Shopping Discussion

Pls help make Costco work for me - specific products available in the GTA?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2012 12:44 pm
Tags:
None
May 10, 2009
198 posts
16 upvotes

Pls help make Costco work for me - specific products available in the GTA?

We are a small household with very specific needs and preferences for food and other consumer products. For example, I am hoping to eat more organic food, which I hear that Costco is starting to stock more of. I also have some broken appliances sitting at home that stopped working soon after their short warranty period, and thought that by being a member, I could at least bring any future purchases back for an exchange if they stopped working.

It's been three weeks and I have visited 3 stores in the GTA. Here is what I liked so far, as many of you might have reflected in the other discussion:

- household products, especially paper ones
- photo finishing, excellent price and turnaround time, although not so much on quality
- imported cheeses, organic milk and salad greens, frozen organic blueberries, kumato tomatoes
- flash pasteurized fruit smoothies
- nuts
- New Zealand/Australian lamb, duck products
- wild-caught fish
- frozen lasagna
- kids books

On the other hand, these are what I was hoping would work but do not so far:
- the gas bar is way too crowded
- the supplements they carry are still not as good a deal as what I can get online
- not much of the kinds of food products that I was hoping to find. For organic, I only saw flaxseed and quinoa.

I am told that products vary by store, so is there anyone who can tell me if there is any store in the GTA that actually carries the following?
- organic meat (beef, chicken, pork)
- free range/Alberta beef
- free range/organic eggs
- any other organic produce or processed food products

Please share, and also tell me about any "gourmet" food products you like, and which store carries them, thanks! :)
24 replies
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
I honestly don't know why people obsess about the cost of being a member...let's say you pay the regular fee of around $60 - that's $5 per month. People waste that on a couple cups of coffee! Yes, the selection isn't going to be as large as a typical grocery store, but for the most part, they've been chosen because they are an excellent quality. With their no-hassle guarantee, they have to have good product or they wouldn't stay in business. Start buying the beef there, and you won't want it from anywhere else.

Try it out and you can always get your money back if you aren't satisfied. The only danger you'll encounter is that you may buy more than you actually need, but that's not Costco's fault. ;)
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2008
1122 posts
1174 upvotes
You want to sign up in part to bring your broken non-functional appliances fraudulently? Impressive.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
1223 posts
60 upvotes
Mississauga
tarteaucitron wrote: I also have some broken appliances sitting at home that stopped working soon after their short warranty period, and thought that by being a member, I could at least bring them back for an exchange.
Why would Costco take something back you hadn't bought from them?
May 10, 2009
198 posts
16 upvotes
Scott84 wrote: Originally Posted by tarteaucitron View Post
I also have some broken appliances sitting at home that stopped working soon after their short warranty period, and thought that by being a member, I could at least bring them back for an exchange.

Why would Costco take something back you hadn't bought from them?
Oops. I really meant any FUTURE purchases I might have from Costco :facepalm: It didn't occur to me it wasn't clear at the time of writing. Will edit to reflect that.
May 10, 2009
198 posts
16 upvotes
MikeMontrealer wrote: You want to sign up in part to bring your broken non-functional appliances fraudulently? Impressive.
No :facepalm: See clarification.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5731 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
Even on your "new purchases" why should you be allowed to return after the warranty is up?? You knew the warranty from Costco when you bought them.
--------------------------------------------------------------
HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3870 upvotes
Nowhere
I don't get this thread, why should anyone make Costco work for you. Either you like it or you don't. There are plenty of people who like/love Costco.
May 10, 2009
198 posts
16 upvotes
Okay, from the look of most of the responses so far, it looks like I had been so poor at the wording in the original post, that most ppl have missed the main point of my question: Any sightings of specific kinds of products (that I listed above) at any of the stores?

That was based on my understanding from a rep that different locations stock different products. I also hear about things like organic meat and yogurt in some locations (although more in BC and the US - correct me if I am wrong), so it would be helpful to know if there is any of that in the GTA.

And thanks, Mars, about the reminder to try the beef. I will once I finish the fish and the lamb that I got :D
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
232 upvotes
googoo wrote: Even on your "new purchases" why should you be allowed to return after the warranty is up?? You knew the warranty from Costco when you bought them.
That is the benefit of costco. It boggles my mind that people PAY for a costco membership but don't use the benefits of doing it. If you want the same services you can get at any other store then don't buy a costco membership.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
The big catch with Costco is their product mix is limited, and they constantly drop products and add new ones. If you're that specific about the products you desire, you'll be disappointed.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
3657 posts
1135 upvotes
Montreal
Ottomaddox wrote: The big catch with Costco is their product mix is limited, and they constantly drop products and add new ones. If you're that specific about the products you desire, you'll be disappointed.
+1 Once upon a time they have that Panda dumplings that ALL my friends loved. We bought every month then poufff!! never seen them again :S
May 10, 2009
198 posts
16 upvotes
jason9945 wrote: That is the benefit of costco. It boggles my mind that people PAY for a costco membership but don't use the benefits of doing it. If you want the same services you can get at any other store then don't buy a costco membership.
Jason thanks for highlighting this point. I am so tired of having to throw away small appliances that just simply gave up the ghost, but still look spanking new on the outside. I am hoping that appliances at Costco are indeed a better quality like some people suggested, or at least their policy could stand behind their merchandise where the quality fails.

