Pets

Please recommend an Affordable *and* Classy vet in Toronto (TTC Accessible)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2017 9:29 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 3, 2008
459 posts
52 upvotes

Please recommend an Affordable *and* Classy vet in Toronto (TTC Accessible)

Please recommend an Affordable *and* Classy vet in Toronto. By "in Toronto," I mean "TTC-accessible."

For example, the downtown vets I've called quote me $350-450+ to spay a cat. That ridiculous. I don't care what their reasons are for charging prices like that, but I cannot afford to pay them.

I have found a vastly cheaper vet in Etobicoke, but that office looks like a dump IMO. I'd rather not go there. Instead, I'd rather go to a classy place that has similarly cheap prices.
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5073 posts
638 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Maybe the cheaper vet in Etobicoke is more concerned about the welfare of your animal than what you think of his decor. His prices are lower because he isn't paying out the wazoo for accommodations.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4261 posts
179 upvotes
angryconsumer wrote:
Oct 13th, 2010 7:11 pm
I don't care what their reasons are for charging prices like that, but I cannot afford to pay them.

I have found a vastly cheaper vet in Etobicoke, but that office looks like a dump IMO. I'd rather not go there. Instead, I'd rather go to a classy place that has similarly cheap prices.

Well if you want a place that has a waiting room with sleek chairs, a great paint job, lovely throw pillows and witty wall art someone has to subsidize that cost. Maybe the ones downtown are charging more because a) they are located in areas where rent is higher or b) they have to re-coop their costs for looking so "classy". You may want to consider worrying less about what the clinic looks like and more about how compassionate and knowledgeable the staff are.
[OP]
Mar 3, 2008
459 posts
52 upvotes
amz155 wrote:
Oct 14th, 2010 2:39 pm
Well if you want a place that has a waiting room with sleek chairs, a great paint job, lovely throw pillows and witty wall art someone has to subsidize that cost.

I don't need that.

But, a place that doesn't look like 10 000 maniacs did a million crazy things all over the floor would be nice, as would a place wherein a bunch of animals and their owners and their owners' kids aren't all cramped together into a very small waiting area.

Is that too much to ask for at an affordable price?
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12208 posts
102 upvotes
Where in Etobicoke did you go?

My vet is at Islington/Eglinton. Richview Animal Clinic @ 250 Wincott Dr.
WTB: A Dance With Dragons from A Song of Ice and Fire
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2542 posts
77 upvotes
Peterborough
Classy? The depth of your caring is astounding.

Shallow. Give your head a shake.
Oct 26, 2010
785 posts
934 upvotes
Where in Toronto do you live? I mean, do you live near DownTown/NorthYork/Scarborough/other places?
It's better to try to find one that is actually near your place (even if it's TTC accessible), in case of any emergency :)

I've been to Beaches Animal Hospital for my foster kittens, they have great vets and they even help-out the humane societies around Toronto. I have a positive image of such clinic and I think you can ask them for different price ranged spaying/ neutering depending on how much you can afford. (There are many kinds of meds and operations, as well as pre and post surgery treatments)

I also know a few other vets in Scarborough area and Markham area, that I have been to for my own pets and my friends' pets. Let me know which areas will be accessible for you, maybe I can tell you a little about their services and pricing :razz:
Apr 12, 2007
21 posts
1 upvote
Just the subject of this thread is contradicting. How can you expect "affordable" and "classy" at the same time?? I'm sorry, but would you be "shopping around for the cheapest doctor" for yourself or your kids??? It baffles me when people want "good vets" but aren't willing to pay the price for "good medicine". What do you expect when you walk into a dirty old house that is a "vets office" - love the "cheap prices" but don't like their torn up dingy looking waiting room?!

I don't know what you were expecting when you posted this thread, but "affordable" and "classy" do not go together in my books.

You supposedly "care" about your pet, but yet, you don't sound like you do, but only wanting "cheap".

I feel sorry for your animals. Treat others how you want to be treated.
Apr 8, 2007
660 posts
91 upvotes
Milton
A good vet will never be cheap. Why would it be cheap?
This is true for any profession, if you are good at something, you get paid accordingly for it.

If a really good vet was really cheap, everyone would go to that vet and they would not be able to accommodate everyone. Instead, charging what they are worth, and accommodating those who care enough for their pets and are willing to pay is the better route.

My dog cost 400+ to get neutered and I don't regret spending that money. They did a great job, used laser for the cuts, had a blood test done before hand to make sure the anesthesia wouldn't cause problems for him, and he was absolutely normal the next day, no scratching, he didn't need a cone, didn't seem to be in any pain at all, nothing.
I would gladly pay 400+ for a good job where he heals quickly and is back to normal in no time as opposed to paying half the price and having his recovery be much, much slower.

Think about what you are getting for your money, this is a surgery that will take time to heal, not a new bed for your cat to sleep on. Do you want it well done and quickly healed or cheap and slow to heal with possible problems?
In the grand scheme of things and considering how much money you will spend on your cat's food, litter, other vet costs, etc... How much is the 200 dollars you might save in a one time only surgery anyways?
May 17, 2006
298 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
I go to The Bathurst-Dupont Animal Hospotal (http://www.yelp.ca/biz/bathurst-dupont- ... al-toronto). The vet there is amazing! He was really gentle with my pup, and never really made me feel rushed during an appointment. The great thing about Dr. Koroknai is that he gives you options for treatment, and doesn't try to up-sell you or pressure you.

This vet is CHEAPER than core vets (eg. The Animal Clinic), but is probably still more than if you went to the suburbs.
Apr 8, 2007
660 posts
91 upvotes
Milton
jenblaze wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 1:20 pm
The vet there is amazing! He was really gentle with my pup, and never really made me feel rushed during an appointment. The great thing about Dr. Koroknai is that he gives you options for treatment, and doesn't try to up-sell you or pressure you.
I think that is key with a good vet. A vet that cares about the animals won't try to upsell you things that you don't need.
On more than one occasion I took my dog to my vet thinking he might need to get some xrays done and was fully prepared to pay for it but the vet said it was not necessary, I still had the option to do it to rule things out but his professional opinion told me it was unnecessary, so we didn't spend the extra cash which we were ready to spend, and our dog got better in a couple days.
May 17, 2006
298 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
I'd also just like to say it's untrue that just because someone is trying to find an affordable vet, doesn't mean they aren't willing to try and find the best care for their pet. Just because a vet charges more money does not necessarily mean they will provide better care or knowledge. A lot of vets will price based on the area they live in. For example, a more expensive area for a clinic means more rent, but it also means more people who have means to pay for higher fees. I once had to make a last minute appointment, and my vet was booked up. So I went down the street where they charged 1.5x more! The doctor there was very rude and tried to constantly talk me into feeding Science Diet (which is NOT the best food), and told me how Acana was "low grade". Then he also seemed to judge me when I said no.

The fact that the OP is even looking for a vet shows they care. Some people don't even take their pets for checkups, or to even spay/neuter their animals.
Jul 1, 2005
976 posts
29 upvotes
I go to Bathurst-Dupont they are the lowest from the ones I've been to. Also Bloor West Village Animal Hospital is good but expensive. Please no matter what don't ever go to Dundas and Euclid , when I was there the vet try to upsell everything from insurances to the worst dog food ever "hill's science Diet". It's been 2 years and they keep sending flyers to my house so annoying, They also call a few times lucky I changed my number.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel