Site Comments & Suggestions

Please bring back the -Moved- thread tag.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2016 5:57 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 18, 2006
860 posts
259 upvotes

Please bring back the -Moved- thread tag.

Problem - recently active (sometimes minutes before mod action) threads from hot deals get yanked out and thrown into another forum like Expired Deals.

There's no breadcrumb trail to where the thread is now - no indication to users who were or might still be interested in it's information that it exists or WHERE it exists.

Please bring back the -Moved- thread tags that kept the link to the thread active in the board list.

This is a compromise between unwanted threads being in a place they may (no longer) belong, and keeping them around.

The DELETE function already removes a thread entirely, for threads that should have never been there, like dupes. Having -moved- tags certainly made for a mess for every time there was a repost.

HOWEVER, they are very helpful for pointing users to where threads are that were up till very recently, good info.

I shouldn't even have to point out that lots of times even though a deal is 'officially' expired, or supposed to be, that there are still ways to take advantage of it and / or get the deal. Hiding this valuable info away entirely in expired is a disservice then.

I want to confirm and be clear to doubters then that once the thread is moved, that even if the link and -moved- tag remains, it can only move DOWN the thread list, and not be bumped up higher again.

So old / expired info will still be marked as such, no confusion there, but it will die a natural death as info on new deals replaces it, and latecomers and people wanting to continue the conversation on it, can still easily locate it.
30 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10637 posts
17201 upvotes
Scarborough
We usually leave a trail when a thread is moved for reasons including those which you've mentioned. How long the trail is left for varies and it depends on the thread/reason for the move. I am looking into possibly adding a forum for "recently expired" deals to go (which ideally would be in a more visible spot than the expired deals forum) since those threads are more likely to still have ongoing discussions about them but at the same time we don't want them cluttering up Hot Deals.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
May 18, 2006
860 posts
259 upvotes
This is still an issue. There was a deal up in hot deals, someone moved it to expired within the past few hours and there's no indication it ever existed in Hot Deals. Please remedy.
Jul 5, 2004
23439 posts
2985 upvotes
Deusfaux wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2014 1:20 pm
This is still an issue. There was a deal up in hot deals, someone moved it to expired within the past few hours and there's no indication it ever existed in Hot Deals. Please remedy.
That sounds like a glitch. The site automatically leaves a record, but it's up to the mods to determine how long the trail stays. In hot deals, a moved that tag will usually fall off the first page within an hour or even less. 4-6 hours and it will often be 5+ pages deep. Is it possible the tag is just buried? Which thread are you referring to?
[OP]
May 18, 2006
860 posts
259 upvotes
I think I see the glitch now

amd-never-settle-space-pack-3x-games-in ... a-1545357/

Something about the moving function removed the category tag. So when viewing the original hot deals category the thread was assigned to (games), there is no moved tag link to the thread. However in hot deals - all forum it is there, albeit several pages deep. This is different from how the forum used to work and isn't helpful to users. I should be able to view hot deals - games and see the thread link as far up or down as it was but with a moved tag and now changed to a link to the same open thread in the expired deals forum.

I distinctly recall being able to see that in the past.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10637 posts
17201 upvotes
Scarborough
I don't believe this is a bug/glitch but rather just how thread redirects work in our forums which feature categories. They're simply meant to serve as an indicator that the thread was moved. Search also won't pull it as a result since it's no longer in that forum.

I understand that the Hot Deals forum moves quickly but even our less than perfect search had no problem finding this thread for me.
[OP]
May 18, 2006
860 posts
259 upvotes
Search isn't relevant to the issue. You can't search for something you didn't know existed. One should be able to view their hot deals subforum of choice (ie, video games) and observe any *recently* moved threads (and conveniently click through to them).

You used to be able to see this in games, and then it went away, I suspected because of changes to category functions. Though I DO since I last posted, see a couple moved threads there now, so did you do something to make that work again?

Also can you confirm where the thread appears in the thread list is sorted based on last post before the move, or timestamp of the move (it's not last post in still active thread, obviously)
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10637 posts
17201 upvotes
Scarborough
It's true that you won't see results for threads that have been moved but if you could, searching for a deal within Hot Deals would return a lot of moved (expired) threads. This seems like it would be a less popular option as people generally aren't interested in finding expired deals. Perhaps a feature we might be able to add in would be to also return a list of the last X amount of threads matching the search terms that exist outside of the forum being searched that were originally created within that forum.

