• Jan 7th, 2010 6:22 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 30, 2008
510 posts
20 upvotes

Please help me pick a tv

Hello my brother bought a samsung ln46b750 3-4 weeks ago. The picture was amazing, even kinda 3-d. I was also going to buy the samsung ln46b750 but futureshop sold them all and they will no longer restock them.

So my question is, what tv can i buy that is better than the samsung ln46b750? I have to buy the tv at bestbuy.ca, futureshop.ca or sears (Canada) My budget is under 2k

thanks in advance
19 replies
Dec 24, 2007
663 posts
237 upvotes
Kingston
You can look at Sony's top models but its gonna be very tough to get into any of them for under 2k all in... Have a peek at the W, Z and XBR series. Sammy and Sony use the same panels... well, at least up until this year they do, before things went sour between the two.
Oct 27, 2009
301 posts
125 upvotes
MaDgamEr wrote:
Dec 31st, 2009 1:18 am
well, at least up until this year they do, before things went sour between the two.
oh where can i read about that?
Mar 30, 2009
989 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto
I wish everyone would already get off Sony and Samsungs d*ck already and recommend other brands. If this was my first time coming around the forums and reading up on TV's, I would swear half of the people that recommend them work for these 2 companies.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4912 posts
1058 upvotes
First thing you do when buying HDTV is decide if you want a plasma or LCD. There are pros and cons for each. Google search and you'll find plenty of articles on plasma vs LCD. Plasma is cheaper. If you want a big TV you'll get more bang for your buck with plasma.

You definitely want 1080p. Don't get 720p as those are outdated.

Personally, I don't care that much about brand. Unless there is noticable flaw, I don't think you should care about brands that much either. You'll only find noticable flaws with the lower end brands. The mainstream brands are all reasonable and you can adjust the settings a little so minor differences are not much of an issue.

If you want to sample picture quality, I recommend physically going to a BB or FS to look at the difference. if you're paying up to 2k, I think it's worth the time to look.
Dec 24, 2009
44 posts
2 upvotes
brampton
panasonic plazma are great they always talking about them ,the s series.
me i dont like plazma to much i think lcd look better .
[OP]
Jun 30, 2008
510 posts
20 upvotes
TheRide wrote:
Dec 31st, 2009 11:20 am
Are you near Scarborough OP? We just got a 47 B750 in-stock yesterday.
No i live in London, Ontario. Is there any chance i can buy it at london ontario and they can ship to my futureshop?
Dec 31, 2009
26 posts
redeagle wrote:
Dec 31st, 2009 8:54 am
I wish everyone would already get off Sony and Samsungs d*ck already and recommend other brands. If this was my first time coming around the forums and reading up on TV's, I would swear half of the people that recommend them work for these 2 companies.
I joined this forum just to comment on this post. This is the most redicuolous thing I have ever heard. If someone is looking for recommendations on the best TV, then it is obvious that certain brands will get more recommended than others. If a friend of mine was looking for the best doctor he could find and I knew of one, I wouldn't recommend a crappier doctor just because he never gets recommended. Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, etc, will all get recommended over and over because they are the best... period.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
1942 posts
445 upvotes
Ottawa
redeagle wrote:
This is already the comment of the year!!

Maybe because those two companies make the best LCD televisions, while Samsung and Panasonic make excellent Plasmas. Of course Sony and Samsung will be mentioned over and over for tv recommendations, like what 5pointOoh said, they are the best...period.

So we should recommend Dynex or Insignia for the OP just because those crappy brands don't get mentioned right?!?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2007
1102 posts
52 upvotes
Edmonton
+1. The reason Sony and Samsung get recommended so much is because they are the best. Personally I am not a big Sony fan as I find them overpriced, but I am a huge Samsung fan for LCD based electronics. Not so much on the plasma side though.
Dec 30, 2009
2 posts
redeagle wrote:
Redeagle your right people are in love with samsung and sony. If want a Tv go anything but LG Lcd because my girlfriend has one and its the biggest POS I have ever seen. Shes returning it tomorrow and buying a panasonic plasma.