• Nov 20th, 2017 4:15 am
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27014 posts
1725 upvotes
Winnipeg
Chuck Garabedian wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 11:17 am
We....???? So your are a Chinese citizen. Are you posting from China or Canada?

So because they hide it better in China that mean's it's okay??? Out of sight I guess...so it doesn't exist right? :facepalm:
he is correct regardless, neither china nor canada is world police
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1344 posts
439 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Chuck Garabedian wrote:

So because they hide it better in China that mean's it's okay??? Out of sight I guess...so it doesn't exist right? :facepalm:
We aren't world corruption police...How does it benefit canada and our citizens to be world police? We benefit from trade

If we don't want to trade with a nation because there's potential corruption...Then geeze..We can't trade with anybody especially the two biggest economies in the world including our biggest trading partner

I don't see what corruption has to do with us trading with a country ..Why do you or Canadians care about corruption in another country?

Sounds like you're a Chinese national trying to use Canada to elicit political regime change in your original sovereign state
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1344 posts
439 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Chuck Garabedian wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 11:07 am
You do realize the media in China is state controlled and that goes for the information that gets realized around decision making, political scandals, corruption etc. in China? Just because there is "no bad news" from China does not mean there is nothing rotten going on. Take a tour of North Korea as a tourist and I'm sure you'll think it's a wonderful with the dog and pony show provided. Same thing (albeit likely to a lesser degree) that goes on in China.

I'm no fan of the political issues in the west but at least the media is better positioned to report on those issues. People here have the rights to report on those issues, it's entrenched in western society to be critical of our government, Try that in China and see where that gets you.
So? What does this have to do with trade? Again..We aren't world police or govt of the Chinese people or world media police
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16450 posts
1763 upvotes
Montreal
Chuck Garabedian wrote:

Wait so we sell weapons and tech to Saudia Arabia, the only true Islamic Caliphate in the world, and the monetary and ideological fuel that feeds radical Islam, but we have issues with Chinese dictatorship?

We subcontract our garment industrty to Bangladesh where child workers are crushed and ground into dust to feed textile mills, yet we worry about how the Chinese treat their workers?

We signed a free trade agreement with mexico, arguably one of the most corrupt narco regimes in the hemisphere but we worry about CHinese corruption?

Sorry, but we have never had issues trading with questionable countries when it was in our interest. The question is, who benefits the most and who looses the most in a deal with China? Then you will find the source of these "security concerns".
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
4677 posts
418 upvotes
Get too reliant on China for trade and goodbye to our own decisions, we won't allow Dali lama to visit, curb trade with Taiwan or take positions on South China Sea....Trade less with China and more with democracies
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

WENGER IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2006
1077 posts
89 upvotes
Calgary
mr_raider wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 4:05 pm
Wait so we sell weapons and tech to Saudia Arabia, the only true Islamic Caliphate in the world, and the monetary and ideological fuel that feeds radical Islam, but we have issues with Chinese dictatorship?

We subcontract our garment industrty to Bangladesh where child workers are crushed and ground into dust to feed textile mills, yet we worry about how the Chinese treat their workers?

We signed a free trade agreement with mexico, arguably one of the most corrupt narco regimes in the hemisphere but we worry about CHinese corruption?

Sorry, but we have never had issues trading with questionable countries when it was in our interest. The question is, who benefits the most and who looses the most in a deal with China? Then you will find the source of these "security concerns".
Not sure if you are agreeing with me or disagreeing with me or making a statement so fogive me for any misunderstanding I might have on your post.

I will say, if you think that Canada should sell arms to regimes like Saudi Arabia or sign deals with narco states then no. I think Canada should be ashamed of such deals.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2006
1077 posts
89 upvotes
Calgary
Doubleshot wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 11:42 am
We aren't world corruption police...How does it benefit canada and our citizens to be world police? We benefit from trade

If we don't want to trade with a nation because there's potential corruption...Then geeze..We can't trade with anybody especially the two biggest economies in the world including our biggest trading partner

I don't see what corruption has to do with us trading with a country ..Why do you or Canadians care about corruption in another country?

