Site Comments & Suggestions

Please bring back the -Moved- thread tag.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2016 5:57 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 18, 2006
908 posts
361 upvotes
This is still an issue. A thread that was high up on the first page of hot deals - games as of a few hours ago is moved to expired and there is no redirect/breadcrumb to show it was ever there (on the front page of games).
Sep 27, 2003
9603 posts
2304 upvotes
Newmarket
Deusfaux wrote:
May 6th, 2015 5:38 am
This is still an issue. A thread that was high up on the first page of hot deals - games as of a few hours ago is moved to expired and there is no redirect/breadcrumb to show it was ever there (on the front page of games).
This is a manual process - when moving a thread we have the option to show a redirect or not and for how long. We can review internally if all moved threads within Hot Deals should have redirect or not and for how long.
RFD Forums Moderator
[OP]
May 18, 2006
908 posts
361 upvotes
Then I think mods need to be reminded to use it. Unless the tread was always in the wrong place and was caught early, there should be a *mandatory* 'Moved' redirect left behind, and it should stay up close to a week IMO.

What's the problem with that long? It will only last on the front page(s) if there is no new content to push it down and out. You need to give users who dont visit frequently a chance to see what kinds of deals have recently been in play, if not that specific deal (I can't tell you the # of times a deal was still accessible even though a mod moved it to expired)
[OP]
May 18, 2006
908 posts
361 upvotes
Stop it, please: walmart-playstation-vita-borderlands-2- ... 1733123/7/

read post above.

Edit: 4 days after the mod originally moved it out (and without a redirect) and people are still getting the deal. Proof that this is an ongoing problem.

Mods err on the side of leaving threads in deals. They dont harm anybody.
[OP]
May 18, 2006
908 posts
361 upvotes
Yet another thread lasts mere hours before a mod removes it from where deal seekers expect to find deals. This one particular retailer stops active selling for the moment, but the deal in question will be relevant to RFDers for the next 2 months yet, and available at several other retailers, if not this same one before long. Good information, removed.

Mods continue to bury threads in expired deals or other subforums without leaving behind redirects. PLEASE enforce the following as policy either in software or moderator behaviour:

Unless the thread was in the wrong location from the get-go and was caught early before further activity, there should be a *mandatory* 'Moved' redirect left behind, and it should stay up close to a week IMO, if not indefinitely.

What's the problem with that long? It will only remain on the front page(s) if there is no new content to push it down and out. It doesnt take up the space of fresh content/deals. You need to give users who dont visit frequently (several times a day) a chance to see what kinds of deals have recently been in play, if not that specific deal. I can't tell you the # of times a deal was still accessible even though a mod moved it to expired, but suffice to say it had been far too many times.

Edit: oh of COURSE someone just re-made the thread, mere hours after the mod hastily ghosted it, because it's back in stock at the exact same link. What else is new. It should have been had the title changed to OOS and otherwise left alone for longer, before being locked and left where it was, before being moved and leaving a redirect behind.

This entire site and forum's reason for existing is the sharing of information on deals. So let's err on the side of letting users do that and not obscuring and burying that information.
[OP]
May 18, 2006
908 posts
361 upvotes
This is still happening all the time.

USE THREAD REDIRECTS, PLEASE.

Leaving a thread link that's clearly marked 'moved' or 'expired' to fall off the front page naturally hurts no-one, but erasing it's existence from Hot Deals can hurt many.

Just do it already, I've been harping on about this for years now and nobody has given a reason why it shouldnt or can't be done.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
12094 posts
22382 upvotes
Scarborough
Deusfaux wrote:
Apr 5th, 2016 3:49 pm
This is still happening all the time.

USE THREAD REDIRECTS, PLEASE.

Leaving a thread link that's clearly marked 'moved' or 'expired' to fall off the front page naturally hurts no-one, but erasing it's existence from Hot Deals can hurt many.

Just do it already, I've been harping on about this for years now and nobody has given a reason why it shouldnt or can't be done.
Leaving a redirect that lasts 1 month is the default action when moving a thread. Do you have an example of a thread that was moved where a redirect wasn't left?
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
May 18, 2006
908 posts
361 upvotes
it happens regularly in the category I most often view - Video games

sdm-wii-u-mk8-249-88-3ds-xl-179-88-2ds- ... y-1952685/ (and yet the repost was never moved! shoppers-drug-mart-new-3ds-xl-179-88-2d ... a-1954109/)
bb-amazon-bravely-second-end-layer-coll ... s-1956905/
sdm-12-month-xbox-live-membership-59-99 ... c-1953597/
rcss-50-off-most-video-games-no-tax-1955199/
xbox-live-random-flash-sale-1954191/
dead-amazon-com-sfv-ps4-10-32-usd-fees- ... s-1955053/
amazon-ca-bestbuy-nintendo-gold-hyrule- ... a-1951181/
final-fantasy-xv-collectors-edition-1953553/
gamechanger-steam-donate-1-more-get-tom ... a-1952371/
gmg-pcdd-greenman-gaming-spring-encore- ... d-1953883/
rainbow-six-siege-free-xbox-one-1952527/

And that's just comparing to the front page of a SINGLE category (video games), which means only going back 1 week, that I could be bothered to observe. All threads moved to expired deals - none with left-behind redirects in Hot Deals proper - meaning plenty of people never informed there was a deal, which I think I've laid out very clearly is a bad thing over and over in this thread here.

Furthermore - going through all 5 pages of Hot Deals - 1 day short of a month's worth of threads, there isn't a single redirect pointing to expired deals.

Clearly some or most mods aren't following your directive to use the redirects and stop burying valuable deal information (this entire forums' purpose) in a place it won't be seen. Threads with APPARENT* expired offers should either be left alone, locked and left where they are, or if the MUST be moved, then a redirect MUST be used. 3 options to leave information in the place it's expected to be found, and yet none of them are being applied.

*so often the deal is still obtainable!
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
12094 posts
22382 upvotes
Scarborough
I'm currently looking into the situation and will post an update shortly. I agree that redirects should be left so we'll sort this out soon enough.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
12094 posts
22382 upvotes
Scarborough
All threads will have the default 1-month redirect left from this point on. Also when you filter by a category within Hot Deals, you actually don't see redirects. It's a known issue that we hope to resolve sometime this year.
[OP]
May 18, 2006
908 posts
361 upvotes
thank you for the prompt replies and satisfactory answers. that's good leadership and what i'd expect from a well run forum

I will say that though there was a single exception when I combed through the 5 pages of hot deals - video games. that is, I could see a single -moved- tagged thread. I didn't mention it because it wasn't a moved-to-expired-deals-thread (it appeared to be still in games when I clicked on it)

so I'm not sure how that fits into what you say about them not showing up when viewing hot deals filtered by category. i'll try to find it again
[OP]
May 18, 2006
908 posts
361 upvotes
humble-steam-humble-staff-picks-bundle-glen-1956979/
ps-april-2016-a-1953153/

both of these show up when filtered to video games. Though they both appear to still be located in video games... (a redirect to the same forum?) so I'm not sure what's going on there and if they are an exception to what you said for the reason they're not normal redirects (pointing to a new location in a different sub-forum)
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
12094 posts
22382 upvotes
Scarborough
Deusfaux wrote:
Apr 6th, 2016 5:45 pm
humble-steam-humble-staff-picks-bundle-glen-1956979/
ps-april-2016-a-1953153/

both of these show up when filtered to video games. Though they both appear to still be located in video games... (a redirect to the same forum?) so I'm not sure what's going on there and if they are an exception to what you said for the reason they're not normal redirects (pointing to a new location in a different sub-forum)
The redirects left for these are from mergers and not moves so that might be why you still see them.
I believe that they still show up due to the fact that they're
[OP]
May 18, 2006
908 posts
361 upvotes
some of your post got eaten?

but yes those were probably merges.

Is that a weird exception then, that I can see the moved tag even whilst browsing it filtered by category (where other moved (to other subforum) threads will not show up as you said?)
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
12094 posts
22382 upvotes
Scarborough
Deusfaux wrote:
Apr 6th, 2016 11:07 pm
some of your post got eaten?

but yes those were probably merges.

Is that a weird exception then, that I can see the moved tag even whilst browsing it filtered by category (where other moved (to other subforum) threads will not show up as you said?)
Wonder what happened with my post? Anyways I meant to say that they show up because they're still in the Hot Deals forum.

It is weird. The moved thread redirect wasn't something they accounted for when the categories were originally added in. It hasn't really been a big issue which is why it hasn't been modified since then. There are some things I'd like to do to better highlight recently expired Hot Deals. Hopefully some of those ideas will get added in in the future.