Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
2652 posts
2236 upvotes
GTA

Please help: Would like to unlock my iPhone 3G with iOs 4.x

Hi all,

Please help:

I would like to learn to unlock my iPhone 3G with iOs 4.x. I am a PC user, no Mac.

The phone is currently jailbroken and unlocked on 3.1.2 (I paid that time; but like to learn to do it myself this time). But I would like to update it to 4.2.1 so that I can give to my son to use (with 7-11 Speakout) and install some of the later apps.

I was told that once I do that, all the JB and unlock would be erased.

I would appreciate if some of you who can provide a step by step guide so I can follow.

Thank you in advance.
¸

- - - - -
;)
13 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
2652 posts
2236 upvotes
GTA
tmpz wrote: Start here:
http://iclarified.com/unlock/index.php

You should upgrade to 3.1.3, jailbreak and unlock.
As mentioned in my original post, the phone is already JB and unlocked at 3.1.2

I wish to update to 4.2.1; then JB and unlock.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
DragOnT wrote: As mentioned in my original post, the phone is already JB and unlocked at 3.1.2

I wish to update to 4.2.1; then JB and unlock.
dude before you start replying in bold text you should click the link and take the advice of the poster.
the link clearly gives you the option to click your prerequisites and then it gives you a step by step guide with pictures.
iclarified is like jailbreaking for dummies and noobs. click the link and follow the onscreen guide.
you just said what you wanted to do. so go update to 4.2.1 then use the iclarified guide wizard and follow the pictures.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
2652 posts
2236 upvotes
GTA
infamouskid wrote: dude before you start replying in bold text you should click the link and take the advice of the poster.
the link clearly gives you the option to click your prerequisites and then it gives you a step by step guide with pictures.
iclarified is like jailbreaking for dummies and noobs. click the link and follow the onscreen guide.
you just said what you wanted to do. so go update to 4.2.1 then use the iclarified guide wizard and follow the pictures.
First thanks for your info. But I was referring to "upgrade to 3.1.3" in case you did not catch it.

Here, I would like to thank all who responded, never meant to be rude. Just wish to get a clear instruction set.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2004
3061 posts
182 upvotes
It's the same steps. However, I recommend you stay on 3.1.3 because of the slow performance on 4.2.1.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2005
1146 posts
163 upvotes
tmpz wrote: It's the same steps. However, I recommend you stay on 3.1.3 because of the slow performance on 4.2.1.
I agree. 4.2.1 is just too heavy for the old 3G. I reverted back to 3.1.3 and was happier with it.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
2652 posts
2236 upvotes
GTA
tmpz , tubs wrote: I agree. 4.2.1 is just too heavy for the old 3G. I reverted back to 3.1.3 and was happier with it.
Appreciate the warning. Unfortunately many new apps require iOs 4.x

That said, would it be better if I run 4.01 or 4.1.1 whatever that "stable" one before 4.2.1?

Thanks again.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14958 posts
2921 upvotes
Toronto
tubs wrote: I agree. 4.2.1 is just too heavy for the old 3G. I reverted back to 3.1.3 and was happier with it.
Apple on purposely kills their devices to be unusable this way right? Since you can't restore to a previous iOS.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
2652 posts
2236 upvotes
GTA
Perhaps I should just buy the xperia for $120 and run Andriod. Much less headache.

Thanks for all your help.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2012
1001 posts
552 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah.. You're phone is over 4 years old..

As awesome as an iPhone really is.. you should consider upgrading to an unlocked phone..