Tags:
None
Banned
Dec 30, 2013
284 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto

Plz Recommend A Computer Case

Currently have a Fractal Design Define XL (not v2... The original)

Comp specs
-AMD hd5850
-atx x58 mobo + corei7
-corsair ax1200 PSU
-DVD drive
-sad
-three PCI/pci-e cards
- nine (yes 9) HDDS

The case is getting a bit crowded. Aside from building a separate file server or upgrading to bigger 6tb HDS to reduce the # of HDs... What is my option?

Are there any bigger cases to accommodate my needs?

This case has 10 3.5" slots + 4 5.25" slots but the behemoth PSU takes up a LOT of room (almost 50% larger than a 600w PSU). So playing with the wiring is a total pain.

Recommend away. Not looking to spend $400+ on a case though! This one cost me $109+tax two years ago.

Thanks!!
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
Entho Primo is good. Very flexible.
http://www.phanteks.com/enthoo-primo.html

Extremely good if you ever plan on watercooling . I've seen it OPENBOX for 200$.

Unlike with the Fractal Define XL, the fan that come with the Primo are very good*.

*They aren't up there with the Gentle Typhoons and other 20$ fans, but still have a very good balance.

Note*: I forgot how many HHDs the Fractal can hold, but I used these: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0001UZQWG to add drives in my 5.25" bay.

(I still have some left, that I can sell for 4$/piece)
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Banned
Dec 30, 2013
284 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
The case you recommended says 6 drives...

I'm already at 10... Looking to push 12-14
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
cHiNgChInG99 wrote: The case you recommended says 6 drives...

I'm already at 10... Looking to push 12-14
CM drive bays

I'm using a XL ATX CASE + CM drive bay and then adapters to fit more drives into any remaining optical drive bays... This is at the cost of using two PSU though
Banned
Dec 30, 2013
284 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
george__ wrote: CM drive bays

I'm using a XL ATX CASE + CM drive bay and then adapters to fit more drives into any remaining optical drive bays... This is at the cost of using two PSU though
What do you mean cost of using two PSUs?
Banned
Dec 30, 2013
284 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
nagasadow wrote: HAF X would do it, just got to get rid of the Hot swap part and use a few of the 5 1/2 drive bays

or this
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5244/ ... Black.html

2nd case is awesome, but $400+ .........

HAFX has been recommended a few times, but unless I'm missing something, it fails my needs, it has
5.25" Drive Bays 6 (2 from X-Dock)
3.5" Drive Bays 5 (hidden)
If I get rid of 3 of the 5.25 bays to convert to 4 3.5", then that brings my total to..... 9. Much lower than what I have.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
cHiNgChInG99 wrote: 2nd case is awesome, but $400+ .........

HAFX has been recommended a few times, but unless I'm missing something, it fails my needs, it has
5.25" Drive Bays 6 (2 from X-Dock)
3.5" Drive Bays 5 (hidden)
If I get rid of 3 of the 5.25 bays to convert to 4 3.5", then that brings my total to..... 9. Much lower than what I have.
Just buy 2 more cages, and screw them through the fan mount holes.

I have the same case, and power supply as you. If you remove the 140mm fan on the bottom, you should have enough room for the 2 cages. (an easy 8 cages)

please like the others have mentioned, you can convert 3 5.25" bays to 4 HHD spots.

if you have a SSD taking up one on of the HHD spots; wrap it in tape, and throw it behind the motherboard.
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
cHiNgChInG99 wrote: What do you mean cost of using two PSUs?
I can't close the case because I'm using two PSUs so it's not a "clean" setup
Banned
Dec 30, 2013
284 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Dinujan wrote: Just buy 2 more cages, and screw them through the fan mount holes.

I have the same case, and power supply as you. If you remove the 140mm fan on the bottom, you should have enough room for the 2 cages. (an easy 8 cages)

please like the others have mentioned, you can convert 3 5.25" bays to 4 HHD spots.

if you have a SSD taking up one on of the HHD spots; wrap it in tape, and throw it behind the motherboard.
Sorry which case do you have? Hafx that I quoted? Or mine? Fractal XL v1?

If its the fractal...can you please take a pic of the inside of your case if you have time?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
maybe should you get the Cooler Master "stacker"

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/full-t ... es/haf935/
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Two ... ef=sr_1_1?

The base holds 6 drives, and each attachment can hold an additional 3 (+1 if you use a 5.25 to 3.5 adapter).

Since the attachment by themselves, are full fledged ITX cases, I'm sure you can bootleg it to hold alot more.
Feb 9, 2008
570 posts
128 upvotes
I used one of these in my XL R2 to fit 10 drives in it and still have room for two more.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
8501 posts
1053 upvotes
Occupied Ottawa
If you're just looking to store more drives, you might want to consider an inexpensive enclosure. Mediasonic makes one that has 4 bays and an adjustable fan for $120. I have one and I really like it. If you look on kijiji, you can probably find the older USB2/eSata version for $50-$70 (the newer one has USB3/eSata). There are also some more expensive versions that support raid.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=032450
Banned
Dec 30, 2013
284 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Heh. I have two of these already. :p
ConsoleWatcher wrote: If you're just looking to store more drives, you might want to consider an inexpensive enclosure. Mediasonic makes one that has 4 bays and an adjustable fan for $120. I have one and I really like it. If you look on kijiji, you can probably find the older USB2/eSata version for $50-$70 (the newer one has USB3/eSata). There are also some more expensive versions that support raid.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=032450

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)