Sounds like you're a Chinese national trying to use Canada to elicit political regime change in your original sovereign state
What does being "world police" have to do with trading with a country? So you are advocating doing business/trading with any group, and government and individual if it brings you or Canada benefit? I can't believe you are that ignorant to really believe that. I heard ISIS has lots of oil they might want to sell for cheap...we could make a huge profit back in Canada!

Chinese national? Nope...born and raised in Canada by parents who were also born and raised here.

What about you? I suspect you won't answer the question....
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1344 posts
439 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Chuck Garabedian wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 10:02 pm
What does being "world police" have to do with trading with a country? So you are advocating doing business/trading with any group, and government and individual if it brings you or Canada benefit? I can't believe you are that ignorant to really believe that. I heard ISIS has lots of oil they might want to sell for cheap...we could make a huge profit back in Canada!

Chinese national? Nope...born and raised in Canada by parents who were also born and raised here.

What about you? I suspect you won't answer the question....
So you're a foreign agent trying to elicit political change in another sovereign state?

And no i'm not a Chinese national.

We trade with Taiwan, Philippines, the US, India and other countries with lots of corruption and values very different than. Us..So?

Yes we are not world police

Why would you sell Candian interests and benefits for our country for a foreign govt like you're advocating for?

So do you support eliminating trade with the US who's 100x worst than the Chinese in terms of terrorism, corruption and immoral acts? At least the chinese keep it to themselves mostly...The US goes causing problems all over the world and sells weapons to terrorists.... Should we stop trading with them?

Please answer..Do you think we should stop trade with US, India, Taiwan, Philippines, mexico, south korea and etc because theyre all even worst than China?
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1344 posts
439 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
As other poster states above...We need trade with China as our current trading partners like the US, south Korea, India, Philippines, Mexico etc are all more corrupt and/or have lots more difference in values than us

So we need a deal with China to rely less on our existing poor ethical trading partners

This is what Australia has done and is great..We need to do it ASAP
(Reuters) - Australia and China are expected to sign new bilateral agreements on beef exports, energy and security during a four-day visit by Chinese Premier Li Keqiang that began on Thursday.

Li, the first sitting Chinese premier to visit Australia in 11 years, was welcomed to parliament in Canberra by Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull amid extra security in the capital in the wake of an attack outside Britain's parliament by a suspected Islamist-inspired attacker.

During his visit, Li will meet Australian business leaders at trade forums and attend an Australian Rules Football League (AFL) match in Sydney before heading to New Zealand for two days.

Australia is seeking to take advantage of China's decision earlier this week to suspend meat imports from Brazil, the world's biggest exporter of beef and poultry, due to a scandal over sales of rotten and salmonella-tainted meats.

Australia, however, may have little scope to increase meat exports as its cattle herd is languishing near a two-decade low. Graziers were forced to cull cattle in record numbers following a drought induced by an unusually strong El Nino weather system between 2014 and 2016.

Beef is among Australian agriculture exports to China that were worth more than A$8 billon ($6.14 billion) last year. They have been propelled by the wide-ranging China-Australia Free Trade Agreement signed in 2015, cementing China position as Australia's largest trading partner.

"China must feed their nation but has 7 percent of arable land. Australia is seizing the opportunity to provide the high-quality, safe food," Turnbull said in a speech in Canberra.

Turnbull said he will also seek to progress a possible regional trade agreement as Australia seeks to minimise the impact of President Donald Trump pulling the United States out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership in January, effectively killing the accord in its current form.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
1183 posts
49 upvotes
Montreal
Doubleshot wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 8:07 am
So you're a foreign agent trying to elicit political change in another sovereign state?

And no i'm not a Chinese national.

We trade with Taiwan, Philippines, the US, India and other countries with lots of corruption and values very different than. Us..So?

Yes we are not world police

Why would you sell Candian interests and benefits for our country for a foreign govt like you're advocating for?

So do you support eliminating trade with the US who's 100x worst than the Chinese in terms of terrorism, corruption and immoral acts? At least the chinese keep it to themselves mostly...The US goes causing problems all over the world and sells weapons to terrorists.... Should we stop trading with them?

