• Sep 25th, 2017 11:10 pm
[OP]
Banned
Dec 4, 2010
288 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto

"A Plus Air Systems" wants $485 to replace hot wanter tank heater

I want to replace my existing GSW 50 gallon gas hot water heater with a Home Depot GE 50 gallon tank. I paid $40 to Home Depot to send someone for installation estimate. HD sent someone from from A Plus Air Systems, he wants $270 extra on top of $215 standard installation fee. He wants to put in a new shut off value $40, grounding $40, 7 feet of pipe for $190. a total of $485 for a 2-hour job ? Does $190 for 7 feet of copper pipe sound execessive? I suppose the weather is so nice out there that they don't want my business.
When you go for installation estimate, ask Home Depot NOT to send anyone from A Plus Air Systems.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2087 posts
141 upvotes
North York
truel1111 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2011 5:21 pm
I want to replace my existing GSW 50 gallon gas hot water heater with a Home Depot GE 50 gallon tank. I paid $40 to Home Depot to send someone for installation estimate. HD sent someone from from A Plus Air Systems, he wants $270 extra on top of $215 standard installation fee. He wants to put in a new shut off value $40, grounding $40, 7 feet of pipe for $190. a total of $485 for a 2-hour job ? .

Is the pipe a gas line (black pipe) or water line (copper/pex)? Are they changing the venting?

Gas line I might hold back and be ok with it, for a water line that is very high. I'd want another quote as it seems high regardless.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1074 posts
114 upvotes
Markham
That is their quote, they mostly likely calculate that that is what they need to make that small job worth it for them. You have the opportunity to get other quotes but when you deal with a contractor through a middleman you get hit twice.

No one should be upset at a quote, there are jobs that have to bring a certain "minimum" amount of money to make it worthwhile.
Providing Customers with the highest quality Home Comfort Products, and service! http://www.homestars.com/companies/2781 ... ly-med-air
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4388 posts
96 upvotes
GTA
They are still pulling the same scheme. I just want to replace a 40 gallon Nat Gas tank and the estimate is now 3x the starting install price!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28254 posts
4221 upvotes
Ottawa
truel1111 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2011 5:21 pm
I want to replace my existing GSW 50 gallon gas hot water heater with a Home Depot GE 50 gallon tank. I paid $40 to Home Depot to send someone for installation estimate. HD sent someone from from A Plus Air Systems, he wants $270 extra on top of $215 standard installation fee. He wants to put in a new shut off value $40, grounding $40, 7 feet of pipe for $190. a total of $485 for a 2-hour job ? Does $190 for 7 feet of copper pipe sound execessive? I suppose the weather is so nice out there that they don't want my business.
When you go for installation estimate, ask Home Depot NOT to send anyone from A Plus Air Systems.
I guess you have to figure it out. The Home Depot charge should be absorbed or rebated when you buy the tnk.
$40 for removal of the old and installation of the new valve is not out of line.
I am not sure why the extra gas pipe but, if they have to remove old and install longer new pipe, it can cost time and material. Are they movign the tank a bit? I would think that they would also need to replace or extend the exhaust?
I am not sure what "grounding" is on a gas hot water tank.
They do charge lot per hour labour.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2905 posts
788 upvotes
Paris
Extra gas pipe or a conversion from black pipe to schedule 40 white pipe to bring to code?
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4388 posts
96 upvotes
GTA
This my CUSTOM $400 labour charges on top of the $215 basic install.

Supply & install new:
* Water shit off valve
* Grounding
* Over flow tube
* Tank tops
* Fittings to rotate tank for proper access
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4388 posts
96 upvotes
GTA
Anyone know what tank tops are ?
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2905 posts
788 upvotes
Paris
ferkel wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 1:39 pm

Supply & install new:
* Water shit off valve
* Grounding
* Over flow tube
* Tank tops
With the exception of the tank top all of this seems pretty routine/inexpensive. Grounding is running a wire from the intake to the out, overflow tube is cheap and easy, shut off valve is cheap and easy, fittings I'm not sure about. DIY this stuff is about 35 bucks so pro could be as high as 150 for that list. Why not ask them?

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4388 posts
96 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for the feedback. $600 labour for a 40 gallon nat gas install is acceptable for the gta?
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2905 posts
788 upvotes
Paris
ferkel wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 4:06 pm
Thanks for the feedback. $600 labour for a 40 gallon nat gas install is acceptable for the gta?
It seems expensive. But you are asking the wrong people. Ask the installer why so high.

Jul 20, 2012
492 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
ferkel wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 1:39 pm

Supply & install new:
* Water shit off valve
* Grounding
* Over flow tube
* Tank tops
Something's wrong here. The overflow tube comes with the tank. It's a plastic tube that attaches to the relief valve. The tank tops is that the adapters that screw into the top of the tank? They have pea sized balls that act as a check valve. If so they come with the tank as well. They're screwed in the top of the tank. I used to work in hvac and those fittings always came with the tank. I retired in 2015 so maybe things have changed. Check with the manufacturer and see what comes with the tank.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4388 posts
96 upvotes
GTA
It's a Home Depot rheem tank. Unsure why they need to ground a nat gas hot water heater. I guess this why Ontario rents their water heaters
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2905 posts
788 upvotes
Paris
ferkel wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:09 pm
It's a Home Depot rheem tank. Unsure why they need to ground a nat gas hot water heater. I guess this why Ontario rents their water heaters
Ground from inlet to outlet pipe in every house I have been in. Same with water softeners.

Plastic tube no longer comes with box store tanks.

Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4388 posts
96 upvotes
GTA
Installation is handled by Home Depot head office installation dept who themselves know about the same as me, which is very little, They told me tank tops are the tops of the tank.. cost $75 for whatever they are.