Please BoyCott Agincourt WalMart

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2019 2:39 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1282 posts
441 upvotes
Narkham
I've noticed this at the Markville mall Walmart too. They funnel people into only one set of doors and have a guard there now checking receipts...
RFD is the reason I live in poverty.
Mar 6, 2015
275 posts
195 upvotes
Quebec, QC
kreisleriana wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 3:59 am

I really hate no-backpack policies and I purposely try not to shop when I have my backpack with me. Sometimes I can't help it. I am a musician and will generally not leave my instruments in the car (for obvious theft and also temperature extremes reasons). Nor would I leave my bag at like the front counter.
No backpack policies? Is that common? I shop on foot or by bike most of the time, so I usually have a backpack with me and it has been months or years since the last time anyone asked to look in my bag or leave it at the counter. Is my backpack (that stays zipped up and on my back while shopping) really any more of a shoplifting risk that those huge purses many women have?
Dec 29, 2012
798 posts
251 upvotes
Scarborough
I carry a backpack and have never been checked - it's because I always get the Walmart bags so they know I've gone through the till. For 10c, it's enough for my trash for the week. They should check bags when you enter - in case some shooter is carrying a weapon!
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
2092 posts
1548 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
MyNameIsDennis wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 4:13 am
Try not to be confrontational, they are being paid minimum wage to do a crap job. If you have a lengthy wait to get a bag checked, just say "I'm gong outside to have a smoke, and will wait for them there, when they have more time". Smile and nod to anything they say. If they try to escalate it by threatening to call the police , just agree that would be a great idea, don't give any personal info until they show up (the police, not private security). All interaction should be done publicly (they really hate that), There is always a risk of being denied access in the future, but Walmart doesn't make money that way, it only costs them, a very poor business practice. Enjoy the moment, don't let things get you upset. It is not a crime.

Costco membership terms and conditions require that you submit to bag/receipt check or the membership can be revoked.
I'm pretty sure the bag check people are third-party security (G4S or Garda, I can't remember) that certainly aren't being paid minimum wage.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8783 posts
2185 upvotes
London
yeahwhat wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 10:43 am
No backpack policies? Is that common?
Pretty common around here, esp anywhere meth-fueled shoplifting is problem.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8513 posts
4734 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
thr333zy wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 10:19 am
I've noticed this at the Markville mall Walmart too. They funnel people into only one set of doors and have a guard there now checking receipts...
If they try this BS on me, they'll have something coming, that's for sure.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1635 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto
bobby621 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 2:20 pm
since when did Walmart start checking bags? grocery bags,I understand but they can't ask you to open your purse and if they do, they better find something in there that you didn't pay for or else all hell is going to break loose.

Last month while at Walmart the front end person asked the wrong black woman to open her purse, she went berserk, lets just say, the 3 gentlemen (front end guy and 2 other Walmart employees) let her pass by without opening her purse.
With her reaction, that honestly just sounds like a guilty person who got away with stealing by causing a stink.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1322 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: Zotac RTX 2080 Super RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 48GB DDR4-2666 Case: CM Storm Trooper SSD: 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 + NVMe 970 Pro 512GB Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Monitor: Dell P2715Q
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1723 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
costco has been doing this since the beginning and its line up is even longer than walmart's
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4481 posts
556 upvotes
Ottawa
chemicalxv wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 11:03 am
I'm pretty sure the bag check people are third-party security (G4S or Garda, I can't remember) that certainly aren't being paid minimum wage.
Actually, they likely are being paid minimum wage.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1916 posts
429 upvotes
Ontario
MyNameIsDennis wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 2:11 pm
Why do you stop? Did you agree to a terms of service allowing a bag check? It is a courtesy to allow them to look through YOUR belongings. If they have an issue, it's not your problem.

Even the groceries just purchased are your property, not Walmarts.
This not true. If they have a sign up and you enter you automatically consent to the search.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4758 posts
621 upvotes
Markham
Hasn't Costco been doing this long time?
Dec 9, 2012
12 posts
11 upvotes
Permission for a search may be revoked by the owner at any time. There may be consequences , such as being denied entrance at a public venue due to security concerns, or future access to a store. The bag check itself is completely voluntary, same as stopping when the detectors go off at the store exits.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
2144 posts
850 upvotes
SW Ontario
they do need to tread carefully though - they need ME (ie. customers) more than I need them - they're not the only store in town
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14430 posts
2638 upvotes
Toronto
Did I miss a boycott of the Walmart at Cederbrae mall? That location recently closed down.