• Mar 3rd, 2018 11:52 am
33 replies
Mar 29, 2010
101 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
http://nomnompaleo.net/recipeindex/#_=_
http://www.justonecookbook.com/recipes/ ... low-cooker

See the Instant Pot/pressure cooker recipes. I haven't really used any of their recipes though because I usually just use Instant Pot to make bone broth or to prepare tender meat for further cooking on stovetop.

I would also recommend to browse through pinterest. Tons of good recipes on pinterest.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2396 posts
678 upvotes
Scarborough
zhiccup wrote:
Nov 26th, 2016 11:25 pm
http://nomnompaleo.net/recipeindex/#_=_
http://www.justonecookbook.com/recipes/ ... low-cooker

See the Instant Pot/pressure cooker recipes. I haven't really used any of their recipes though because I usually just use Instant Pot to make bone broth or to prepare tender meat for further cooking on stovetop.

I would also recommend to browse through pinterest. Tons of good recipes on pinterest.
Great links I love that the OP thought of this. Pinterest is indeed a great way of finding more recipes and also remember to search through Reddit.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5456 posts
1162 upvotes
Markham
You can make any stew or braise in the instant pot... Great thing is it takes less than one hour to fully cook it.

I've made Osso bucco, beef goulash, red cooked beef/pork, chicken pho, Vietnamese bo kho, beef stew, pork chili Verde, lamb shanks, Jamaican oxtail, bolognese sauce, tonkotsu Ramen broth, chicken or beef broth, .... And so on.

There's a Facebook group who discuss recipes for instant pot you should also check out
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Oct 6, 2008
76 posts
19 upvotes
Winnipeg
Reviving this thread since Instant pots seem to be more widely used now.
Any good recipes out there that aren't stews or soups?
We have a toddler at home so it doesn't leave much time to prep so any recipes where you can just throw things in with minimal prep would be awesome!
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1292 posts
558 upvotes
Jtu85 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 4:40 pm
Reviving this thread since Instant pots seem to be more widely used now.
Any good recipes out there that aren't stews or soups?
We have a toddler at home so it doesn't leave much time to prep so any recipes where you can just throw things in with minimal prep would be awesome!

I just got my pot a couple of months ago and love it. What kind of things do you normally eat. I have found most recipes can be adjusted for the instant pot.

I have found generally things that don’t need to be ‘crispy’ work well, especially things that normally need to be cooked for a long time. I have seen less benefit for those things that alread6 have short cooking times.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Dec 28, 2010
366 posts
45 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
There are so many models, which one is the best value to get for starters and a family of 5 ?
Dec 14, 2010
434 posts
108 upvotes
I second http://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/. All the recipes I've tried have been delicious and really easy to follow.

Baby back ribs take the least time for me and are my favourite! I've combined a few recipes and go by this now:
-remove membrane and season with dry rub
-pour 3/4 cup chicken broth and 1/4 cup apple juice into pot
-place trivet inside pot
-put ribs inside for high pressure 22 minutes, let it natural release
-remove ribs and slather bbq sauce on them
-optional: place ribs in the oven with the broiler to get the sauce caramelized and sticky

injuredcold wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 11:09 am
There are so many models, which one is the best value to get for starters and a family of 5 ?
I got my instant pot during the Black Friday sales and have fallen in love! There is a learning period and some things might not actually be that much of a time saver but being able to set it and forget it is what's so great about it for me. Their website has a comparison chart of all the models at https://instantpot.com/wp-content/uploa ... 7-2017.pdf.

Based on your family size you may want to go with the 8 quart. Most recipes online are for the 6 quart but I've read that they should work the same in an 8 quart. Keep in mind that even if your model doesn't have a preset program for something like cake, it can still be done through manual mode and you just input the time yourself. I have a 6 quart duo and bought that over the lux just because the price difference wasn't that large so it justified paying little bit more for the detachable cord and lid holder slot.
Oct 6, 2008
76 posts
19 upvotes
Winnipeg
Macx2mommy wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 10:47 am
I just got my pot a couple of months ago and love it. What kind of things do you normally eat. I have found most recipes can be adjusted for the instant pot.

I have found generally things that don’t need to be ‘crispy’ work well, especially things that normally need to be cooked for a long time. I have seen less benefit for those things that alread6 have short cooking times.
Unfortunately my wife is a slightly picky eater who once was vegetarian but I slowly coerced back to eating meat but she's selective. She will eat most chicken dishes but very little pork. Beef and seafood are out of the question which really limits what I can make. We have tried making mac and cheese in the instant pot but I didn't like the consistency of the pasta. Seemed over cooked and not very al dente. I could probably adjust the cooking time though.

I did notice a recipe for chicken teriyaki and rice that I'd definitely like to try out and one for carnitas. The majority of recipes seem to be soups or stews though which is difficult with a toddler and having to cool the entire dish before she can eat it.
Jul 31, 2008
257 posts
73 upvotes
Markham
berieberie wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 11:54 am
I second http://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/. All the recipes I've tried have been delicious and really easy to follow.

Baby back ribs take the least time for me and are my favourite! I've combined a few recipes and go by this now:
I am a rib snob, and decided to try a recipe very similar to yours (I like your chicken broth idea).

They probably come in fourth on my list of ways to make ribs (smoker/charcoal, propane, a 4 hour oven version).
However, the insta pot version tastes wayyyy better than it ever should (and much better than crock pot versions I have tried).
Minimal prep and you can easily make them after work. It still amazes me.

I would finish in the oven for sure. I was able to get two full racks into the cooker no problem.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1292 posts
558 upvotes
Jtu85 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:49 pm
Unfortunately my wife is a slightly picky eater who once was vegetarian but I slowly coerced back to eating meat but she's selective. She will eat most chicken dishes but very little pork. Beef and seafood are out of the question which really limits what I can make. We have tried making mac and cheese in the instant pot but I didn't like the consistency of the pasta. Seemed over cooked and not very al dente. I could probably adjust the cooking time though.

I did notice a recipe for chicken teriyaki and rice that I'd definitely like to try out and one for carnitas. The majority of recipes seem to be soups or stews though which is difficult with a toddler and having to cool the entire dish before she can eat it.
I haven’t done pasta yet, as I could imagine it will be mushy if done too long.

For chicken, i was really impressed with the abilty to ‘roast a chicken in less than an hour. I took a whole chicken, seasoned it, stuffed with aromatics, I browned it ipon all sides using t(he sauté feature, then lifted it on to the rack, added some chicken stock, and pressure cooked for 25 minutes. I probably could have done it for 20 min using the natural pressure release. It was moist and tender. Then the next day, I made chicken soup using the left overs

I have made ribs, and chicken wings (7 minutes) then brown under the oven, Chicken pot pie
Really anything you make normally can be adjusted for the instant pot. You use it to do the majority of the cook8ng then finish in the oven.

I really like using it for eggs, beans, soups and stews though. Stews and soups ar the best things for toddler. Cooling should be easy. Add an ice cube, milk, handful of frozen veggies depending on what you are cooking. Lots of ways to cool food quickly.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Dec 14, 2010
434 posts
108 upvotes
Jtu85 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:49 pm

Many beef or pork recipes can be converted into chicken recipes. I recently made the Mississippi pot roast and people commented that they used chicken instead and that it turned out fantastic. I've seen lots of people rave about crack chicken so maybe that's one you can try?

mdl.tor wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 2:42 pm
I am a rib snob, and decided to try a recipe very similar to yours (I like your chicken broth idea).

They probably come in fourth on my list of ways to make ribs (smoker/charcoal, propane, a 4 hour oven version).
However, the insta pot version tastes wayyyy better than it ever should (and much better than crock pot versions I have tried).
Minimal prep and you can easily make them after work. It still amazes me.

I would finish in the oven for sure. I was able to get two full racks into the cooker no problem.
I know right! I was skeptical about ribs coming from a pressure cooker but they were sooo good! I would love to do them in a bbq/smoker but live in an apartment so that's a no go. We usually do two full racks as well. Picked up a bottle of sriracha and roasted garlic bbq sauce from trader joe's the last time I went down to Buffalo and it's been awesome.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2005
2509 posts
1210 upvotes
Toronto
berieberie wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 4:01 pm
I know right! I was skeptical about ribs coming from a pressure cooker but they were sooo good! ..
It all depends on the persons' preference on making ribs. Some boil on stovetop while others do a dry rub and throw it on the bbq on slow heat. The instant pot/pressure cooker just helps to speed up the cooking time on the stove top. I've had them both ways and they are both very good!