Cell Phones

PM vs Zoomer

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2018 3:26 pm

Poll: PM vs Zoomer

• Total votes: 32. You have voted on this poll.
Stay with Public Mobile BYOD, 12gb, unlimited province wide, global text, no contract, 90 day plan for $114 plan

56%
Move to Zoomer Free Huawei GR5/LG K4, 2 year contract, 2gb/month, 400 mins Canada Wide, unlimited evenings and weekends, unlimited global text, for $36/month, plus $50 referral credit, plus $50 activation credit.

31%
Other: Please list in comments any other plan suggestions

13%
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: It's $25 for 4GB at Fido doing the $15/3GB data only, Fongo for Canada-wide calling. Small additional cost for Fongo texts if not doing it through a free app or iMessage.
($10/GB overages)
Free LG tablet to boot.
After 6 moths there may be a loyalty 50% discount for a year, provided that is still around in 6 months time.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: I've been lucky. I've had colleagues recently switch even though they're only getting 2GB (they had that or less anyway). It's had a trickle effect as every week, someone at work asks me who I'm with.
Mainly they see that it's reliable, after I made the move first, and I'm overall happy with them.
Lucky you. I have colleagues who pay more for less than the current PM regular price plan but they would only switch if the fall promotion came back. It doesn't matter that they pay more and will likely not need 4 gigs of data. The logic escapes me but that what they say.
Oct 29, 2016
316 posts
137 upvotes
will888 wrote: Please explain to me how peace of mind works? So, this is buying a service that may never really be used to its full potential but having it around provides security that if it does get used, there is no additional fee. I would much rather go with a pay per use regime for seldom used features and go with peace of mind so to speak for items that get used daily.
My plan is same data as Public with Canada calling instead of province.
So yes, I get the peace of mind of having no LD charges for $1.50 more and not giving up any features.
I also read a few accounts of poor customer service with PM being fully forum based.
I can't imagine managing my 7 lines this way. You can deliberate much better on phone support.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
The only times I needed support in almost 10y with Rogers were all billing. Good riddance.
Canada wide calling on PM is $5 more/month.
7 lines = 6 referrals, another $18 off the primary account.
But in the end, it's whatever gives you peace of mind and I respect whatever decision that takes you there.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6484 posts
2389 upvotes
Mississauga
AncasterRFD wrote: The only times I needed support in almost 10y with Rogers were all billing. Good riddance.
But in the end, it's whatever gives you peace of mind and I respect whatever decision that takes you there.
+1

i don't want to even think about all the time i use to waste dealing with Rogers billing....
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
bengigan wrote: I also read a few accounts of poor customer service with PM being fully forum based.
I can't imagine managing my 7 lines this way. You can deliberate much better on phone support.
Actually, the customer service is fantastic with PM. It blew up when they were getting hundreds of support requests a day during the promo, but now it's back to normal and problems are solved pretty quick (I had a question, they wrote back to me in about 15 minutes). Having said that - *7* phone lines is a hell of a lot to deal with via self service, and PM has a "1 account per line" setup right now, *and* they have a limit on the number of accounts you can use per credit card, for autopay.
AncasterRFD wrote: Canada wide calling on PM is $5 more/month.
On the regular plans yes, not on the 4GB promo plan.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2016
1874 posts
1018 upvotes
Hmmm... Seems like everyone is very pro PM. But seemingly for no reason other than the 4gb of data and no "contract". So I think I am still strongly considering Zoomer.

Zoomer Pro's: Meets all my plan needs, free phone, save $157, customer service agents via phone and chat, apparently unlimited referrals at $25-$50 each, and possibility to move to loyalty plan in 6 months. Zoomer Cons: Contract, Rogers owned company, less data than PM.

