• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2016 10:24 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 4, 2013
203 posts
13 upvotes

please is there a part time law school in Canada

I have a Bachelor of Engineering and a Masters degree. I am looking to become a part time lawyer or law lecturer; immigration law and corporate law.

Is there a part time law school in Canada that I can attend? Online law school perhaps or even one in the US that you know of?

Thanks?
18 replies
Dec 11, 2013
817 posts
911 upvotes
Toronto
If you want to be a lecturer, enroll at the school you'd like to lecture at and make an impression.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6241 posts
708 upvotes
sexyboi wrote: I have a Bachelor of Engineering and a Masters degree. I am looking to become a part time lawyer or law lecturer; immigration law and corporate law.

Is there a part time law school in Canada that I can attend? Online law school perhaps or even one in the US that you know of?

Thanks?
Why not just stick to engineering?

Frankly, law is an all or nothing profession. You either dedicate your career to it, or you decide it's not for you and you cut your losses and move on.

Not to sound rude, but if you want a part time job, apply to Best Buy.

Law school is three years full time; around five to six years part time. Some law schools in Canada will allow their students to attend law school on a part time basis, but this is reserved for exceptional circumstances. Exceptional circumstances isn't "because I want to practice law on the side when I'm not engineering stuff". Think "I'm a city councilor", "I'm an MP", "I run a small business that employs a number of people and without me there most of the time it will go bankrupt".

Sessional lecturers at law school are almost always full time practicing lawyers ranging from a few years at the bar to decades at the bar. They typically lecture on an area of law that they practice. Criminal lawyers will teach criminal law or criminal procedure, personal injury lawyers will teach tort law, corporate lawyers will teach contract law or civil procedure, etc. If you want to become an actual professor (as opposed to just a sessional), you'll almost certainly need to do more school other than just your JD; you'll need to do an LLM in addition to a JSD, and even then it's no guarantee.

If you're unhappy being an engineer and want to try law out, that's fine, but you've got to go all in.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
4117 posts
1216 upvotes
Not that I think it'd be worth it but he could also use a law degree to teach an intro or business law course at a community college or maybe a civ pro type course at one of those private colleges for aspiring law clerks/paralegals... He wouldn't even need to get called for that and might be able to find a part time US school that suits his purpose...
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
248 upvotes
sexyboi wrote: I have a Bachelor of Engineering and a Masters degree. I am looking to become a part time lawyer or law lecturer; immigration law and corporate law.

Thanks?
In the U.S., as far as Professor positions go, there are barely any openings. Law professor is one of the best jobs you can get with a JD. You get the nice pay and benefits of a good law job, without the long hours, competition and more secure benefits. There is really no need for "guest lecturers."

There are however visiting professors or adjuncts. They usually teach specialty courses such as Legal Writing or Trial Advocacy, stuff that the regular Professors might not be good at or have as high an expertise in. They tend to seek Professors with 10 years of experience writing briefs, memos and have spent years in court. They're visiting or adjuncts because they might only teach this 1 class at the school and spend their other time working, or it's a cushy retirement job for them.

Not sure about Canada, but in the U.S. if you want to teach, the law school you choose will have a significant impact. Unless you attended 1 of 25 or so universities, you won't have much of a "national" reach. The universities in the Top 50 are all expensive unless you can score a scholarship. Going part time doesn't change this. And you're really missing out on the whole point of attending these schools -- for the network.

If you didn't attend 1 of these 25 or so schools, then the smart choice would be to go to a public university where the tuition is far cheaper. If you choose this option, you'll probably be limited to teaching at that school, State or region (for instance, the southwest, northwest). But that's after you've gained good experience.

Also, "corporate law" is very broad. It's not really a thing, there's no class called "corporate law." It's a term college and high school kids say when they meet with a school recruiter and they think Suits. If you ask someone to define "corporate law", they have no clue what they mean. Some people think income tax law, others mean commercial litigation, others mean business entities. Some kids think it means any in-house job at a Fortune 500 company. A lot of people think it means anything but criminal or divorce. But I can't recall ever meeting a Lawyer who says they do "corporate law."

It's like people who go into law school saying they want to do "international law." They end up super disappointed.
Not that I think it'd be worth it but he could also use a law degree to teach an intro or business law course at a community college or maybe a civ pro type course at one of those private colleges for aspiring law clerks/paralegals...
A law clerk already is either getting or has their JD. A law clerk definitely has taken civil procedure.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
4117 posts
1216 upvotes
Corner3 wrote: A law clerk already is either getting or has their JD.
Not likely, at least not in Ontario.
Corner3 wrote: A law clerk definitely has taken civil procedure.
Yeah, that they took at the community/private college.
Mar 11, 2012
338 posts
51 upvotes
Octavius wrote: Why not just stick to engineering?

Frankly, law is an all or nothing profession. You either dedicate your career to it, or you decide it's not for you and you cut your losses and move on.

Not to sound rude, but if you want a part time job, apply to Best Buy.

Law school is three years full time; around five to six years part time. Some law schools in Canada will allow their students to attend law school on a part time basis, but this is reserved for exceptional circumstances. Exceptional circumstances isn't "because I want to practice law on the side when I'm not engineering stuff". Think "I'm a city councilor", "I'm an MP", "I run a small business that employs a number of people and without me there most of the time it will go bankrupt".

