Students

Pls: Grade 10 or 11 for international student?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2018 11:31 am
[OP]
Apr 30, 2018
28 posts
2 upvotes

Pls: Grade 10 or 11 for international student?

Hi everyone,

my friend's daughter expect to apply for international student to Ontario. Her birthday is 2002.12.31, and she will be in Grade 10's 1st semester in this September in China. And she wants to apply for the 2nd semester of Grade 10 in Ontario. But, she was told she can only take Grade 11, instead of Grade 10 here in Ontario. If so, she will miss her 2nd semester of Grade 10 and 1st semester of Grade 11.

Anyone met this kind of situation, or have comments on this?

Thanks in advance!
James
8 replies
Jun 4, 2018
1 posts
Ontario
I'm just a student but I don't know if switching in the middle of a grade is that feasible because you might miss credits and such. Can't she finish Grade 10 in China and then go to Ontario and start Grade 11?
Jun 10, 2015
262 posts
47 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Why doesn't she just finish HS there and apply to University after?

I hear it is easy to cheat and get good grades. She can do that as opposed to fighting for grades here and suffering (poor english grades for example).

EDIT:

Just realized this post can be construed negatively. Not intended to be. I'm genuinely curious.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3282 posts
2230 upvotes
howdydo wrote:
Jul 31st, 2018 6:59 am
Why doesn't she just finish HS there and apply to University after?

I hear it is easy to cheat and get good grades. She can do that as opposed to fighting for grades here and suffering (poor english grades for example).

EDIT:

Just realized this post can be construed negatively. Not intended to be. I'm genuinely curious.
Never heard that before... Quite the opposite.. I thought it's super competitive in Chinese schools... So much so that students resort to cheating to just have a fighting chance to make it into a university.

Most parents who can afford it want to send their kids to international schools so they have a better chance at life.
[OP]
Apr 30, 2018
28 posts
2 upvotes
WaddleDee,howdydo,superfresh89: Thanks for your advices!
Jul 29, 2007
457 posts
135 upvotes
North America
Has your friend decided on this yet, is the daughter the only child? My recommendation is to have the student study in China until they graduate High School. If they want a running start or a head start in learning English or get into a college or university in Canada, they can do some preparation through online classes, using other media or resources available.

I have another question, does the student want a college degree in Canada or just a degree overseas? Most people I know, they want their children brought up and educated well, with foreign experience. Some send them to Australia, Canada, New Zealand, USA, UK or expensive private schools in their own respective country that teach in English.

There are several factors involved: Cost, is it cheaper to just finish their education in China? Rather than paying outrageous international student fees, that money can be used for their post-secondary college/university education instead.

Ease: It's actually easier for international students to get into universities AFTER they have graduated from high school from their respective country. They apply as international students to colleges or universities as long as they've met the requirements.

Speed: The speed to finish, online education has mushroomed over the last few years. Canadian institutions do not offer many online programs, only TRU OL and Athabasca U provide "online degrees". Royal Roads provides a mix of on-campus and online education. The USA has the most options, for an incredible price point as well.

If the student wishes to study and obtain a USA degree, it is even possible now to do so from anywhere in the world, including where they're currently residing - there will not be a need to be paying international education rates. Online education may seem inferior, but many Ivy League providers are now offering courses exclusively through other means.

What I have recommended in the past is to have the student do the following: Go to a public school NOT a private school in their country. Use the money saved to get advanced standing by taking courses online at schools in the USA. This does two things, it helps them finish their education in the home country and gets them prepared for post-secondary education if they decide to go to Canada/USA for a Bachelors degree. In fact, I mainly recommend international students to come over if they are starting their Masters or a professional program.

If you want a further recommendation of How to get a Cheap/Easy/Fast education in Canada. Look at doing them online from Regionally Accredited institutions in the USA. That is the gold standard of recognition. Private Message me if you or your friend want to know more details.
Best RFD Purchases: Flight Deals, Cell/Laptops/Tablets, Clothing/Shoes.
Thanks to RFD for helping me with spending money, I feel so poor now!
Jan 4, 2018
17 posts
34 upvotes
Hi James,

Which district school board is the child applying to as every school board rules are different? My suggestion is for her to go to Grade 11 but take a mix of grade 11 and grade 10 courses. She should focus on grade 10 English and Grade 11 English so by the time she is in grade 12, she will be more ready. She should also be prepared to take some night classes or weekend classes outside of her school like private lessons. If she wants to go into a Science field than I recommend taking grade 10 science so she can take grade 11 science then grade 12 etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1895 posts
474 upvotes
Woodbridge
Who told her that she can only take grade 11 and not grade 10 courses? Equivalency credits are granted by the principal in consultation with the guidance department based on a variety of factors, including the language of instruction, age, post-secondary pathways, and any sort of board-specific language and mathematics proficiency assessments. This website lists the requirements to receive an Ontario Secondary School Diploma - http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/extra/eng/ppm/graduate.html. Many but not all courses beyond Grade 9 have some sort of prerequisite. It's impossible to answer your question based only on age and the grade that the student would have been in in China. My advice would be to reach out to the school board that the student will be registered in and see what can be done. Schools may be closed but board offices do remain open throughout the summer.
[OP]
Apr 30, 2018
28 posts
2 upvotes
Saltywetguy/RFDSimple/jvnanu: thanks for your so insightful input!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)