at the current sale price. I bought the Skyrim bundle during Days of Play in June ($320 for the full bundle including controllers) and I haven't regretted it at all (although I wish the two current move controller bundles had been available at the time!!).

I was very nervous buying it because I had never had the chance to try it out and I didn't know if I would like it, or if I would even be able to use it (would it make me motion sick, I wear glasses for reading and didn't know if that would cause issues.) But at that price, I took a chance and I have loved every minute.

I've never experience a high end PC VR setup with a room scale setup. I don't doubt that compared to the PSVR, the PC option might be the way to go. But price wise, I already owned a PS4 and I don't have a PC rig so the choice was simple.

For those wondering about the negative points in the PSVR reviews such as screen door effect, a single camera, lower resolution display, etc. They are all true. However, once you start a game, all the negative stuff goes away! The wow factor is just incredible!

If you already own a PS4 and have the funds to get a bundle at the discounted price, go for it.

If you are thinking that you should wait for the PS5 and the PSVR 2, that's fine. Sony hasn't had a great track record for backwards compatibility, so yes, there is a good chance that the PSVR won't work with the PS5. But those updates are likely 2 to 5 years away. The current PSVR is 2 years old. That's 2 years of gaming content that I am enjoying right now. Who knows what will happen in 5 years. I may not care about gaming anymore. I may be financially strapped and won't be able to afford a new setup. I might be blind. But until developers stop supporting the current PSVR, I will be having a great time!
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1790 posts
440 upvotes
Toronto
I’m thinking of selling my vr and getting oculus rift
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10175 posts
500 upvotes
Ok well turns out I am not made for VR. I installed it and playing Borderlands 2 for maybe 10 minutes I was nauseous for hours... then I tried a non-VR game for immersion after I felt better and was nauseous all evening!

Looks like I'm going to be selling mine :(
Dec 1, 2011
243 posts
34 upvotes
I recently got vr as well. I can't make it through 10 minutes of Borderlands without getting extremely nauseous.

Other games like Beat Saber, Astro Boy, Toy Wars I am completely fine.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1062 posts
950 upvotes
For Borderlands VR owners: see if there's a headbob setting or something similar, and if there is turn it off. I know people who couldn't play certain games in non-VR unless they turned that off. Dying Light was one I remember, a friend of mine didn't want to play it in MP because of the bobbing movement. Once they turned it off they were fine.
The small up and down movement your body makes in some of these games when walking can upset some people. I'd assume it would be worse in VR.
c'mon get happy! :cheesygri
Jul 11, 2018
34 posts
108 upvotes
Feneant wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 6:40 am
Ok well turns out I am not made for VR. I installed it and playing Borderlands 2 for maybe 10 minutes I was nauseous for hours... then I tried a non-VR game for immersion after I felt better and was nauseous all evening!

Looks like I'm going to be selling mine :(
For a new VR users it can take some time before you grow your "legs" and can play a game such as BL2. Before selling the VR set you should really try to start with easier experiences.
I highly recommend trying some demos in Demo disk 1 and disk 2.
You can start with Job Simulator, VR worlds (especially ocean descent), Thumper, Until dawn: rush of blood and Moss.

If you're good with these games you can try more advanced options where you're seated (racing or space games). Then for walking games its best to start walking slowly (Skyrim or Solus are perfect for that), best doing standing up and with a fan directed right at you (this actually really helps).
Also it's very important to calibrate the VR settings because they can really effect the level of motion sickness. Most important are the IPD and the tracking of the camera (try to play in a dark room, since light can really hurt its tracking).

When I bought my PSVR in last February I was also nauseous every time after playing 10-20 minutes. In some games like Driveclub it took me less than a minute to feel sick for hours.
But after 2-3 weeks I was able to play games like Skyrim for hours straight. And while its not for everyday use (at least for me), PSVR brought me some of my best gaming experiences.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10175 posts
500 upvotes
I ended up selling it last night- was making me nauseous just thinking about using it! What I found insane is that I tried Zombie Army, which is not even VR but it still made me sick so maybe I wasn't meant for this.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3243 posts
1101 upvotes
Feneant wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 6:25 am
I ended up selling it last night- was making me nauseous just thinking about using it! What I found insane is that I tried Zombie Army, which is not even VR but it still made me sick so maybe I wasn't meant for this.
That's understandable. Some people really are not made for VR. It's weird, I can play any FPS game, was 100% comfortable in my first VR experience (Microsoft Store) and can play Wipeout Omega VR for hours. Yet, I was motion sick in the first hour of God of War in 4k due to the low frame rate and high motion blur.
Dec 14, 2006
539 posts
41 upvotes
I got a PSVR for Christmas this year. Up until then I had only tried the Vive. I find the resolution not quite as good as the Vive but overall it's a very impressive experience. I got the Moss/Astrobot bundle. I didn't really know what to expect from them but have found that Atrobot is absolutely a must have for any owner. I can't believe how much fun it is. Next on my list to pick up is Firewall Zero Hour but I'm not too thrilled with the $100 price point. Might try to grab it tomorrow with the extra trade in at EB.

I just tried Beat Saber last night which is another huge recommendation. I've played a few minutes of a bunch of other games but always come back to Astrobot. I also finally tried the Persistence and started to feel a little queasy after 20 minutes. Guess I haven't fully grown my VR legs yet or maybe I need to try a different control setup.

If anyone doesn't own the Move controllers and is a little put off by the $130 price tag, I got a set of PS3 Move controllers off eBay for $70. Only difference is the charging port is mini USB as opposed to micro USB.
Jul 11, 2018
34 posts
108 upvotes
Deans21 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 2:54 pm
I got a PSVR for Christmas this year. Up until then I had only tried the Vive. I find the resolution not quite as good as the Vive but overall it's a very impressive experience. I got the Moss/Astrobot bundle. I didn't really know what to expect from them but have found that Atrobot is absolutely a must have for any owner. I can't believe how much fun it is. Next on my list to pick up is Firewall Zero Hour but I'm not too thrilled with the $100 price point. Might try to grab it tomorrow with the extra trade in at EB.

I just tried Beat Saber last night which is another huge recommendation. I've played a few minutes of a bunch of other games but always come back to Astrobot. I also finally tried the Persistence and started to feel a little queasy after 20 minutes. Guess I haven't fully grown my VR legs yet or maybe I need to try a different control setup.

If anyone doesn't own the Move controllers and is a little put off by the $130 price tag, I got a set of PS3 Move controllers off eBay for $70. Only difference is the charging port is mini USB as opposed to micro USB.
I can also highly recommend Skyrim (need some legs though), Superhot, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood and Wipeout. The last two are on sale in PSN for 6$ and 9$ which is a steal.
And the aim controller price point is also putting me off from buying one. Especially since it's only good for only 4-5 games. I think it was on sale a few times for 70$ though