PM Pro's: Exceeds my plan needs with more data, 12gb of data is fluid for the 90 days, no real contract. PM Cons: Locked in for 90 days, prepaid, confusing billing history, difficult to earn referral credits as no incentive for the referred.
Koodo: $60/10GB
Zoomer: $45 4GB LTE Loyalty Plan
OP of the Zoomer Wireless $36 2GB LTE Promo
Oct 29, 2016
316 posts
137 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: The only times I needed support in almost 10y with Rogers were all billing. Good riddance.
I should have clarified 4 of 7 lines are the data only plans. But still i get to manage all 7 with one account which is beneficial. I also got $285 in self referral bonus this way, less 60 in activation fee.

Another important difference is roaming. I'm not sure if PM made any changes, but I get Fido roam for $5/day on the one line that matters
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
4289 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like the op has already made his decision, no point asking us for our opinions
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
wearysky wrote: Actually, the customer service is fantastic with PM. It blew up when they were getting hundreds of support requests a day during the promo, but now it's back to normal and problems are solved pretty quick (I had a question, they wrote back to me in about 15 minutes). Having said that - *7* phone lines is a hell of a lot to deal with via self service, and PM has a "1 account per line" setup right now, *and* they have a limit on the number of accounts you can use per credit card, for autopay.

On the regular plans yes, not on the 4GB promo plan.
Good points. Not that I ever want it, Canada wide can't be added to our 12GB promo for an extra $15?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
AncasterRFD wrote: Good points. Not that I ever want it, Canada wide can't be added to our 12GB promo for an extra $15?
Nope. People were asking that during the promo and PM flat out said no.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
1608 posts
389 upvotes
Definite zoomer has good customer service. They suggested what's the best incentives and get which plan for your own need. Great chat window service. Definitely highly recommended.
1x$36 Zoomer Plan with 2GB + Unlimited Call and Text
1x$45 Zoomer Plan with 4GB + Unlimited Call and Text
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6484 posts
2389 upvotes
Mississauga
op, you already made up your mind...

however, you stated unlimited referrals with zoomer.... those are one time credits

pm.... unlimited referrals.... you can reduce your payment permanently to $0.....
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2016
1874 posts
1018 upvotes
Ducky wrote: op, you already made up your mind...

however, you stated unlimited referrals with zoomer.... those are one time credits

pm.... unlimited referrals.... you can reduce your payment permanently to $0.....
I have found it very hard to get referrals for PM as there isn't much incentive for the refferer to use a referral and I honestly would not be able to find 38 people to switch over and stay.

And I have not made up my mind, just trying to look at each scenario fairly as both plans do work for me. Its not an easy choice on which works better. Both are 184838 times better than the $56/month plan I had previously for 2gb with Fido. Its a little overwhelming all the deals available now.
Koodo: $60/10GB
Zoomer: $45 4GB LTE Loyalty Plan
OP of the Zoomer Wireless $36 2GB LTE Promo
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38384 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
wearysky wrote: Nope. People were asking that during the promo and PM flat out said no.
The $15 is a long distance add on. It gives you 400 minutes to call anywhere in the world including Canada. This makes perfect sense if you rarely call outside of your home province as it never expires.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Gee wrote: The $15 is a long distance add on. It gives you 400 minutes to call anywhere in the world including Canada. This makes perfect sense if you rarely call outside of your home province as it never expires.
(2 different things)
OP wants "Canada-Wide Unlimited Talk" which normally would be a $15/90d in the Plan Builder, ongoing, wearysky confirms it cannot be added to the 12GB Promo.
You're referring to the $15 Long Distance "Add-On" which is a great for what you describe, 400min that rolls over, I bought it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38384 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
rolomonster wrote: And I have not made up my mind, just trying to look at each scenario fairly as both plans do work for me. Its not an easy choice on which works better.
Sounds like you made up you mind to me.

Let me know if you have any regrets going to Zoomer.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
1608 posts
389 upvotes
Zoomer has 30 days return free. Pretty good to try out the network first.
1x$36 Zoomer Plan with 2GB + Unlimited Call and Text
1x$45 Zoomer Plan with 4GB + Unlimited Call and Text
Jan 29, 2013
746 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
Based on the network alone, I would opt for Zoomer (which is why I use them, inexpensive and on a big-3 network).
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Go dual-sim :D
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]