Sessional lecturers at law school are almost always full time practicing lawyers ranging from a few years at the bar to decades at the bar. They typically lecture on an area of law that they practice. Criminal lawyers will teach criminal law or criminal procedure, personal injury lawyers will teach tort law, corporate lawyers will teach contract law or civil procedure, etc. If you want to become an actual professor (as opposed to just a sessional), you'll almost certainly need to do more school other than just your JD; you'll need to do an LLM in addition to a JSD, and even then it's no guarantee.

If you're unhappy being an engineer and want to try law out, that's fine, but you've got to go all in.
This. It is extremely rare that a lawyer works part-time. I have only met one thus far, and I must have met at least 150 lawyers by now (I am still green in this field).
random pattern wrote: Not likely, at least not in Ontario.

Yeah, that they took at the community/private college.
I think Corner3 is referring to clerks of the courts when he says law clerks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_clerk . They are typically known as judicial clerks in Canada.
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
248 upvotes
Why are there people here giving advice on the legal field when they don't even know what a Law Clerk is?
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
4117 posts
1216 upvotes
Shunshin wrote: This. It is extremely rare that a lawyer works part-time. I have only met one thus far, and I must have met at least 150 lawyers by now (I am still green in this field).

I think Corner3 is referring to clerks of the courts when he says law clerks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_clerk . They are typically known as judicial clerks in Canada.
Agreed - part-time is relatively rare. I know a few, all women. One at a seven sister firm, one in-house, and one sole practioner who practises from her home. The ones I know do it for child rearing reasons, though on the other hand, the vast majority of female lawyers I know (kids or no kids) practise full time...
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
248 upvotes
No, that's a court clerk/legal clerk/paralegal. That is not a law or judicial clerk. As someone else already linked, a law/judicial clerk most often than not has a JD (and has a Lawyer's grasp of civil or criminal procedure).

Seneca does not get to determine positions of the court.

Example: Schools like Seneca can call a networking administrator a networking engineer, that does not make them an engineer. Schools like SAIT can call their boiler technician program power engineering, that does not mean they take engineering level math.

If you call a law or judicial clerk a paralegal, they will definitely know you have no clue what you're talking about.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
4117 posts
1216 upvotes
Corner3 wrote: No, that's a court clerk/legal clerk/paralegal. That is not a law or judicial clerk. As someone else already linked, a law/judicial clerk most often than not has a JD (and has a Lawyer's grasp of civil or criminal procedure).

Seneca does not get to determine positions of the court.

Example: Schools like Seneca can call a networking administrator a networking engineer, that does not make them an engineer. Schools like SAIT can call their boiler technician program power engineering, that does not mean they take engineering level math.

If you call a law or judicial clerk a paralegal, they will definitely know you have no clue what you're talking about.
Nice try, but no. I referred specifically to law clerks/paralegals, not judicial clerks. In Ontario, the term "law clerk" has a specific connotation, and that is a member of the Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario (ILCO). The Law Society of Upper Canada - you know the governing body for lawyers in Ontario - permits use of the term to members of ILCO. The ILCO educational program is offered at community colleges across the province and does not require a JD, nor an LLB.

If there was any ambiguity to the term "law clerk", you should have realized with the addition of the word "paralegal" what was being referred to. So perhaps we now, "definitely know you have no clue what you're talking about".

http://www.ilco.on.ca/about-ilco/about-us/who-we-are

By the way, does Seneca have a networking engineer program?
http://www.senecacollege.ca/fulltime/CNS.html

Does SAIT have a power engineering program?
http://www.sait.ca/programs-and-courses ... erview.php
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
248 upvotes
Lawyers not from Ontario do not care what Lawyers from Ontario think. They are at best secondary to the US and they know it. (Changing the name of their law degrees to match).

http://work.chron.com/difference-betwee ... 11274.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_clerk
Aug 27, 2012
592 posts
1172 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
random pattern wrote: If there was any ambiguity to the term "law clerk", you should have realized with the addition of the word "paralegal" what was being referred to.
And in Ontario, paralegals are licensed, governed by the Law Society, and can practice certain areas of law, like lawyers...
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
4117 posts
1216 upvotes
Corner3 wrote: Lawyers not from Ontario do not care what Lawyers from Ontario think. They are at best secondary to the US and they know it. (Changing the name of their law degrees to match).

We're sorry (not really) that you couldn't establish a legal career in Canada but we may (operative word being "may") have something for you here as a law clerk. :)

And perhaps you should post your drivel on an American site rather than a Canadian one.
Mar 10, 2009
45 posts
8 upvotes
This is Red Flag Deals, not red white and blue flag deals. I am a lawyer. In my office we have a number of law clerks, none of whom went to law school. I have friends who clerked as part of, or in place of their articles. They were never called "law clerks" however.
Corner3 wrote: Lawyers not from Ontario do not care what Lawyers from Ontario think. They are at best secondary to the US and they know it. (Changing the name of their law degrees to match).

Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5550 posts
2221 upvotes
Thread nominated for most lost OP, Q1 2016
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)