• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2018 3:43 pm
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11045 posts
1724 upvotes
jimmysack wrote:
Apr 7th, 2018 2:43 am
i use a tool from the vet that is basically one single row of really small metal pins and on the other the same thing but larger pins spaced out more.
i brush him i wouldn't say once a week, i would say rarely brush him maybe once a month but even when i brush him theres still fur coming out everywhere. pic attached

i know i need to brush him more but i think even if i do he will still shed everywher. his fur is literally everywhere. i just bought new socks and when i walked on the carpets the fur is all over my socks. its on the cabinets. on the printer, on all my clothing. i bought the siamese because it was supposedly a low shedding cat but thats definitely not true
Once a month is too infrequent. Once a week at the absolute minimum. Also use different brushes. That brush was meant more to get rid of tangles and mats. It won't be effective at getting the loose hair. Get a slicker/needle brush instead. Make sure you get one for cats. They will have rounded tips. Cat's skin is much thinner than a dogs' skin and a dog slicker brush can hurt the cat.

There are other brushes like the Furminator, but that was meant more for cats with undercoats. Siamese don't have undercoats.
[OP]
Banned
Jan 24, 2018
302 posts
63 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Apr 7th, 2018 7:36 pm
Once a month is too infrequent. Once a week at the absolute minimum. Also use different brushes. That brush was meant more to get rid of tangles and mats. It won't be effective at getting the loose hair. Get a slicker/needle brush instead. Make sure you get one for cats. They will have rounded tips. Cat's skin is much thinner than a dogs' skin and a dog slicker brush can hurt the cat.

There are other brushes like the Furminator, but that was meant more for cats with undercoats. Siamese don't have undercoats.
Hi thanks for ur detailed response. can you point me to somewhere i can buy those brush for cats that dont have undercoats? i am confused, won't the little balls at the end of the needles prevent the needle from grabbing and pulling the hairs out ?

i was about to purchase the furminator but now not getting it after reading ur response
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1805 posts
251 upvotes
Canada
Brushing daily is the best prevention for shedding and vacuum often.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11045 posts
1724 upvotes
jimmysack wrote:
Apr 8th, 2018 4:06 am
Hi thanks for ur detailed response. can you point me to somewhere i can buy those brush for cats that dont have undercoats? i am confused, won't the little balls at the end of the needles prevent the needle from grabbing and pulling the hairs out ?

i was about to purchase the furminator but now not getting it after reading ur response
Not really an issue. The bigger problem is if you use a brush that scratches your cat, then your cat is going to hate getting brushed. There are other brushes like a rubber brush, but I don't find them all that effective, but some people love them. I would buy a few different brushes and see what works best for you and your cat. As for the Furminator. There are fake ones everywhere at a fraction of the price. I have both and don't notice any difference between the real and fake ones. Pet stores, Walmart, Canadian Tire, and even supermarkets carry cat brushes, but Chinese websites (assuming you're willing to wait 6-8 weeks shipping) tends to be cheapest. Amazon has decent prices as well.
Banned
Jul 12, 2016
329 posts
179 upvotes
In fact, all cats periodically discard the fur, this is a normal physiological process. Natural molt occurs twice a year - in spring the cat drops warm undercoat, and in autumn - on the contrary, changes summer short and less dense fur to warmer. Way out: it is necessary to comb an animal more often. Other reasons: lack of vitamins A, E, as well as hormonal problems and some skin diseases (e.g., dermatitis, skin parasites, mycoses). In any case, before you give away a cat, try to address a veterinarian.
Oct 17, 2013
135 posts
73 upvotes
Ontario
OliviaAlgoz wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 9:31 pm
In fact, all cats periodically discard the fur, this is a normal physiological process. Natural molt occurs twice a year - in spring the cat drops warm undercoat, and in autumn - on the contrary, changes summer short and less dense fur to warmer. Way out: it is necessary to comb an animal more often.
I completely agree! This is the time of year for shedding and all animals are doing it, wild and domestic. Brush daily.
[OP]
Banned
Jan 24, 2018
302 posts
63 upvotes
OliviaAlgoz wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 9:31 pm
In fact, all cats periodically discard the fur, this is a normal physiological process. Natural molt occurs twice a year - in spring the cat drops warm undercoat, and in autumn - on the contrary, changes summer short and less dense fur to warmer. Way out: it is necessary to comb an animal more often. Other reasons: lack of vitamins A, E, as well as hormonal problems and some skin diseases (e.g., dermatitis, skin parasites, mycoses). In any case, before you give away a cat, try to address a veterinarian.
sphynx, russian blue, and rex cats dont shed. they shed extremely, extremely little. and sphynx dont at all
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12013 posts
2466 upvotes
RFD
tranquility922 wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 5:31 am
Don't you love your cat? Consider giving it away just due to shedding issues? :(
SMH that's so bad. Some people are just... :facepalm:

That's like having a kid and dumping them into the foster care system because the parent don't like X attribute and can't take responsibility of their own.

