Entrepreneurship & Small Business

point of sale units pricing (debit, credit, mobile, moneris)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2017 8:03 am
Tags:
None
Apr 6, 2010
491 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
Groomerguy wrote:
Feb 4th, 2011 5:32 pm
I use VARS Investment from Sudbury, The Only thing I pay for is for my Shipping to get my paper, they charge a 50 cent fee to the customers, I don't pay for rental..... or anything, Ive been using them for 2 years and very Happy.

I was just going through this again and I realized I missed something:

When you process a transaction on a credit card, the customer authorizes you to take money from their account. VARS cannot charge anything on the same credit card without the customer's approval. So there is something very wrong there, unless you are talking about a DEBIT surcharge, and that is added to the price you enter at the time of the transaction.

I see that nobody else discussed rates and services provided by VARS, except one comment - "good things about them", can anyone that is using them elaborate?
Cristian.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
1068 posts
437 upvotes
Hamilton
I'm interested in POS processing offers as well.
Checked Elavon (via Costco) and PBH, it's good to see most information including fees, setup, terminals, options, etc is on their web site. TD, Moneris, Chase, and other merchant services do not bother to reveal info yet and ask to contact them :( Some new entrants in US do not offer services in Canada. Technology is becoming affordable and I see better rates now. I appreciate any personal insight. I'm looking for total cost / true rates, hidden fees info, tips, recommendations, referrals, etc to make an educated decision. TIA