• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2013 3:55 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3343 posts
577 upvotes
or just take better pictures. Make sure you're in a well lit area, clean the camera lens, etc.

I've deposited about 6 or 7 cheques using the app since the feature was launched. Very convenient.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
14275 posts
5175 upvotes
Gatineau
aqnd wrote:
Aug 19th, 2013 2:54 pm
I've deposited 3 cheques so far.
1 - no problem
2 - rejected, blurry or some such excuse (looked fine to me, made sure of it before submitting)
2b - accepted fine second time around
3 - rejected, same reason
3b - pending

Not looking too good for reliability.
Guess if I really need a cheque cashed in a timely manner, gotta head to the ATM.
I've also deposited about 3 cheques.

1) Deposited Fine. No Issues. Received email 2 days later saying to destroy cheque.
2) Deposited. 2 Days later, email saying that the cheque was too blurry, so transaction was reversed (put my account into a negative balance). Went to ATM to deposit it the same day as reversal.
3) Deposited Fine. But I didn't get an email to destroy cheque until almost a week later (so I had to hold onto the cheque in my wallet for the entire week.

djino
"All in all, I'm happy with the new feature. Very convenient"
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2650 upvotes
ON
CorSter wrote:
Aug 19th, 2013 3:01 pm
or just take better pictures. Make sure you're in a well lit area, clean the camera lens, etc.

I've deposited about 6 or 7 cheques using the app since the feature was launched. Very convenient.
I did all of that, including their suggestions of dark background.
It wasn't blurry. If I can clearly read all text printed on it, including the address in 8pt font on a tiny phone screen, surely they should be able to read it on their end on a computer screen.
They have room for improvement, but still a nice service.
Feb 13, 2009
553 posts
156 upvotes
Montreal
I deposited 5 cheques in total.
First 4 were business printed chqs, they went through smoothly; got a confirmation to destroy original chq 2 hrs later.
Last one took 24 hrs before getting a confirmation email to destroy original (because it was the only personal chq that was handwritten in French perhaps?).
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
2961 posts
212 upvotes
Ottawa
I just had to resubmit the pictures aswell, I found natural sunlight the second time around
Hello
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2012
1443 posts
307 upvotes
I've usually not had any issues with the pictures themselves. My big problem is you have no way to track back to individual cheques if you do a bunch of deposits at once. All they give you in the emails is the $ amount.

I did a bunch this weekend, and one of them got rejected because " the information on your deposit does not match the information on file".

I had to call them and the best they could tell me is something was wrong with the name on it. There are 4 cheques it could be based on the $ amount but they can't even tell me which one. I could at least go to a bank in person and deposit it.

Now I have to wait until somebody goes back and looks at the pictures to tell me which cheque # it was so I can try again.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2650 upvotes
ON
Yes, would be nice if they quoted the reference number when notifying of cancellation. Perhaps mention this to them when the get back to you?
Oct 5, 2010
382 posts
182 upvotes
It would be nice if the banks had cheque templates you could print out at home. Why would I need to order cheques if everyone is eventually moving to this technology.
Feb 28, 2013
945 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
How is this any easier than depositing at an ATM and having the images taken for you?

I don't think other banks need to bother with this since cheques are pretty out dated themselves.

Why even bother with the hassle of printing a template? Email money transfer.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2012
1443 posts
307 upvotes
Beans1234 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2013 9:21 am
How is this any easier than depositing at an ATM and having the images taken for you?

I don't think other banks need to bother with this since cheques are pretty out dated themselves.

Agree'd, the best would be if email money transfers become the norm for everything. Unfortunately there are a lot of companies and people that still use printed cheques for stuff. Its really annoying but it will be a while before it becomes the norm to use e-transfers
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2012
1443 posts
307 upvotes
aqnd wrote:
Aug 26th, 2013 5:54 pm
Yes, would be nice if they quoted the reference number when notifying of cancellation. Perhaps mention this to them when the get back to you?
I mentioned it, I even wrote a separate email recommending it. Right now I'm just waiting for somebody to talk to the right department and get me the cheque # so I can go deposit it to my TD LoC and move it over instead. Not worth the hassle if they reject it again.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2650 upvotes
ON
Rhaegar wrote:
Aug 26th, 2013 5:39 pm
I've usually not had any issues with the pictures themselves. My big problem is you have no way to track back to individual cheques if you do a bunch of deposits at once. All they give you in the emails is the $ amount.

I did a bunch this weekend, and one of them got rejected because " the information on your deposit does not match the information on file".

I had to call them and the best they could tell me is something was wrong with the name on it. There are 4 cheques it could be based on the $ amount but they can't even tell me which one. I could at least go to a bank in person and deposit it.

Now I have to wait until somebody goes back and looks at the pictures to tell me which cheque # it was so I can try again.
aqnd wrote:
Aug 26th, 2013 5:54 pm
Rhaegar wrote:
Aug 28th, 2013 12:30 pm
I mentioned it, I even wrote a separate email recommending it. Right now I'm just waiting for somebody to talk to the right department and get me the cheque # so I can go deposit it to my TD LoC and move it over instead. Not worth the hassle if they reject it again.
Looks like they listened.

My last cheque in (email confirmation):
Amount: $50.00 To: ISA, XXXXXXXXXXX Submitted On: September 10, 2013
Today:
Amount: $117.56 To: ISA, XXXXXXXXXXX Submitted On: October 17, 2013 Cheque: XXXXXX
The cheque number is OCR'd and shown in the confirmation emal for your reference. Thanks, ING.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2008
1432 posts
111 upvotes
Beans1234 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2013 9:21 am

Not everything is electronic yet. Recently won a radio statio contest and took a picture of the check and deposited it. I've got both the money and check as a souvenir win win lol :)
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21250 posts
2082 upvotes
aqnd wrote:
Oct 17th, 2013 2:52 pm
Looks like they listened.

My last cheque in (email confirmation):

Today:

The cheque number is OCR'd and shown in the confirmation emal for your reference. Thanks, ING.
I had a cheque returned a few weeks ago with the number.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2650 upvotes
ON
Tried another deposit, after two failures, I tried updating the app. Seems the picture is a bit clearer, maybe they had issues with nexus 4 camera?
Fingers crossed the third works.