Please answer..Do you think we should stop trade with US, India, Taiwan, Philippines, mexico, south korea and etc because theyre all even worst than China?
Just judging how you keep repeating yourself and certain countries really reeks of your Chinese Descent and/or ignorance. I mean who compares a country that sensors their internet with marshmallow fluff with a free and possibly maybe too open societies? Sure they have become more capitalistic, but they are still communist. Sure you should still trade with them as im not advocating that you don't or Canada doesn't, but your posts and logic are pretty off base and point.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7190 posts
981 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
It should be set up like NAFTA in that it can be canceled at any time. No 50 year crap or something like that. If it is a good trade agreement, then it continues, but if it becomes detrimental, then we should be able to renegotiate without any penalties,

And obviously needs to protect Canadian standards on quality.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7189 posts
239 upvotes
don242 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 8:50 am
It should be set up like NAFTA in that it can be canceled at any time. No 50 year crap or something like that. If it is a good trade agreement, then it continues, but if it becomes detrimental, then we should be able to renegotiate without any penalties,

And obviously needs to protect Canadian standards on quality.
What is canadian standards?. You mean strict regulation?. That has nothing to do with China. That has something to do with our government making sure companies are following the regulation we set.

China provides alot of high end products worldwide. The biggest corporations in the world have their manufacturing facilities there(Apple, Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, etc.).

Some of the "Made In Canada" stuff you see might not even be made in Canada. Part of it could have came from China.

The demonization of China is old. It just doesnt work anymore because we are already doing business with them. Its just going to get expanded. It will happen, it doesnt matter which PM we have. It would be totally irresponsible to ignore them, specially now that they are one of the biggest economies in the world.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5966 posts
221 upvotes
All free trade deals should realize the social costs of dealing with the country as part of the deal. If a country has human rights violations then it should be priced into the deal. Not considering the social cost of the deal is very "un-Canadian" and I hope we move forward expecting the same regulations, environmental protections, and human rights for the people of the countries we're dealing with as we enjoy here in Canada. Not doing so would by hypocritical and a blatant subsidy for certain industries.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4787 posts
349 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 2:27 pm
All free trade deals should realize the social costs of dealing with the country as part of the deal. If a country has human rights violations then it should be priced into the deal. Not considering the social cost of the deal is very "un-Canadian" and I hope we move forward expecting the same regulations, environmental protections, and human rights for the people of the countries we're dealing with as we enjoy here in Canada. Not doing so would by hypocritical and a blatant subsidy for certain industries.
Who cares? The question is whether it benefits us, Canadian citizens. If human rights violation of Chinese benefits us, why not? It's up to the Chinese to fix their own problems.

And who defines "human rights violation". I always find it funny that we are against child labor, yet we are not willing to feed those children for free. So what are they going to do? Starve to death? Only the Chinese can decide whether they are willing to live with these "human rights violations". If not, they can always kill their rulers like Chairman Mao did (or tried to do).

I honestly don't know whether this mentality of we know better, so we can force something on you is Canadian or un-Canadian.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5966 posts
221 upvotes
Archanfel wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 2:33 pm
Who cares? The question is whether it benefits us, Canadian citizens. If human rights violation of Chinese benefits us, why not? It's up to the Chinese to fix their own problems.

And who defines "human rights violation". I always find it funny that we are against child labor, yet we are not willing to feed those children for free. So what are they going to do? Starve to death? Only the Chinese can decide whether they are willing to live with these "human rights violations". If not, they can always kill their rulers like Chairman Mao did (or tried to do).

I honestly don't know whether this mentality of we know better, so we can force something on you is Canadian or un-Canadian.
Because turning a blind eye to the abuse in other countries we trade with only lowers our protections here at home.

Think about it from this perspective...say you have a carbon tax in Canada but you don't have one in China. Canadian companies then have to deal with pricing in a carbon tax before they can compete with Chinese companies for products to be sold in the Chinese market. Would we ever have any chance of free trade in that situation? No of course not. We would need to price in the fact that China doesn't have a carbon tax or remove the carbon tax in Canada.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)