• Jul 14th, 2019 2:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17380 posts
1666 upvotes
Space for rent

Please BoyCott Agincourt WalMart

Ever since they instituted their bag check, it's been a nightmare. This morning I popped in to get a few items and a queue started to form. I used the self check out and was done well under 1 minute only to spend another 1-2 minutes behind a queue of 8 people before me had their bags looked through by an utterly inept security guard who didn't look like they could count up to 10 if their life depended on it. They pretended to look astute looking through bags like Inspector Gadget and just needlessly prolonged the ordeal.
32 replies
Apr 19, 2017
689 posts
516 upvotes
Ok I will.
RFD for life.
AirBnB, CucuCovers, Dipp, DROP, Foodora, Goodfood, GreatCanadianRebates, LendingLoop, Mintos, PayMi, PayTM, Ritual, SkiptheDishes, Stack, Swagbucks, Tangerine, TransferWise, Uber, Wealthsimple, Wealthsimple Trade
Dec 9, 2012
12 posts
11 upvotes
Why do you stop? Did you agree to a terms of service allowing a bag check? It is a courtesy to allow them to look through YOUR belongings. If they have an issue, it's not your problem.

Even the groceries just purchased are your property, not Walmarts.
Last edited by MyNameIsDennis on Jul 11th, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 18, 2014
212 posts
118 upvotes
since when did Walmart start checking bags? grocery bags,I understand but they can't ask you to open your purse and if they do, they better find something in there that you didn't pay for or else all hell is going to break loose.

Last month while at Walmart the front end person asked the wrong black woman to open her purse, she went berserk, lets just say, the 3 gentlemen (front end guy and 2 other Walmart employees) let her pass by without opening her purse.
Nov 18, 2017
187 posts
51 upvotes
bobby621 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 2:20 pm
since when did Walmart start checking bags? grocery bags,I understand but they can't ask you to open your purse and if they do, they better find something in there that you didn't pay for or else all hell is going to break loose.

Last month while at Walmart the front end person asked the wrong black woman to open her purse, she went berserk, lets just say, the 3 gentlemen (front end guy and 2 other Walmart employees) let her pass by without opening her purse.
It amazes me how many stores make themselves liable to civil lawsuits
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3785 posts
966 upvotes
GTA
I noticed the other day the Walmart at High Tech Rd. in Richmond Hill was doing this as well. Just a single security guard in uniform doing bag and receipt checks.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21617 posts
7522 upvotes
Done. But I was already boycotting Walmart for unrelated reasons.
DougMckenzie wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 2:32 pm
It amazes me how many stores make themselves liable to civil lawsuits
We've had this argument in another thread.
You agreed to being searched by being on the premise. You can revoke this at any time, but they can revoke your request for access.
Nov 18, 2017
187 posts
51 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 2:46 pm
Done. But I was already boycotting Walmart for unrelated reasons.

We've had this argument in another thread.
You agreed to being searched by being on the premise. You can revoke this at any time, but they can revoke your request for access.
No i mean about racial profiling related to bobby621's post. That person could easily have went to the human rights tribunal. It is one thing to search all bags/ backpacks. It is another thing to selectively search by profiling by race/sex/and now gender.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8764 posts
2156 upvotes
London
Supercooled wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 2:03 pm
Ever since they instituted their bag check, it's been a nightmare. This morning I popped in to get a few items and a queue started to form. I used the self check out and was done well under 1 minute only to spend another 1-2 minutes behind a queue of 8 people before me had their bags looked through by an utterly inept security guard who didn't look like they could count up to 10 if their life depended on it. They pretended to look astute looking through bags like Inspector Gadget and just needlessly prolonged the ordeal.
It's sounds like you need to fight the power
fight the power
Power to the people no delay
Make everybody see
In order to fight the powers that be
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1050 posts
745 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
bobby621 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 2:20 pm

AFAIK they always did, well for me if the greeter was there with the guard they would ask for my receipt. The problem arises when you carry your own backpack to shop or those reusable bags, there has been way to many cases of people coming in with their own bags to steal stuff because they think the same as you guys, "no one should check that bag, or it's my privacy" etc.. I've seen it again and again, people come in with those reusable bags with carts and pretend they are shopping but actually putting stuff in there and putting it at the bottom of the card and covering it etc..

