Pets

At the point where i may have to give away our cat

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2018 3:43 pm
Apr 18, 2008
306 posts
77 upvotes
If you decide to give away your cat, please don't get another one. Cats puke and ruin your carpet. They also like to scratch things and damage your furniture. Their urine stinks. Sometimes they have diarrhea. And when they get sick, it's a lot of work to take care of them. Etc etc..

It's a big commitment to care for a living creature for 10+ years. You need to take care of them not just when they look cute and cuddly, but also when they are sick and make a mess of themselves.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17366 posts
2162 upvotes
Langley
You guys need to be more sympathetic to the OP. I'm having a similar problem.

I think I might need to give my dog away. He shits in my backyard, like, everyday. I had these brand new socks and I went for a walk back there, and now they're covered in dogshit. I can't think think of any other solutions so I might need to give this dog to someone who doesn't mind a backyard with a layer of dogshit over the grass. I wish someone had told me that dogs produce dogshit before I signed up for this pet ownership nonsense. I had no idea there would be downsides.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10781 posts
3775 upvotes
Toronto
jimmysack wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 4:13 am
so we have a cat, but the issue is the fur and shedding. the fur is literally everywhere. on the kitchen counters, on the dishes sometimes, all my clothing, bedsheets, even on my towels in the washrooom so when im drying myself sometimes i get little bits of cat hair on my body.

I've tried grooming, doesnt do anything. its just a short hair siamese

any suggestions, or is it time to give the kitty away?
I have a Siamese cat and she does shed, but less than other cats.

We vacuum at least weekly and i groom her bi-weekly with something like this:

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... HX4ZCn6J0M:
Last edited by Swerny on May 14th, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13775 posts
1300 upvotes
OP, make sure that if you can't rehome it in a convenient amount of time, you take it to a shelter and have it put to sleep.

I'd hate to see you half ass this 'worst pet owner in the world' thing. May as well own it.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
May 12, 2009
739 posts
307 upvotes
i6s1 wrote:
May 9th, 2018 10:36 am
You guys need to be more sympathetic to the OP. I'm having a similar problem.

I think I might need to give my dog away. He shits in my backyard, like, everyday. I had these brand new socks and I went for a walk back there, and now they're covered in dogshit. I can't think think of any other solutions so I might need to give this dog to someone who doesn't mind a backyard with a layer of dogshit over the grass. I wish someone had told me that dogs produce dogshit before I signed up for this pet ownership nonsense. I had no idea there would be downsides.
Have you thought about putting some rose bush branches out there so he can't walk about in the backyard?
Feb 16, 2013
833 posts
760 upvotes
Toronto
How about not getting pets that you are not willing but able to take care of?
[OP]
Jan 24, 2018
234 posts
42 upvotes
lmao wow some of you are laughable at your crummy responses to me about how i shouldn't be an owner etc.
my cat probably lives a better life than most of your human lives
[OP]
Jan 24, 2018
234 posts
42 upvotes
Smither wrote:
May 9th, 2018 5:05 am
If you decide to give away your cat, please don't get another one. Cats puke and ruin your carpet. They also like to scratch things and damage your furniture. Their urine stinks. Sometimes they have diarrhea. And when they get sick, it's a lot of work to take care of them. Etc etc..

It's a big commitment to care for a living creature for 10+ years. You need to take care of them not just when they look cute and cuddly, but also when they are sick and make a mess of themselves.
How dare you tell me not to adopt a cat?! You have absolutely no right to tell me not to adopt a cat. The cat was shedding too much around the house so i was ready to give him away cus i have a medical problem. if i didnt have the med issue i would not.
don't you dare tell me not to adopt a cat
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2879 posts
674 upvotes
Edmonton
jimmysack wrote:
May 19th, 2018 1:15 am
How dare you tell me not to adopt a cat?! You have absolutely no right to tell me not to adopt a cat. The cat was shedding too much around the house so i was ready to give him away cus i have a medical problem. if i didnt have the med issue i would not.
I agree with the other poster. Maybe you should just visit and volunteer at like an SPCA or animal shelter once in a while to get your cat fix. I mean look at it this way. Your spending more time on rfd talking and arguing about the cat than actually working towards a solution.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Apr 18, 2008
306 posts
77 upvotes
jimmysack wrote:
May 19th, 2018 1:15 am
Your OP sounds like you just don't like the hair everywhere in the house. I have 2 cats who shed and I have cat hair everywhere but I didn't give them away. Taking care of a pet require dedication. If the shelter knows you have given a cat away in the past, they won't let you get another one.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2018
234 posts
42 upvotes
Smither wrote:
May 20th, 2018 12:23 am
Your OP sounds like you just don't like the hair everywhere in the house. I have 2 cats who shed and I have cat hair everywhere but I didn't give them away. Taking care of a pet require dedication. If the shelter knows you have given a cat away in the past, they won't let you get another one.
ok you have cats that shed everywhere but did you read what i said. i said i have a medical health problem that gets worse with all the fur.

do you have a medical health problem? alright then
Apr 18, 2008
306 posts
77 upvotes
jimmysack wrote:
May 20th, 2018 2:38 am
ok you have cats that shed everywhere but did you read what i said. i said i have a medical health problem that gets worse with all the fur.

do you have a medical health problem? alright then
Why would you get a cat in the first place if you are allergic to fur? The cat has fur you knew before you bought them? What's your medical problem? Most people are allergic to dander instead of pet hair btw.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2018
234 posts
42 upvotes
Smither wrote:
May 20th, 2018 7:46 am
Why would you get a cat in the first place if you are allergic to fur? The cat has fur you knew before you bought them? What's your medical problem? Most people are allergic to dander instead of pet hair btw.
can you show me where i said that i was allergic to fur? can you show me where i said i was allergic to dander?

i said i had a medical health issue. i did not specify what it was, you are assuming it is one of the above. There are other medical issues besides being allergic to fur or dander that can be exasperated by having a pet.

Why did i get a cat in the first place? i specifically bought a breed that i was told, and researched in which it was said to be a short hair that sheds very little, if any. That is why i spent hundreds of dollars on a cat instead of adopting one from the dumpster beside my house. There are cats that shed a lot less. sphynx, rex, russian blue, and siamese.