[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9363 posts
1907 upvotes
Toronto

Please merge the bike/cycling threads into the 2 main threads

Hello,

I'd like to request that the various bike/cycling related threads get merged into the existing mega threads.

Cycling thread:

rfd-cycling-thread-official-583240/

Casual Cyclist thread:

official-cycling-thread-commuters-casua ... t-1165940/

S&R is getting pretty cluttered with the the daily "which lock", "which CT bike" threads.

Thanks
15 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8588 posts
12933 upvotes
Scarborough
Swerny wrote:
May 18th, 2017 10:42 am
i think there should still be 1 thread, but if it's 2 so be it.

People still ask questions about cheap bikes in the original alleged "roadie" thread but so be it.
Perhaps a better idea would be to better identify the purpose of each thread then? If you can think of more appropriate titles I can make that change.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9363 posts
1907 upvotes
Toronto
TomRFD wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:46 am
Perhaps a better idea would be to better identify the purpose of each thread then? If you can think of more appropriate titles I can make that change.
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

The main "Cycling" thread has existed forever (since 2008).

Urban Poet created a second thread and while i disagreed with the need for it (and still do), it's being used regularly.

Basic questions get posed in both, which is why I think there really is no need for 2.

I don't have a suggestion for names as i don't see the need for 2. "RFD Cycling Thread" is pretty self-explanatory and i think it's all encompassing.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17041 posts
1884 upvotes
GTA West
Swerny wrote:
May 18th, 2017 10:42 am
i think there should still be 1 thread, but if it's 2 so be it.

People still ask questions about cheap bikes in the original alleged "roadie" thread but so be it.
TomRFD wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:46 am
Swerny wrote:
May 19th, 2017 3:24 pm
Urban Poet created a second thread and while i disagreed with the need for it (and still do), it's being used regularly.

Basic questions get posed in both, which is why I think there really is no need for 2.

I don't have a suggestion for names as i don't see the need for 2. "RFD Cycling Thread" is pretty self-explanatory and i think it's all encompassing.
IMO we definitely need the 2 cycling threads, not just the 1.

This is like having different threads for "RBC Direct Investing" vs "TD eFunds". They are both for similar investing activities, but you still need 2 threads because they are for different target markets.

The "road cycling" and "MTB / commuter / casual enthusiast / everything else" are 2 distinct areas of cycling. This separation is so well defined that if you look up the websites of bicycle manufacturers, bicycle equipment / clothing manufacturers, etc., they also divide their products into "Road" and "MTB / commuter / others / etc" categories. Why? They are for distinct groups of customers.

And that is why we need 2 threads.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36816 posts
2606 upvotes
Toronto
Swerny wrote:
May 19th, 2017 3:24 pm
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

The main "Cycling" thread has existed forever (since 2008).

The reason for its creation was... i found that a lot of comments in the main cycling thread were being ignored bc they werent hardcore in nature. They either werent technical enough. And at a time i found road cyclist racers dominated the thread. Kinda intimidates the guy who just wants a cheap bike. But everyone is talking about $10,000 cerelo's

The thread i created has. Very very district purpose.
For commuters and casual enthusiast. Not racers. Not hard core mountain bikers. Just bike nuts who commute around town and go for leisure rides... pretty much 90% of cyclist.

example "whats the best lock?"

Answer "no lock. Carry your bike with you wherever you go. Whenever i super speed race in my $7 trillion dollar super titanium carbon fiber rocket ship bike... i take it with me when i stop over for coffee"

Reply "but... i just need to go to work and buy groceries :-/"

Answer 2 "youre cycling. As a true speed racer you have no right to stop over for coffee or drinks on a Nice patio on a beautiful summer day. You'll never make it to tour de france with that attitude!"

Reply "please don't hurt me"

Ok i exagerate... but you get the point.

Another example... look at these
Two questions.