If this is the case, I think you SHOULD have your reusable bags always checked for theft or backpack if you are using those to shop.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Dec 9, 2012
12 posts
11 upvotes
I have no problem with checking receipts/bags at the door if done in a professional manner. In the OP's case, the store clearly lacked resources to inspect efficiently. A retail store is there to sell products, if they start banning customers who refuse to allow checks, they lose financially from loss of sales or any extra legal costs. The loss prevention staff could quickly find themselves in a new vocation if pursued too vigorously. When Walmart made the change to cashless self checkouts, I didn't read the sign before using it. When it came time to pay, all I had was cash, no plastic, so I just left the goods and departed. I am not a trained monkey jumping through hoops to give you my money. If any difficulties at the self checkouts, I don't hesitate to leave the goods and go if there is not prompt assistance. There is no reason to be impolite to the employees making minimum wage for doing there job, escalate it up the chain if you're really ticked off. Does everybody really stop when an RFID tag sets off the door alarms when exiting? I don't. I let the employee come after me, I don't go back to the counter. Issues will never get resolved if the staff doesn't have to make extra effort. The older I get, the less I suffer fools, or poor (from my POV ) business practices.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17380 posts
1666 upvotes
Space for rent
It seems they are taking one step forward and two steps back with This receipt check AND bag check. Dufferin mall Walmart doesn’t seem to do it as often. The greeter sees me enough he doesn’t really check my receipt only when I have a large item that isn’t in a bag. Agincourt has been doing receipt and bag check just recently where it used to be I’d cash out and walk out. I don’t want to spend 1-2 minutes of my time waiting in line like an airport. The the hell do they think they are? Do they think we are smuggling golf bars out? Next time I’m just going to walk pass and if they object I’ll let them check but under no circumstances am I going to waste my fvxking time standing there like I’m at a border crossing. **** that shit!
Jun 20, 2009
939 posts
247 upvotes
Edmonton
Oh wow, I was visiting family just two months ago and shopped there. I think I even had a backpack because we just finished sightseeing at like 9:30 pm. I would've been pissed. Not that I plan to visit that neighbourhood again, but note taken.

I really hate no-backpack policies and I purposely try not to shop when I have my backpack with me. Sometimes I can't help it. I am a musician and will generally not leave my instruments in the car (for obvious theft and also temperature extremes reasons). Nor would I leave my bag at like the front counter.

Receipt checks are pretty annoying too and we always encounter that at Walmart and Costco.
Dec 9, 2012
12 posts
11 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 2:14 am
It seems they are taking one step forward and two steps back with This receipt check AND bag check. Dufferin mall Walmart doesn’t seem to do it as often. The greeter sees me enough he doesn’t really check my receipt only when I have a large item that isn’t in a bag. Agincourt has been doing receipt and bag check just recently where it used to be I’d cash out and walk out. I don’t want to spend 1-2 minutes of my time waiting in line like an airport. The the hell do they think they are? Do they think we are smuggling golf bars out? Next time I’m just going to walk pass and if they object I’ll let them check but under no circumstances am I going to waste my fvxking time standing there like I’m at a border crossing. **** that shit!
Try not to be confrontational, they are being paid minimum wage to do a crap job. If you have a lengthy wait to get a bag checked, just say "I'm gong outside to have a smoke, and will wait for them there, when they have more time". Smile and nod to anything they say. If they try to escalate it by threatening to call the police , just agree that would be a great idea, don't give any personal info until they show up (the police, not private security). All interaction should be done publicly (they really hate that), There is always a risk of being denied access in the future, but Walmart doesn't make money that way, it only costs them, a very poor business practice. Enjoy the moment, don't let things get you upset. It is not a crime.

Costco membership terms and conditions require that you submit to bag/receipt check or the membership can be revoked.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)