For example, in my kitchen is a toaster handed down from a friend, some 7 years ago. From the looks of it, that it is heavy as a rock and with a fabric power cord, it could easily be 15 years old. I don't like it because the metal exterior heats up dangerously, but I'm living with it now because it outlasted two other toasters that I had to toss out, because they simply stopped working within a year or two.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2008
1122 posts
1174 upvotes
tarteaucitron wrote: No :facepalm: See clarification.
More of a correction than a clarification considering the meaning has changed completely, but OK.

As others have said, the staples usually remain as-is for a while but even your favourite brand of something can easily disappear never to return. Part of the fun is seeing what they bring in, to be honest.

You also mentioned different Costcos having different products, and this is also true; I have two nearby (Brossard and Saint-Hubert) and the Brossard location has Asian specialties (due to the local population) that I can't find at Saint-Hubert, but the Saint-Hubert one will carry some things I can't find at the Brossard location.
May 10, 2009
198 posts
16 upvotes
MikeMontrealer wrote:
As others have said, the staples usually remain as-is for a while but even your favourite brand of something can easily disappear never to return. Part of the fun is seeing what they bring in, to be honest.
So true about the fun. Part of the reason I become member is because I got bored with the kind of inventory that the stores around me carry. I used to shop at Loblaws a lot, but eventually realized they are shifting to carry more of their PC products, which I am getting less and less impressed about, compared to years ago. They (Loblaws) do a lot of new product development, but somehow nothing much appeals to me. They will still serve as a fallback for things I cannot find elsewhere, but I haven't been there in about a whole month, which says a lot!
MikeMontrealer wrote: You also mentioned different Costcos having different products, and this is also true; I have two nearby (Brossard and Saint-Hubert) and the Brossard location has Asian specialties (due to the local population) that I can't find at Saint-Hubert, but the Saint-Hubert one will carry some things I can't find at the Brossard location.
Would love to see more Asian (and other ethnic) specialties in the locations I go to. Then do you keep a catalogue (mentally or otherwise) of what you plan to get at each location? Such a catalogue is exactly what I hope people can divulge in here.

For example, at the Markham location I picked up some St Andre cheese, but at the Richmond Hill store, I couldn't find it and settled for St Paulin instead.
May 10, 2009
198 posts
16 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote: The big catch with Costco is their product mix is limited, and they constantly drop products and add new ones. If you're that specific about the products you desire, you'll be disappointed.
Thanks, will bear that in mind, when deciding what and how much to get.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2011
1755 posts
443 upvotes
jason9945 wrote: That is the benefit of costco. It boggles my mind that people PAY for a costco membership but don't use the benefits of doing it. If you want the same services you can get at any other store then don't buy a costco membership.
So you're saying, I can return my old TV for a new TV? and repeat this process once a new TV is out?

How about renting a laptop for school? Use it for 1 year and return it for a new model.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6738 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
YippoHippo wrote: So you're saying, I can return my old TV for a new TV? and repeat this process once a new TV is out?

How about renting a laptop for school? Use it for 1 year and return it for a new model.
All electronics "only" has a 90 day return policy. It used to be unlimited like everything else, until too many people did exactly what you suggested, returning a 5 year old TV to get the new model.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2011
1755 posts
443 upvotes
Manatus wrote: All electronics "only" has a 90 day return policy. It used to be unlimited like everything else, until too many people did exactly what you suggested, returning a 5 year old TV to get the new model.
I know, but isn't that what the OP wants? jason9945 claims it is part of Costco member "benefits"
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
3657 posts
1135 upvotes
Montreal
Manatus wrote: All electronics "only" has a 90 day return policy. It used to be unlimited like everything else, until too many people did exactly what you suggested, returning a 5 year old TV to get the new model.
+1. When I first moved to my area 12 years ago. Someone in my neighbourhood was doing exacting this. She was always claiming electronics not working anymore after 2/3 years, then exchange a newer model or just return the item. I haven't talk o her for the last 5 years so I don't know if she is still doing it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)