Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Plex

Plex Pass $89.99US (25% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2018 3:42 am
Tags:
Mar 31, 2017
653 posts
636 upvotes
I removed previously added home user and send invite again. Mean while my son was logged-in in his app with his own email address on which I sent invite. From invite email when I clicked “I accept” browser opened and display icon of me and my son’s ID, I clicked on my ID and enter 4 digit pin which I set while creating home user. Than I opened app and it seems it got activated. Now I am ending up with one more trouble, whenever I am opening plex on my shield I have to select user and enter pin. Extra pain of saving 6$. Will work with this till I figure out further solution.

Thanks everyone for support and open to suggestions
alpovs wrote: Here they have a distinction between "managed users" and "regular Plex Accounts that are invited": https://support.plex.tv/articles/203960 ... plex-home/

Maybe in order to skip the $6 activation the user has to be "managed"... But reading further it seems that a "managed user" doesn't have their own account and has to use the main account to sign in (designed for kids).

So it seems what you are doing should work. I will be doing the same soon. That's why I am interested.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7027 upvotes
Gatineau
Capindy wrote: I removed previously added home user and send invite again. Mean while my son was logged-in in his app with his own email address on which I sent invite. From invite email when I clicked “I accept” browser opened and display icon of me and my son’s ID, I clicked on my ID and enter 4 digit pin which I set while creating home user. Than I opened app and it seems it got activated. Now I am ending up with one more trouble, whenever I am opening plex on my shield I have to select user and enter pin. Extra pain of saving 6$. Will work with this till I figure out further solution.

Thanks everyone for support and open to suggestions
There should be a setting for "automatic sign in" so that you do not need to keep signing in with the PIN..

Djino
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
When did Plex move to Switzerland? I thought they were in California.

It's even more complicated. They are a Swiss company with an affiliate in California called a Delaware company. They list the following:
This privacy policy governs services provided by Plex GmbH, a Swiss company, and its affiliates, including Plex, Inc., a Delaware company (together, “Plex”).
Plex GmbH, Hansmatt 32, 6370 Stans, Nidwalden, Switzerland
Plex Inc, 449 N Santa Cruz Ave, Los Gatos, CA 95030
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
3067 posts
1220 upvotes
If i have the nvidia shield. Do i need to subscribe to this for hardware encoding?
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
3401 posts
715 upvotes
Toronto
Special devices
Specific embedded devices support Hardware-Accelerated Streaming:

NVIDIA SHIELD
WD My Cloud Pro PR2100
WD My Cloud Pro PR4100

Tip!: On these specific devices, a Plex Pass subscription is not required. Hardware-Accelerated Streaming is turned on by default for everyone on these devices.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
3401 posts
715 upvotes
Toronto
Phat_cow wrote: If i have the nvidia shield. Do i need to subscribe to this for hardware encoding?
You don't have to.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2012
1733 posts
727 upvotes
Toronto
thanks OP, Code still works, Go Go Go
Simple is the best.
Jan 6, 2004
49 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
Oogarr wrote: FreeNAS 11.2 running the built-in "RancherOS" virtual machine. With a few tweaks, switched it over to a Unbuntu console and got docker-compose successfully running. Each piece of the puzzle lives in a separate container. Sonarr/Radarr/Lidarr for TV/Movie/Music grabbing - shoots it over to NZBGet for downloading, all post-processing handled automatically and files placed in FreeNAS NFS shares.

Traefik handles the reverse proxy so I can serve Ombi (Plex requests) to friends and family. No more "hey can you download this/that/whatever" anymore. All automatic. Jdownloader/DelugeVPN/NZBHydra2 are backup in-case I need to reach out manually to grab something specific. DelugeVPN is pretty sweet in that the container directly connects through to your PIA VPN account, with Privoxy built in.

Tautilli for statistics on Plex usage, Duplicati backs up key config files directly to onedrive, Nextcloud+Mariadb+phpmyadmin for personal cloud, Unifi handles WiFi APs at home, pihole for whole-home adblocking. Lastly, Heimdall (see attached) makes for a pretty homepage and easy access to all services.

Here is the resource I used to help take it to the next level.
Impressive! What kind of hardware are you running your FreeNAS on?
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2014
1165 posts
979 upvotes
Ottawa
So glad to find PLEX pros on here. Been struggling with a problem that’s been holding back my use of it.

I recently started looking into Plex and have two media servers. One is mine running off a QNAP TS-451 and another is a friend elsewhere with a huge media library. I use the PLEX app on the PS4 and the one that came on my SMsung TV.

Watching content with subtitles is important for me so I can run on a treadmill and not crank up the volume but I find soon as I turn of subtitles it buffers and stutters and makes it unwatchable. I’ve turned down the video and sound quality to the lowest to sacrifice quality for content but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. I’m surprised my local content would struggle and I’m had some content work fine while others just keeps buffering every few seconds.

I’m using the free subscription because I wanted to try it out but I’d happily upgrade if I could get this feature. My local content on VLC is fine, and the subtitles are both part of the file (English PGX) or noted as English external.

Anyone know what part of my setup is causing me grief?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
bobbyz101 wrote: So glad to find PLEX pros on here. Been struggling with a problem that’s been holding back my use of it.

I recently started looking into Plex and have two media servers. One is mine running off a QNAP TS-451 and another is a friend elsewhere with a huge media library. I use the PLEX app on the PS4 and the one that came on my SMsung TV.

Watching content with subtitles is important for me so I can run on a treadmill and not crank up the volume but I find soon as I turn of subtitles it buffers and stutters and makes it unwatchable. I’ve turned down the video and sound quality to the lowest to sacrifice quality for content but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. I’m surprised my local content would struggle and I’m had some content work fine while others just keeps buffering every few seconds.

I’m using the free subscription because I wanted to try it out but I’d happily upgrade if I could get this feature. My local content on VLC is fine, and the subtitles are both part of the file (English PGX) or noted as English external.

Anyone know what part of my setup is causing me grief?
PGS subtitles utilize more hardware acceleration as opposed to SRT subtitles files.

PGS are bitmap images, and SRT is just text.

Plex now supports the add on called Subzero, which runs in the background and will download subtitles for all your libraries once installed.

That should take care of your subtitle issues since it will go out download SRT files and not PGS.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2014
1165 posts
979 upvotes
Ottawa
rebel_rfd wrote: PGS subtitles utilize more hardware acceleration as opposed to SRT subtitles files.

PGS are bitmap images, and SRT is just text.

Plex now supports the add on called Subzero, which runs in the background and will download subtitles for all your libraries once installed.

That should take care of your subtitle issues since it will go out download SRT files and not PGS.
Awesome. I will try to both find a video with SRT and get subzero to see if it makes things better
Nov 27, 2014
17 posts
3 upvotes
Kanata, ON
Absolutely brilliant!! I was literally just thinking of finally getting the Plex Pass. Code still works now and has come at the perfect time for me!! Thanks OP!
Apr 16, 2017
428 posts
414 upvotes
Toronto
Super overkill, was decommissed from company's rack in data center - Norco 4224, 128gb DDR3 RAM, 2x Xeon 2570, 24x2tb HDD, 2x240gb SSD cache, 2x60gb SSD slog, 1x1tb SSD for VMs
Jan 6, 2004
49 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
Oogarr wrote: Super overkill, was decommissed from company's rack in data center - Norco 4224, 128gb DDR3 RAM, 2x Xeon 2570, 24x2tb HDD, 2x240gb SSD cache, 2x60gb SSD slog, 1x1tb SSD for VMs
Astonished Face
Your hardware specs are equally, if not more impressive than the VMs you have running on your Freenas box!