PC & Video Games

Playstation3 Jailbreak/Homebrew

Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
6877 posts
1032 upvotes
Calgary
mikka1989 wrote: how big are ps3 games if you back them up on the usb HD?
metal gear4 is the biggest at around 50 gb...lots of games are 10-15gb

thank god for no cap unlimited internet
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10963 posts
791 upvotes
Scarborough
mikka1989 wrote: how big are ps3 games if you back them up on the usb HD?
it depends. some games are really small 5gb or as big as 25gb to potentially 50gb in the future. so its a pain to download and easier to "backup'.
dmdsoftware2 wrote: It's real and it's about 169 USD.

Going to wait for a clone maybe. $169 is expensive for something that doesn't have proven longevity (may only last a month or less if Sony patches their system properly).

Yes Yes, the dongle has an updatable firmware, but no update will work if Sony patches all the holes.

Then again, sony doesn't have a good track history of patching their hardware exploits (look at Pandora's battery for PSP, they had to modify the hardware to block it).
yeah, 169 = overpriced because if its even killed within 6 months, you have a dead usb stick. Sony actually has a decent track record with the PS3 itself. They have learned from the mistakes in the PSP and thats why the PS3 has maybe only been hacked at this point (almost 4 years since release). The 360 and Wii were hacked pretty quickly.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
6877 posts
1032 upvotes
Calgary
this will be hard for sony to patch...it activates *before* the firmware even loads

reading on neogaf its a cloned usb key that all repair centres use to repair broken ps3's...really surprised it wasnt leaked before this (like pandora battery)
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2004
1553 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
$169 USB drive? Does that mean it can be replicated easily? I guess ppl can just image it and let it "loose".
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
6877 posts
1032 upvotes
Calgary
hOrnizuka wrote: $169 USB drive? Does that mean it can be replicated easily? I guess ppl can just image it and let it "loose".
probably eventually but its not just a usb drive...there is some custom hardware chips inside too
May 5, 2010
41 posts
i dont like this whole thing!

more kiddies are coming to the ps3...

hopefully sony will kill this...
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18046 posts
980 upvotes
Kills the online most likely, pretty much a deal killer for me, especially at 169 bucks. Plus its easier for me to walk to the store and buy teh game than wait 2+ days for it to download.

I suspect a patch is coming that will stop this and sony will start banning consoles.
Mar 15, 2008
557 posts
132 upvotes
Montreal
Poor Sony, removing features didn't prevent this.

So...how 'bout bringing back the other OS feature now, geniuses?
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16039 posts
400 upvotes
losing the privilege of going online sucks, but I see people getting a 2nd ps3 just for it.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
260 upvotes
w4rrior wrote: well psx-scene and both ozmod are confirming its real. pretty bold statement, but these guys are reliable when it comes to these things so i guess we finally have a way to backup ps3 games.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64935

official reseller list expected within 48 hours. :-0

ERROR CODE: 403

Ok, I really sorry everyone is seeing this 403 page instead!

But sadly to say we been "slashdot'ed" and "engadget'ed"!

And even "google news" has ontop of the list!

That what happens when a confirmed working PS3 modchip is finally out!

I am moving the site to a new $4,000 per month server, with 2.5terabytes of HDD, two 12-core CPU's, and 32gigs of RAM, with our own direct pipe to the 'net, hopefully that will be enough to handle the 100,000 users online at once now! - If not, I going to borrow some money from Google!

-=(Gary from OPA)=-

Just browse our front page for now: PSX-SCENE
too busy i guess?
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18046 posts
980 upvotes
dragon_drift wrote: losing the privilege of going online sucks, but I see people getting a 2nd ps3 just for it.
I guess for some of the better single player games it could be ok. But for some one with ps+ like me id rather just keep buying my games.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10602 posts
687 upvotes
Mississauga
markj wrote: probably eventually but its not just a usb drive...there is some custom hardware chips inside too
People are just guessing at this stage what is in it. It may likely turn out to be a glorified USB key. They are suggesting on PS3 News that a few do-it-yourself may be possible.
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24045 posts
4140 upvotes
Toronto
I still haven't updated my PS3 to the new versions that disables OtherOS functionality. Maybe now I can?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
7019 posts
1546 upvotes
Mississauga
Just read this off engadget, sony must be really ****ed now.

Yea guys, I wouldn't recommend putting any money on this thing. It's just a USB key and I'm sure somebody will just release a tutorial on how to make your own.

I'm sure they'll come up with a firmware update that will patch this. I wouldn't be too worried about it people using backupped games online since PSN forces a firmware update if you want to play an game.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
260 upvotes
http://www.ps3hax.net/2010/08/ps-jailbr ... l-or-fake/
PS Jailbreak is a USB plug and play solution that installs in seconds, keeping your valid warranty seal in tact.

Easy to use installer and GUI takes you step by step.

Compatible with all production models FAT and SLIM. Supports all regions: USA, ***, PAL and KOREA

PS Jailbreak disables forced software updates and will never brick your console.

Supports all games (it does not allow backups of bluray movies , dvd movies , or past consoles games)

Backup games to your internal hard drive or external hard drive through USB, and boot directly off GUI. Eliminating the need for expensive blueray burners and costly blank media.

Play backups off your hard drives 2x as fast as off the blueray drive. This eliminates lags and glitches to provide you with smoother game play.

Open up your console to a new generation of homebrew applications. Load homebrew apps/games off any USB hard drive/flash drive.

Fully updatable with new features/updates by connecting PS Jailbreak to any computers USB port.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2005
2134 posts
191 upvotes
Canada
dmdsoftware2 wrote: It's real and it's about 169 USD.

Going to wait for a clone maybe. $169 is expensive for something that doesn't have proven longevity (may only last a month or less if Sony patches their system properly).

Yes Yes, the dongle has an updatable firmware, but no update will work if Sony patches all the holes.

Then again, sony doesn't have a good track history of patching their hardware exploits (look at Pandora's battery for PSP, they had to modify the hardware to block it).
It shows $169 on the OzModChip site....but then again that is Australian currency....what is the exchange rate in Canadian?....about $150 give or take....damn...still expensive....lol
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
7019 posts
1546 upvotes
Mississauga
Yep, patience is virtue and if it proves to be legit it'll probably be dirt cheap/code released for free before the end of the year.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
2963 posts
388 upvotes
am I the only person here that DO NOT want this to happen?

PS3 is the only system yet still "virgin" and I want it to be kept that way.
Look here

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)