Careers

Please anybody is this a scam job offer??????

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2019 1:46 pm
[OP]
Jan 28, 2019
45 posts
9 upvotes

Please anybody is this a scam job offer??????

I feel silly already, not sure if this is real. I am copying the email I received today from the guy:

Hello,

I apologize for the delay; I received information with the delivery details of the funds mailed to you by my client. You will receive the funds to purchase the remaining equipment needed to start up this morning via FedEx courier service. I decided to order a new HP notebook and a 4-1 printer for my assignment, and as confirmed from office depot, it will be delivered in three to five working days excluding the weekend. I chose the best that will fit into what I will need it for and which will give the desired production and last longer. I cant afford to let go of this equipment when I saw the right configuration and model on there.
The funds that were mailed by my client will be delivered via FedEx courier service today, and this is the tracking number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx which you can confirm the status of delivery via www.fedex.com/ca.
Kindly take note that I always keep the record of all my assignment and every document, no matter how small it could be. You will have to deposit the cheque in your account and get back to me with a scanned copy or snapshot of the deposit slip for my record purpose. Deduct your first-week pay (CAN$680) and my budget for the remaining equipment is CAN$100 as I already ordered for a new laptop, printer, scanner, copier, and fax. The remaining balance of $1990 will be used to book for a photo exhibition for me which I need to confirm if I can still book the event or not. It is coming up in Dallas,Texas, but if it has been filled, you will have to get me booked for another one in Cebu, Philippines. Both events start the same day but the Dallas will be preferred to the Cebu for some professional reasons,and it's coming up on Monday, June 24th,2019 and I need to book the event swiftly because there is limited space available also in the Philippines. I will have to be there with you on Friday night or Saturday morning (June 21st or 22nd)to have a face to face conversation and to give you some materials needed to accomplish my assignment (soft copies and hard copies). I will be using the two days to meet a Realtor and inspect some studios, staying at a Bread and Breakfast till Sunday evening or Monday Morning before leaving for the Dallas,Texas event or the Philippines.I will get back to you on which of the event I decided and also on how to go about booking it.

Moreover, Kindly email me a clean copy of the deposit receipt after you deposit the cheque. And I want you to get stationery like printing paper, glue, Pens, notebooks, stapler, business envelopes, paperclips, highlighter and buy 10 regular stamps at the post office to mail out 10 letters on Friday morning. I will send you an email containing the Notification memo that you will send to the 10 clients, including the names of my clients and their address.

Best Regards,
xxxxx

The guy and company exist as of google but he could use it. he says I applied via indeed but I couldnt find the original job offer.
Anyways. He says the office equipment is going to be delivered.
The cheque will be on hold for at least 5 business days right? I will not book anything before it clears.
We have never met, he just emailed allot of questions and discussed the job.
Should I even deposit the cheque?
thank you!!!!
18 replies
Sep 26, 2016
49 posts
21 upvotes
Longueuil, QC
Its a scam, I read the similar story, dont remember exactly where, but here is how it went: the man received the cheque, deposit it, somehow the bank let the cheque through. He bought the stuff from that money, then the scammer asked him to send him back the remaining fund and he did. After a while, the bank found out the cheque is not valid, therefore the victim need to payback the bank for the money he used and sent "back" to the scammer
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2034 posts
796 upvotes
Seriously?

What honestly would make you think this is a genuine employment offer?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
1679 posts
821 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 11:25 am
Seriously?

What honestly would make you think this is a genuine employment offer?
Not everyone has same knowledge, experience, understanding, language skills, etc. At least he's asking to make sure rather than falling for it. Have a little bit of grace and understanding for those who don't think like you do.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2290 posts
453 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
yeah koodo's to you for you due diligence to question this job, i was faced with many of these when i was looking for a job and most were scams, they stole my resume and were trying to use my personal information to gain access to some of my bank accounts and other online accounts of mine, its not worth it in my humble opinion, always opt for a phone interview or in person interview, ask for a phone number to call for help or an address as a backup. if they can not provide, run the hell away
Hi
Feb 20, 2018
21 posts
17 upvotes
If this is not a troll or joke then no offense but you really need to give your head a shake.
Red flags all over, don't even know where to start.
1. Extremely poor language
2. Involves depositing money
3. You don't recall applying for the job

..... The list goes on.

Unless you're 15 you should be able to recognize this as a scam.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4519 posts
3599 upvotes
Sternchen30890 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 11:00 am
I feel silly already, not sure if this is real. I am copying the email I received today from the guy:

