Automotive

Please read if you have electronic problems with your car.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2016 8:25 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 18, 2013
594 posts
184 upvotes
Brampton

Please read if you have electronic problems with your car.

So i didnt want to make a new thread about this but i decided i should because its going to save people alot of time and money. Big shoutout to "NASA" on here. As some of you know my mercedes was having some electrical problems and i decided to take it to mercedes benz because it was under warranty. they replaced 2 parts and said the problem is fixed picked car up and same night all of them were back. I sent the car back they said they will replace some more parts. I told them no and got my car towed back to my place, went to CT got a new agm battery and replaced the old one. CAR IS PERFECT NOW. been 3 days no problems whatsoever, So if you have electrical problems(alot of them) please just replace your battery first. Its a cheap step to steer away from a second mortgage. Again NASA was right hahah.
29 replies
Jun 9, 2011
459 posts
224 upvotes
Bluemist1967 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 7:42 pm
So i didnt want to make a new thread about this but i decided i should because its going to save people alot of time and money. Big shoutout to "NASA" on here. As some of you know my mercedes was having some electrical problems and i decided to take it to mercedes benz because it was under warranty. they replaced 2 parts and said the problem is fixed picked car up and same night all of them were back. I sent the car back they said they will replace some more parts. I told them no and got my car towed back to my place, went to CT got a new agm battery and replaced the old one. CAR IS PERFECT NOW. been 3 days no problems whatsoever, So if you have electrical problems(alot of them) please just replace your battery first. Its a cheap step to steer away from a second mortgage. Again NASA was right hahah.
Well, NASA puts rovers on Mars, fixing a cheapo Mercedes should be Peanuts then.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29612 posts
15469 upvotes
Ottawa
Replacing a perfectly good battery is frowned by many resident rfd mechanics!
I for one would do the same, considering a new battery for a hundred or two, is well worth the price of not having to visit the stealership(s) or drive around town to other shops for diagnostic.
[OP]
Oct 18, 2013
594 posts
184 upvotes
Brampton
akon1943 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 7:47 pm
Well, NASA puts rovers on Mars, fixing a cheapo Mercedes should be Peanuts then.
hahaha, yes cheapo mercedes
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3553 posts
2820 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Yes. A fresh, strong battery is a must for cars like your S Class where there's a ton of advanced electronics. Audi Q7 battery replacement should be re-coded into the computer since the system will tell the alternator to charge a fresh battery differently than an older battery.

On another Audi forum, a guy was having all kinds of problems after getting windows tinted. He kept focusing on all the errors and what the issue could be while some kept asking if anything else was done....turned out the tint shop left the doors all open too long and ran the battery down. No problem - they boosted it....except they probably didn't follow the correct procedure or he didn't drive it long enough after picking it up to fully/properly recharge the battery. Bingo -battery replaced and errors all cleared up!
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12773 posts
9158 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Not surprised. German cars have too much crap running in the background. I use to get low battery warnings on a car I was driving daily (25kms), had to get a charger to top off the battery lol. Car I currently have will light up like a christmas tree as well if the battery is low.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
1603 posts
748 upvotes
Toronto
nasa25 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 7:46 pm
lol
Never would have guessed it was the battery...
Jun 17, 2013
790 posts
278 upvotes
Toronto
akon1943 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 7:47 pm
Trump, is that you?!
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1359 posts
993 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Bluemist1967 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 7:42 pm
Did you end up sending the bill for the battery to Mercedes?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21149 posts
10578 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Altera wrote:
Jan 27th, 2016 9:59 am
Did you end up sending the bill for the battery to Mercedes?
why would he send them the bill to cover a 4 year old battery that isn't even covered under his warranty? Talk about nickel and diming.

I bet the mercedes mechanics knew it was the battery all along but decided to go the most profitable route, which was fixing things that didn't need to be fixed, billing the hell out of mercedes corporate and ignoring the real issue. Like it's common sense....if you have a bunch of random glitches simultaneously that have absolutely nothing to do with one another...it has to be something other than those individual components all failing at the same time. This is why I do my homework before taking my car in. 90% of the time I already know what needs to be fixed before the mechanic informs me of the diagnosis.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1760 posts
258 upvotes
A German car with electrical problems? No way!
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12773 posts
9158 upvotes
Richmond Hill
nasa25 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2016 10:23 am
why would he send them the bill to cover a 4 year old battery that isn't even covered under his warranty? Talk about nickel and diming.

I bet the mercedes mechanics knew it was the battery all along but decided to go the most profitable route, which was fixing things that didn't need to be fixed, billing the hell out of mercedes corporate and ignoring the real issue. Like it's common sense....if you have a bunch of random glitches simultaneously that have absolutely nothing to do with one another...it has to be something other than those individual components all failing at the same time. This is why I do my homework before taking my car in. 90% of the time I already know what needs to be fixed before the mechanic informs me of the diagnosis.
It's funny how this played out. With BMW, the first thing they do is test the battery.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8512 posts
1026 upvotes
Montreal, QC
With cars in general becoming filled with electronic gadgets it's a wonder why they removed the battery indicator on the cluster.

My 99 has it and it's helped me pull over at an exit on the highway when I noticed my battery was losing charge due to a bad alternator.