1. Whats the best aerodynmic helmet?

2. Whats a good trail i can teAch my kid how to bike?

For #2... i recommend the western edges of the martin goodman trail in the ashbridges bay park. Bc its isolated, flat, and the speedy people ignore it. But people go there only bc its scenic.

#1 can be answered by the super speed racers.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9363 posts
1907 upvotes
Toronto
if people could determine which thread to use, then I agree with you guys.

But when beginners ask "which bike for $150 budget" in the main (alleged roadie) thread, it's the wrong thread.

Having 1 thread would fix that, and the "non-pro's" could answer the basic questions.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17041 posts
1884 upvotes
GTA West
Swerny wrote:
May 22nd, 2017 8:18 pm

But when beginners ask "which bike for $150 budget" in the main (alleged roadie) thread, it's the wrong thread.

Having 1 thread would fix that, and the "non-pro's" could answer the basic questions.
If that was the case, I see it as being more likely that experienced road cyclists would abandon the thread entirely, and go to bike specific forums.
Then RFD would be reducing its userbase and eyeballs seeing advertising, etc., mainly due to reduced quality of discussion.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36816 posts
2606 upvotes
Toronto
Swerny wrote:
May 22nd, 2017 8:18 pm

Jucius Maximus wrote:
May 24th, 2017 11:02 pm
If that was the case, I see it as being more likely that experienced road cyclists would abandon the thread entirely, and go to bike specific forums.
Then RFD would be reducing its userbase and eyeballs seeing advertising, etc., mainly due to reduced quality of discussion.
Swerny wrote:
May 30th, 2017 10:23 am
bumping this for the mods
Swerny wrote:
Jun 21st, 2017 2:25 pm
and again...7 week bump
Another example is "whats the best brand new bike for under $200? I saw sales @ canadian tire."

This question gets laughed [mention2=329452 slug=].[/mention2] The person will get insulted and bashed. Because all the other high end bike users would look down on such a person.
TimmyB150 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2017 11:57 am
What I am asking is is a Schwinn bike that normally goes for $550 Canadian a good deal at $350 and are the components likely to be decent at that price point?
Questions like these in the general "official bike thread" get ignored... example like this

TimmyB150 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2017 11:57 am
What I am asking is is a Schwinn bike that normally goes for $550 Canadian a good deal at $350 and are the components likely to be decent at that price point?
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8588 posts
12933 upvotes
Scarborough
Swerny wrote:
Jun 21st, 2017 2:25 pm
and again...7 week bump
I don't really see that anything needs to be done here. Both threads seem to serve their own separate purpose. That forum doesn't seem overly cluttered but it's possible at times it might be. Shoot me a message the next time you feel it's getting too cluttered and I'll see if there's some other way to resolve the issue. Merging 1 thread into another wouldn't have much impact in my opinion.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9363 posts
1907 upvotes
Toronto
TomRFD wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2017 10:01 am
I don't really see that anything needs to be done here. Both threads seem to serve their own separate purpose. That forum doesn't seem overly cluttered but it's possible at times it might be. Shoot me a message the next time you feel it's getting too cluttered and I'll see if there's some other way to resolve the issue. Merging 1 thread into another wouldn't have much impact in my opinion.
Hi Tom,

The initial request i made (and title of the thread) was for the new bike threads to be moved into one of the 2 main threads.

As it stands, I report them, and they don't get moved.

Any reason why these threads can't be moved into 1 of the 2 existing threads?

best-hybrid-bike-under-500-2106916/

shopping-chainreactioncycles-com-help-2107824/

where-should-i-go-buy-adult-bike-2096566/

prices-reasonable-trek-bicycle-store-toronto-2102037/

has-anyone-rode-mountain-bike-blue-mountain-2101293/#

mongoose-vs-nakamura-2100701/

need-advice-fixing-my-kids-bike-2100448/

2017-ride-heart-2100424/

best-option-dashcam-bicycle-2099071/

Those are just the first 2 pages of Sports and Recreation