Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
8501 posts
1053 upvotes
Occupied Ottawa

Please help me decide on a media streamer

I'm looking at replacing my current HTPC with a media streamer for various reasons and I was wondering if anyone could help me choose one. Here's what I'm looking for:

1) At least 2 USB ports (I intend to connect a 4 bay external drive thing, as well as an "empty" thermaltake drive hub to insert and remove drives).
2) It should be quiet
3) It should be able to play my backup files (mostly 720p x264, divx/xvid, mpeg-2, vc-1/h264, if possible a few 1080p x264)
4) It should have a large remote (as large as, for example, Microsoft Media Center remote).
5) It should be able to connect to Netflix via a wired DSL connection (I'd prefer it to be able to dial a PPPoE connection itself as my router's in "dumb" mode, but if I have to I'll configure my router properly).

Any ideas?
3 replies
Mar 3, 2009
566 posts
51 upvotes
The WD Live Streamer is currently on sale today only at Dell Days of Deals, $85. Check the thread in Hot Deals.

I don't know about your numbers 4 and 5 though, but 1 thru 3 should be good to go.
Jan 2, 2008
207 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
I have Boxee Box...it's great as it streams pretty much every single format. Has a browser...you can stream movies/shows that it finds on the net. But the selction for free movies/shows is very limited....apps are pretty useless except for youtube/browser. I would say it's not bad and works nice but not worth the price especially if you live in canada as content is very limited. Go for the Apple TV, I hear lot of good stuff about that.