Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4103 posts
269 upvotes
Ontario, Canada

Police & Accident

Does the police normally tell you what they charged the other driver with?
Traveling 😁
3 replies
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2016
228 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Dont know if they normally do but they told me.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2011
1153 posts
832 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
Simaahoy wrote: Does the police normally tell you what they charged the other driver with?
My wife was rear ended (badly) on Kennedy southbound, hard enough that she got pushed into a vehicle in front of her that was trying to quickly squeeze through to northbound. We were towed to the accident reporting centre (2 of the 3 involved weren't drive-able). I asked the officer there who was taking the details what they were charging the person that hit my wife with and he informed that they weren't going to.

I was stunned and asked how that was possible, he informed me that often in Toronto they don't charge unless someone is hurt simply because for every hour that officers spend writing tickets at incidents like this the stats showed they'd spend at least that long in court. I said "Then how will you ever get these drivers off the road?????" His response was "We count on insurance pricing them off the road." This was 14 or 15 years ago and only one example, but I was blown away. As it turned out, the person who rear-ended my wife was without current insurance as it was (expiring less than 30 days prior), so apparently insurance wouldn't have priced him out anyway!
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19892 posts
4109 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
You can get a copy of the accident report. That might show what the various parties were charged with. They seem to be ok telling other drivers but they aren't always specific.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)