• Feb 3rd, 2019 10:49 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
13364 posts
1958 upvotes
Toronto

Please suggest good Probiotics to boost the immune system

Having gone through several rounds of antibiotics, I am looking to build up the good bacteria in my body and boost the immune system. I heard that probiotics is one way of doing so.

Searching the web, I came across this brand and product: http://www.renewlife.ca/products/ultima ... e-support/

Has anyone used this and can comment on it? Are there others that are better?

Thanks

Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9514 posts
1551 upvotes
Toronto
I would suggest you go visit a Naturalpath doctor.

They would be very good at finding out what you need and recommend things. Some work insurance also covers this.

If that's too expensive, go to the Naturalpath school. Their clinic is cheaper like $30/ visit. 1 hr long.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
5463 posts
1126 upvotes
Richmond Hill
my naturopath sells me NFH branded products
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10055 posts
1530 upvotes
Try Bio K. At the very least, get some Danactive drinks, they are clinically tested. If you are still on antibiotics, makes sure no antibiotics 2 hours before/after.
hightech wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 9:26 am
Having gone through several rounds of antibiotics, I am looking to build up the good bacteria in my body and boost the immune system. I heard that probiotics is one way of doing so.

Searching the web, I came across this brand and product: http://www.renewlife.ca/products/ultima ... e-support/

Thanks
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10055 posts
1530 upvotes
Align is fine for your purpose.
hightech wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 8:01 am
I ended up taking extra strength Align. Thanks everyone
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28842 posts
14651 upvotes
Ottawa
hightech wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 8:01 am
I ended up taking extra strength Align. Thanks everyone
Try BioGaia next time you're in Costco.
Jan 19, 2017
291 posts
83 upvotes
hightech wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 9:26 am

Thanks
food for thought: https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/09 ... your-guts/
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7464 posts
2682 upvotes
Markham
Instead of taking a pill why not try "the old school" and eat foods to diversify your gut.

Stuff like Yogurt, Kefir, fermented Kimchi etc. I know there are articles that kind of refute these foods but I think they may come from the pill people.

Beyond probiotics, how bout eating more fibre, etc.

A simple pill is not the way to go in my opinion. If it were that simple, we'd all be living forever.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Sep 15, 2014
116 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto, ON
try jarrow probiotic 30 or 50 billion
they work well
Aug 25, 2006
198 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
Watch the netflix show "A User's Guide to Cheating Death" and watch the "Germs" episode. It debunks probiotic supplements. Premise is your body has a natural equilibrium and trying to add stuff to you gut biome via probiotics is myth. Host goes on a trial by taking all sorts of supplements to boost his level of probiotics in gut and it did nothing in the end.

Scientists and doc's on show actually stated that after taking antibiotics that it is actually bad to take probiotics as they may actually delay gut bacteria from returning to normal.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10055 posts
1530 upvotes
You know that is only a TV show, right? Do you know the sample size of the "test" that the "scientists and docs" are referring to? I mean, fecal transplant may be a better option if you want a more natural way. I would treat any TV show as another piece of info but always get your answer from medical professionals.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3278944/
dbracer wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 4:56 pm
Watch the netflix show "A User's Guide to Cheating Death" and watch the "Germs" episode. It debunks probiotic supplements. Premise is your body has a natural equilibrium and trying to add stuff to you gut biome via probiotics is myth. Host goes on a trial by taking all sorts of supplements to boost his level of probiotics in gut and it did nothing in the end.

Scientists and doc's on show actually stated that after taking antibiotics that it is actually bad to take probiotics as they may actually delay gut bacteria from returning to normal.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13317 posts
1641 upvotes
Mississauga
Gut biome changes with what you eat.

Eat less processed food = better balance. Try eating yogurt, sauerkraut, sweet potatoes, potatoes, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7847 posts
4802 upvotes
dbracer wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 4:56 pm

Yikes Netflix’s...