1590 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
dude you shouldn't say something like this unless you have proof

there are other ways for people to gain your card
Aug 29, 2005
354 posts
Toronto
I don't see a reason to con people at a very busy place. Unless it is a single worker doing this then it would be a big deal. You should also tell them what the worker looks like.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
39 upvotes
toronto
jackwest wrote: dude you shouldn't say something like this unless you have proof

there are other ways for people to gain your card
Thank you.

I don't think there's a way for them to know your pin unless they look at the pinpad while you're pushing the buttons. Sure they can copy the numbers of your card, but as for getting the PIN numbers through a different way other than looking at the pinpad while pushing the buttons, I don't know.

A similar thing happened to our friend when he used his Debit @ Hasty Market. It was some professional crook who took his info (see: debit card fraud, google it). Unfortunately, the bank didn't reimburse him with his funds ($400). You're lucky if you get your money back.

BUT, I do have a complaint with that particular Thai Express...

and that is, they charge for SAUCE! yes, SAUCE. I always get some Thai Red Curry and they only put 3 tbsp max in it. I've never eaten such dry curry and when I asked for them to put more they told me there's an extra charge for it :mad: WTF? Sherway Thai Express doesn't do that.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5785 posts
810 upvotes
A lot of PIN theft occurs when the PIN-Pad is swapped without the merchant's knowledge, it may have nothing to do with anyone working at the establishment. The theives will then return and retrieve the comprimised pad at a later time. It's pretty easy to swap when it's busy and the PIN pad is left on the counter. This is why some places are placing stickers or bolting their PIN Pads down now.

Secondly, your card could have been skimmed a while ago and the information copied is only being used now.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5920 posts
51 upvotes
GT-eh
I pay cash at Fast Food restaurant, I find paying with debit cards are too vulnerable to be hacked. That is just me.
Dec 6, 2008
809 posts
619 upvotes
get the pad thai, it's worth getting your debit info stolen :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2005
1793 posts
41 upvotes
Next time, use the credit card.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2006
1621 posts
392 upvotes
This thread is not cool at all. You have no concrete proof and yet you're accusing Thai Express in a forum viewed by a LOT of people.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
lioncar wrote: This thread is not cool at all. You have no concrete proof and yet you're accusing Thai Express in a forum viewed by a LOT of people.
Agreed. You debit card is your bank card, you say you withdraw money from the ABMs occasionally, even once is enough to get your card skimmed which is what mostly likely happened here.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11471 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
It *is* questionable that the card was swiped out of view.

You should have immediately asked for the card back.

It's just stupid what people let professionals do to them, let alone clerks or some poor sot working in a fast food restaurant.

Still, without proof--as in actual legal, signed police report kind of proof--that it happened there, this thread should be deleted. But it is a good warning that if anyone takes your debit card out of view, speak the he11 up and get it back right away. And if you're worried, cancel it/replace it.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
bdottan wrote:
First, I hardly use my debit card. Once in awhile I'll withdraw $20-$40 dollars, but it's always at a TD and it's always inside the bank, never outside of the bank. When I pay for gas, it's almost always at the gas pump if I don't have cash.

So I am not 100% on this, but I am just saying be careful if you decide to eat there and pay with debit. Hide your PIN.
So you use your debit card at the gas pump and you don't suspect it could be the gas station?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5893 posts
42 upvotes
assuming as made you an ass here. if i owned thai express, u would be hearing from me..
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
2271 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga ON
my card was copied two times and both times were after using it at a gas station.
Sep 22, 2005
81 posts
couple serious falsehoods in this thread.

1 - your pin number is stored on your debit card. someone who knows what theyre doing can easily get this info from a swipe. Why do you think they make you swipe your card in a special machine when you want to change your pin# at the bank?

2 - if you think paying at the pump is safe, you're sadly mistaken. There are a number of ways for theives to steal your data from this source, one of which being they get a copy of the key from their buddy who works there (i.e. the guy who gets paid 8$ an hour who has to go out there and swap out the receipt ribbon rolls). They can install a second reader in the machine that grabs your data. I also believe that a number of pumps use some kind of wireless connection, meaning your data can be stolen right out of thin air by a guy sitting in a car in the parking lot with a laptop.

The safest thing is to use your credit card. You're much more likely to be reimbursed than by the bank should anything go wrong. I was recently nabbed for a good about on my credit card. They called the next day, and the charges were wiped after a short 5 minute phone call.
Jan 4, 2004
524 posts
107 upvotes
Surrey
even banking at a bank machine you can have your card info stolen. Some instances the crooks install some thing on top of the card insert that looks just like the real thing, and your card 'passes' through...same with the pinpad...

Theres too many factors, so without proof, there is simply no way. And as a previous poster mentioned...it may have been done a while ago.

My friends mother (I lived with my friend at the time) took a trip to Montreal...then left back to her home country. 8 months later, the bank called and asked if she had used her overdraft of $1000 in Quebec that day...turns out her account was down over $4000...the bank reimbursed it all after a lengthy investigation...

If only canada were like middle east countries, where theives lose their hands!
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2009
3540 posts
879 upvotes
Don't be nosey
Wish the OP best of luck.....hope they eventually close that Thai place..never liked it in the first place.....MUHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHH
PSN: RunOrDie226
add me!
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2943 posts
614 upvotes
Newmarket
even if you do your banking with TD and then go to a green machine, it could have happened that one of the ATMs was compromised also.

i could be anywhere you use your card.

i'm not saying it wasn't thai express because i'd be suspicious if it took some lady more than 1 minute to swipe my card. i'm assuming you're exaggerating a little bit saying she disappeared under the counter for 5 minutes.. lol because that is quite a long time for a fast food joint. especially in yorkdale where is super busy. but if it was the 5 whole minutes you say it was then you should have asked for your card back and left.
Nov 10, 2009
77 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I am sorry if this was wrong to post. I guess I just wanted to vent because I was so angry that my money was stolen.

It's just that I hardly ever use my debit and I mean ever. I usually take out money at the end of the week, right after pay day, with a teller and that will be my spending money for the rest of the week.

TD is investigating, and they said hopefully I will be reimbursed after they have completed it.

The lady may not have taken 5 minutes, but from the time I ordered to the time I entered my PIN, my food was ready right before I actually entered my PIN.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience this thread has caused, I guess I should have just posted my experience and asked for advice and not accuse any establishment. If this thread must be deleted, then so be it. I should have just said to be very careful with your debit card.

Again I am sorry for the problems this post may have caused, and thank you everyone for their input and advice.

Hopefully TD's investigation will tell me what happened.