No we have not made any changes to that recently.

Moved threads should be sorted within the new forum based on the time index of the last post within the thread. Are you seeing different?
[OP]
May 18, 2006
860 posts
259 upvotes
I think there is still some confusion about what I mean.

I wish to go to a subforum of hot deals (we'll use Video Games), and aside from seeing all the current deals, I would like to see any recently 'moved-to-expired' threads still lingering on the thread list. They would be as far up or down the thread list as their last-post-prior-to-move time, OR time-of-move.

Ie, it is now 9pm. A correctly categorized video game hot deal was moved by a mod (hopefully justly) to expired deals earlier at 3pm. I should expect to view hot deals - video games, and see the thread on the thread list, probably midway down the first page, and clicking it will take me to the thread, now in it's new forum of expired deals.

The importance of this is that for regular deal hunters it is very valuable information to know what deals WERE available, even if they are no longer. It sets expectations about what will happen in the future, and gives you info to know who to check when and for what deals going forward.

Not to mention it happens often enough that even though a mod or people posting have declared a deal dead, there are still methods of obtaining it, and so it is essential to have the thread still highly visible.

This is balanced by it being being 'merely' a thread-link with a *moved* tag in hot deals. Nobody should get upset because they got excited for nothing, as the thread has a clear tag on it, and also it is not constantly being bumped up to the top of hot deals, annoying people.

What I was witnessing was that deals that were moved out of hot deals, that originally showed up under video games, were not showing up there anymore, with a moved tag or otherwise. It led me to believe there was a glitch or something about applying the moved tag was replacing the 'video games' tag, and thus the thread would no longer show up under that subforum, even if it showed up in hot deals - general.

But as I said, I can see at least 2 'moved' threads on the second page of hot deals - games right now, so either something changed, or some mods change the ways they were applying the move function or... I dunno but it appears the problem is fixed?

On a related note, and I dont think this happens but I'd have to watch some more, leaving a "moved" tagged thread link behind for a thread that was merged into another or should have been deleted outright is obviously no good and just leaves unwanted clutter on the thread list. 'moved' tagged threads should be reserved for open threads that still have relevance, but for reasons (expired, not quite right forum) get moved out. the remaining tagged title in the thread list though is good info, we want people to see that.

edit: so my question on sorting was about the original forum (hot deals - games), is it the last post prior to move, or the time of the move that determines where the moved tagged thread appears?
Sep 27, 2003
9321 posts
2153 upvotes
Newmarket
I don't typically leave redirects on Expired Deal threads.

For other threads that have been put in the wrong section and need to be moved, depending on how much volume / activity the thread receives, helps me to determine how long I leave the redirect set for.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10637 posts
17201 upvotes
Scarborough
Ok I understand what you mean now. This is not a new change and is how its always been since we introduced categories last year. The thread redirect will always show "Moved:" but since this is only a link and not an actual thread, it loses the category information which only threads have. This is also why when you filter by category within Hot Deals that you cannot see it as it doesn't actually exist there anymore.
[OP]
May 18, 2006
860 posts
259 upvotes
Ok so I was right it in that it used to be better and then was changed in a negative way when the categories were changed.

However, I absolutely *have* seen this week, since my initial complaint, some moved tagged redirects when viewing hot deals - games, which you just said wasn't possible, yet is what I want to see (always). So what's going on?

Edit: MTommy's video shows redirects both appearing and not appearing. Illustrates the confusion pretty clearly.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10637 posts
17201 upvotes
Scarborough
Deusfaux wrote:
Sep 9th, 2014 3:07 pm
Ok so I was right it in that it used to be better and then was changed in a negative way when the categories were changed.

However, I absolutely *have* seen this week, since my initial complaint, some moved tagged redirects when viewing hot deals - games, which you just said wasn't possible, yet is what I want to see (always). So what's going on?

Edit: MTommy's video shows redirects both appearing and not appearing. Illustrates the confusion pretty clearly.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say it was better before there were categories because that same view exists (the default view). You just see a categories column in addition to what was there before.

There does appear to be some inconsistencies with moved threads in Hot Deals. We'll be doing some investigating over the coming week. Hopefully we can figure this out.
[OP]
May 18, 2006
860 posts
259 upvotes
I mean the behaviour was introduced around the same time. As in, perhaps a bug caused as a result of other changes made to the forum.