Dec 7, 2012
21945 posts
4441 upvotes
GTHA

PM Trudeau says "Stock-Option Changes Could Come in Canadian Budget"

from http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... udeau-says

Technology startups say they need options to attract talent
Prime minister says he's `ruthless' about helping middle class
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said his government is still considering how stock options should be taxed, suggesting in an interview changes remain on the table and could be revealed in this month’s budget.

“We are going through a very rigorous process of looking at all sorts of different options and alternatives for fiscal measures and others, and we’ll have a lot more to say about it March 22,” Trudeau said Wednesday in Vancouver. “Certainly everything that was in the platform is part of the mix of things we’re considering for this budget,” he said, when asked directly if stock option changes are still a possibility.

Trudeau’s Liberals campaigned on raising C$6.5 billion ($4.8 billion) over four years by making unspecified changes to taxation and spending programs, with stock-option tax treatments cited as one example. The government hasn’t moved on the issue, however, since taking power in November. Executives at startup companies are expressing opposition, saying any changes would affect their ability to attract and retain staff.

Trudeau acknowledged the objections from Canada’s start-up community, and his Liberal Party’s campaign platform said any changes would not affect employees with less than C$100,000 in annual stock option benefits.
Last edited by tk1000 on Mar 3rd, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
3123 posts
589 upvotes
Don't think you will find people being affected here on RFD
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
21945 posts
4441 upvotes
GTHA
Federal budget makes no change to stock options tax despite campaign promise
During the election, the Liberals suggested they would look to put a cap of $100,000 a year on how much could be claimed through the deduction that reduces the amount of tax charged on stock option gains.

However, Finance Minister Bill Morneau says he will not be making any changes to the way stock options are taxed.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14031 posts
1380 upvotes
Montreal
Yet they took the axe to corporate class mutual funds. Fortunately, they didn't touch Horizon ETFs
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14031 posts
1380 upvotes
Montreal
I support it because it does not affect me Smiling Face With Open Mouth

but don't touch CCPCs Angry Face
Jan 15, 2017
63 posts
32 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 11:17 am
I support it because it does not affect me Smiling Face With Open Mouth

but don't touch CCPCs Angry Face
They should stop allowing spouses and adult children from being shareholders in professional corporations. It's purely an income-splitting strategy, and we know how this government feels about income-splitting.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel