Expired Hot Deals

[Plex] Plex Pass - Lifetime Subscription $159.99 CAD (20% off) but now with PLEX TV!!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2017 7:37 am
[OP]
May 8, 2005
365 posts
154 upvotes
Ottawa

Plex Pass - Lifetime Subscription $159.99 CAD (20% off) but now with PLEX TV!!

Price:
Savings:
20% Off
Retailer:
Plex
So got an email today from Plex telling me that they now have PLEX TV, all the live shows and stuff I get with my regular TV but I can now access anytime, anywhere and record and playback at my convenience. It is available for all Plex Pass users. If this is anywhere close to the $80/mth package I am paying for my Bell Sat subscription......$160 Cdn for lifetime of free TV would be AWESOME!!!! I mostly get if for the sports and Plex is saying sporting events included!

This may be even better than skinny TV with Bell/Rogers as you would be in the clear after about 10-12 months! Right now it is currently 20% off for the lifetime membership.

I use their free service for my movie collection and it is great!

https://www.plex.tv/features/plex-pass/

If anyone has any insight, please share. I will do some more digging before pulling the trigger.
217 replies
[OP]
May 8, 2005
365 posts
154 upvotes
Ottawa
Crap just found out it is more like the ability to stream free OTA HD signals ONLY, not cable TV type stuff.
Feb 18, 2013
650 posts
1149 upvotes
...so you posted this as a "Hot Deal" before researching? Plex Live TV/PVR is just functionality that allows you to record live TV that you receive via antenna. They are not providing sports streams of any sorts - it just allows you to record the free OTA (over the air) antenna TV channels in your area.

Feb 23, 2004
258 posts
20 upvotes
Plex Live TV will require a digital tuner + antenna connected to your PC or router before it would work.
It is not some live streaming files that is built-in with the Plex Media streaming contents.
Oct 15, 2009
294 posts
47 upvotes
dundeal wrote:
Jun 1st, 2017 2:36 pm
For the time and money you spend to setup plex and the quality you get .. Plex is highly overrated. The only decent Plex utility imo is the plex server to stream files from laptop to tv.
Curious where you came to this conclusion? Especially with reference to what quality you get... Personally we use our plex server daily to access our media on all of our TV's and iPad's. It's also come in handy a bunch when travelling to still have access to all of our media remotely.

I bought the Plex Pass when they selectively offered it at half off (paid $99 CAD) a while ago and have been more than happy. Only use a couple of the features so far, but more than happy to support the devs. Though doubt the Live TV feature will be of much use to me.
Aug 24, 2005
245 posts
28 upvotes
tmlfan3 wrote:
Jun 1st, 2017 2:41 pm
Curious where you came to this conclusion? Especially with reference to what quality you get... Personally we use our plex server daily to access our media on all of our TV's and iPad's. It's also come in handy a bunch when travelling to still have access to all of our media remotely.

I bought the Plex Pass when they selectively offered it at half off (paid $99 CAD) a while ago and have been more than happy. Only use a couple of the features so far, but more than happy to support the devs. Though doubt the Live TV feature will be of much use to me.
I wish they'd offer it for $99 again, I'd jump on that in a second!
[OP]
May 8, 2005
365 posts
154 upvotes
Ottawa
Yeah I did! 20% off is still pretty good for the lifetime membership! TV part was a bonus. My immediate and extended family use it daily!!! Don't mind supporting the developers and I have been using a great product for free for well over a year now. This app has made managing my +20 TB of media easy-peasy!
Last edited by hebdo27 on Jun 1st, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 16, 2005
439 posts
102 upvotes
Hamilton
Yeah I saw this feature before, and if I had a good OTA signal it might be good, but without that, it's not for me.

I do love Plex, though. For the long weekend, I had 3 kids all streaming their own shows to their own devices with their own headphones all over a poor 3G data signal from my phone to my server at home with no issues. It was great.
Oct 2, 2011
89 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
The lifetime Subscription of Plex is the best investment I did. And the Plex DVR support live TV now, not only recording but watch TV live.
Aug 14, 2009
164 posts
94 upvotes
Very happy Plex enthusiast and lifetime sub holder here. I've got a local server and one in the cloud. I and my family/friends use them extensively. It's kinda like your own personal Netflix.

I've used the DVR functionality since beta, haven't tried the Live TV yet, just been using HDHomeRun apps for Xbox, Android, etc. They keep adding more features to make it even more useful; hoping they keep it up!
Aug 27, 2013
301 posts
120 upvotes
Another happy paying Plex Pass member here... Got in at $74.99 USD 3 years ago. Glad to support quality software. And hope they don't get bought out by the big guys!
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
13968 posts
3068 upvotes
Unfortunately, their device compatibility list is very limited. If you are a US resident, a cablecard and computer setup is the way to go. Using a Homerun device is very limited in most areas of the country (USA) other than large markets as OTA may be severely limited. It's that way with Canada too. For all you folks living in places like TO or Vancouver with lots of OTA channels there are also tons of people living in places with few or no OTA channels. Here in Thunder Bay, we get 3, so the Plex DVR or streaming options are very limited. Wish they would allow you to stream via things like the Hauppage capture boxes but they want to stay legit, so I doubt it's possible. Those in the know though know you can do it with Streameez and other software using a Hauppage capture box and other devices hooked up to your system.
Nov 16, 2008
256 posts
60 upvotes
dundeal wrote:
Jun 1st, 2017 2:36 pm
For the time and money you spend to setup plex and the quality you get .. Plex is highly overrated. The only decent Plex utility imo is the plex server to stream files from laptop to tv.
I've been wanting to support Plex many times, but let's face it, their support is HORRIFIC.

The server is pretty good and it does mostly everything I need it to, but beyond that the Android Plex app (which I paid for) is really not so great... constant issues, which I cannot get support for so really why should I support a company that doesn't offer support.

For the amount I use Plex (few and far between for streaming to the odd Chromecast device), it works fine as is. If they would offer a dedicated support channel I might consider it but I see nothing that points to that even if you are a pass member.
Jul 7, 2009
315 posts
79 upvotes
I use Plex to organize my movies and TV series, and stream them to my devices, and for the most part I enjoy it.

However, let's make 1 thing clear. While Plex has a user-friendly UI and app, the "Plex pass" does not include any content. Unlike Netflix or amazon prime, the $6.99 monthly (or $159 life time) doesn't buy you any streaming content. It only buys you additional features to record, stream and store contents that are either yours to begin with, or are free available OTA.

That's a pretty stiff price to pay for just features and app imo.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
1010 posts
573 upvotes
Langley, BC
after using Kodi once, I'll never go back to Plex... or downloading ;)