Real Estate

Please educate me, why are these properties in Hamilton, ON so cheap?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2018 10:50 am
Tags:
None
Oct 9, 2011
142 posts
48 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: This must be trying to attract offers as it's priced way below. How is Hamilton East? Sounds like people recommend Hamilton Mountain and other newer "subdivisions" but suggest to avoid the industrial area.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Sing ... rio-L9H5V3
don't buy that area...

Buy mountain, downtown (James North area is getting pricey), Locke St area is nice, as is the gage park area and the Kirkendale neighbourhood, Corktowne is up and coming too.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
1310 posts
366 upvotes
Prices are getting nuts in Hamilton and in all the areas around it I bought a detached in Stoney creek last year and the last detached home on my street sold for $480000 over asking someone else just listed $75000 higher then the last one sold for last week and it's been non stop traffic going through that house
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
timach wrote: I'm from hamilton and our prices are getting crazy. All you Toronto people are coming here jacking the prices up! My sister bought her house for 230k in a nice neighbourhood 3 years ago.. Just got valued at 500k! (she put 40k into it, 3 bath 4 bedrooms)... the nice areas are getting ridiculous
Where was this?

Which areas to avoid at all cost?
Oct 9, 2011
142 posts
48 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Where was this?

Rothsay area. Rothsay backs onto gage park it's a very nice area, quiet and clean.

Which areas to avoid at all cost?
Avoid anywhere near Barton, Oriole crescent area, wentworth north.

The Stinson neighborhood is also up and coming with some lovely Victorian houses and row houses.
Westdale area is beautiful near McMaster. The north side of westdale is nicer I find.

Lots of people say to avoid anywhere down the mountain but I find it the opposite. More to do down the hill I find. If you need any help, let me know. Hamiltons great, love this city.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Yeah. We live along Burloak and it makes sense to eye an investment in Hamilton instead of Durham. It is closer to the US and the Lakeshore West line is one of the busier lines with more frequent service.

Will have a look at your recommended areas and try to confirm my understanding. Thanks again Timach.
Mar 13, 2018
2 posts
Bictoria
I will gladly accept your help!
Sick of the west coast. Hamilton looks exceedingly enticing. I love the old homes and I have no issue with industrial areas. I plan on concentrating on painting urban cityscapes. We don't want to be anywhere near suburbia. Presently we are in a small city running rampant with meth-head homeless. I'm willing to bet that the "shady" or "seedy" areas I hear about in Hamilton are mild in comparison. Any advise or thoughts would be useful. I saw a place at 285 king st which had s great price of $220000. Would like to keep under 385000 if possible. Thanks for your time!
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
4531 posts
4060 upvotes
Hamilton is not dangerous....seems to have a lot of cops patrolling the streets.

It is, however, depressingly boring.