Hello,

I apologize for the delay; I received information with the delivery details of the funds mailed to you by my client. You will receive the funds to purchase the remaining equipment needed to start up this morning via FedEx courier service. I decided to order a new HP notebook and a 4-1 printer for my assignment, and as confirmed from office depot, it will be delivered in three to five working days excluding the weekend. I chose the best that will fit into what I will need it for and which will give the desired production and last longer. I cant afford to let go of this equipment when I saw the right configuration and model on there.
The funds that were mailed by my client will be delivered via FedEx courier service today, and this is the tracking number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx which you can confirm the status of delivery via www.fedex.com/ca.
Kindly take note that I always keep the record of all my assignment and every document, no matter how small it could be. You will have to deposit the cheque in your account and get back to me with a scanned copy or snapshot of the deposit slip for my record purpose. Deduct your first-week pay (CAN$680) and my budget for the remaining equipment is CAN$100 as I already ordered for a new laptop, printer, scanner, copier, and fax. The remaining balance of $1990 will be used to book for a photo exhibition for me which I need to confirm if I can still book the event or not. It is coming up in Dallas,Texas, but if it has been filled, you will have to get me booked for another one in Cebu, Philippines. Both events start the same day but the Dallas will be preferred to the Cebu for some professional reasons,and it's coming up on Monday, June 24th,2019 and I need to book the event swiftly because there is limited space available also in the Philippines. I will have to be there with you on Friday night or Saturday morning (June 21st or 22nd)to have a face to face conversation and to give you some materials needed to accomplish my assignment (soft copies and hard copies). I will be using the two days to meet a Realtor and inspect some studios, staying at a Bread and Breakfast till Sunday evening or Monday Morning before leaving for the Dallas,Texas event or the Philippines.I will get back to you on which of the event I decided and also on how to go about booking it.

Moreover, Kindly email me a clean copy of the deposit receipt after you deposit the cheque. And I want you to get stationery like printing paper, glue, Pens, notebooks, stapler, business envelopes, paperclips, highlighter and buy 10 regular stamps at the post office to mail out 10 letters on Friday morning. I will send you an email containing the Notification memo that you will send to the 10 clients, including the names of my clients and their address.

Best Regards,
xxxxx

The guy and company exist as of google but he could use it. he says I applied via indeed but I couldnt find the original job offer.
Anyways. He says the office equipment is going to be delivered.
The cheque will be on hold for at least 5 business days right? I will not book anything before it clears.
We have never met, he just emailed allot of questions and discussed the job.
Should I even deposit the cheque?
thank you!!!!
Hold period means nothing at all. Fraudsters can kite cheques for WEEKS before the banks figure it out.

The bank can come after you even if you've already spent the money, weeks or months after the fact.

I would not even deposit the cheque. If so inclined, bring the cheque to the bank and ask to speak to a manager, let them know you think you might be the target of a scam.
[OP]
Jan 28, 2019
45 posts
9 upvotes
LadyBug999 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 12:12 pm
If this is not a troll or joke then no offense but you really need to give your head a shake.
Red flags all over, don't even know where to start.
1. Extremely poor language
2. Involves depositing money
3. You don't recall applying for the job

..... The list goes on.

Unless you're 15 you should be able to recognize this as a scam.
your right, thanks
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2314 posts
880 upvotes
Edmonton
sunmagic wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 11:17 am
Its a scam, I read the similar story, dont remember exactly where, but here is how it went: the man received the cheque, deposit it, somehow the bank let the cheque through. He bought the stuff from that money, then the scammer asked him to send him back the remaining fund and he did. After a while, the bank found out the cheque is not valid, therefore the victim need to payback the bank for the money he used and sent "back" to the scammer
So why not play scam the scammer? Deposit the cheque and walk away, no further contact.
[OP]
Jan 28, 2019
45 posts
9 upvotes
starchoice wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 12:58 pm
So why not play scam the scammer? Deposit the cheque and walk away, no further contact.
really a good idea?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4519 posts
3599 upvotes
starchoice wrote:
Sternchen30890 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 1:16 pm
really a good idea?
Depends how the fraudsters have set up the scam

Best case, the cheque never bounces, but the funds likely came from another scam victim.

Worst case (most likely), the cheque is fraudulent, and your account gets flagged/blocked/frozen until your bank completes the fraud investigation...
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1448 posts
1036 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
starchoice wrote:
superfresh89 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 1:22 pm
Depends how the fraudsters have set up the scam

Best case, the cheque never bounces, but the funds likely came from another scam victim.

Worst case (most likely), the cheque is fraudulent, and your account gets flagged/blocked/frozen until your bank completes the fraud investigation...
And this is why you don't deposit suspicious cheques. If you really wanted to play the scammer, tell them you're doing everything exactly as instructed, but don't actually do anything. Then feign ignorance when nothing happens on their end.
Dec 24, 2007
778 posts
697 upvotes
BC
Sternchen30890 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 1:16 pm
really a good idea?
Are you that desperate for money?? The cheque will bounce...guaranteed, there is no such thing as Free and Easy Money from a scammer.
The bank will recoup the money from your account even weeks after they released the HOLD.

Anything that "sounds too good to be true" that comes in from an unknown email, is "too good to be true". And there is also no Nigerian prince that needs your help to move money out of his country. Nor is there any Secret Shoppers for Walmart, Best Buy, or any other large retailer.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1591 posts
901 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
This is a double scam:

1 - to have you deposit a cheque, send the specified amount and then the cheque bounces for whatever reason.

2 - Part two is to draw you into the scam as an active participant in a form of "Pyramid Scheme", as noted in the email itself:

"Moreover, Kindly email me a clean copy of the deposit receipt after you deposit the cheque. And I want you to get stationery like printing paper, glue, Pens, notebooks, stapler, business envelopes, paperclips, highlighter and buy 10 regular stamps at the post office to mail out 10 letters on Friday morning. I will send you an email containing the Notification memo that you will send to the 10 clients, including the names of my clients and their address."
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1001 posts
278 upvotes
Toronto
scam, stay away, my wife has a friend who fell victim to this scam...
They are trying to exploit people who are desperately trying to get a job and will believe almost anything..