Some people aren't supposed to have pets the same way some people aren't supposed to bear children. Disappointed But Relieved Face They give up too easily.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11098 posts
2503 upvotes
Montréal
radeonboy wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 12:15 pm
SMH that's so bad. Some people are just... :facepalm:

That's like having a kid and dumping them into the foster care system because the parent don't like X attribute and can't take responsibility of their own.

Some people aren't supposed to have pets the same way some people aren't supposed to bear children. Disappointed But Relieved Face They give up too easily.
You dunno how much I agree w that, esp the bolded part. Ppl should be rigorously screened before having kids, much like responsible breeders do w their dogs lol. Some ppl just don't have the genetic/emotional/intellectual/etc makeup.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Apr 10, 2011
523 posts
262 upvotes
OP -- I understand your frustration with the pet hair. I have two cats and one dog, who all shed like crazy (especially the dog). I have my "at home" clothing, that I don't mind getting pet hair all over, and I have my "nice" clothing, that I put on right before I leave the house and take off as soon as I get home. Also invested in a $700 dyson vacuum a few years ago, which helps. I vacuum every. damn. day. They aren't allowed in my room, either, but they have the rest of the house to roam free in. It's totally frustrating and I do resent them sometimes -- but I would NEVER consider getting rid of them because of it. I committed to taking care of them, and I will honour the promise I made to them when I took them in. I will, however, think twice about adopting any more pets once they pass away.

One thing I will mention: a week before my due date, we got the cat's shaved (lion cuts). This did help with the shedding until the hair grew back, maybe 3 months later. We haven't done it since just because of the cost....but if you can spring for a $75 professional groom every few months, it might be worth it to you. (Don't get your cat shaved if they are ever let outside though -- our cat's are strictly indoors).
Nov 18, 2004
437 posts
6 upvotes
I've never had a Siamese but I have one 18-year old Domestic shorthair cat. We brush him at least once a day with slicker brush. Balls of fur comes out each time and he still sheds around the house after brushing. We vacuum every other day to keep furballs from accumulating around the house. Like lemmiwinks, I have "home" clothes covered in cat hair and nice "outdoor" clothes that are cat hair-free.

Pets are like kids: they are alot of work but also give you joy in return. Any cat breeds with fur should be brushed at least once a day. You can train your cat to enjoy daily brushing by giving him/her a treat after each brushing. Get a robot vacuum (if you don't like to vacuum) and use it often. It's a huge responsibility to have a pet, please be a responsible owner.
Cat Fanatic :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2232 posts
708 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
I adore cats and would never in a million years give away my cats. But thinking about the OP, I wonder if giving that cat away might not be the best thing. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would *love* a purebred Siamese cat and never consider giving him/her away. The OP is already thinking of kicking kitty to the curb because the cat is shedding. That's a minor infraction, as many of us know haha. Kitty's in some serious hot water I imagine if he/she ever vomits a couple of hairballs or (God forbid) should scratch something inappropriate. I mean this sincerely -- maybe the cat would be better off going somewhere else now, because it's just a matter of time. Let someone who appreciates all cats have that gorgeous Siamese cat with those (presumably) baby blue eyes...
"You tell everybody. Listen to me, Hatcher. You've gotta tell them! Beyond Meat is people! We've gotta stop them somehow!"
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5385 posts
636 upvotes
Calgary
Excuses.
Shedding should never be the reason to give away your cat, should not even enter your mind.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1698 posts
592 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
We've got a couple of young cats. The older one started shedding at almost a year old. and has been for the past couple of months. I comb him daily yet fur can still fly immediately after. Both of them are supposed to be low-shedding single coat (ragdolls). The younger one hasn't started yet.

Generally use metal tooth comb (recommended by the breeder who also shows cats), a furminator (found that cheap at a non-profit thrift store). and a flea comb I bought by mistake.

My B-i-L has a Siamese and she has a double coat.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD